Whence those chest emblems in the "Bat Resources" section?

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rickrickrick

Whence those chest emblems in the "Bat Resources" section?

Post by rickrickrick »

Sorry, this is kind of a dumb question, but I searched all around and couldn't find the answer myself.

The chest emblems in the "Bat Resources" section of the board - where are they from? Did someone scan a screen used emblem and then draw up vector art versions? Is the original source from the well-known Hardeman collection? It looks to be.

I ask because I am just about out of Chuck's wonderful emblems, so I am faced with making my own, and want to be as accurate as reasonably possible. I am so accustomed to Chuck's emblem, which is markedly different from the "Resources" one, that I wondered what the difference is. Is Chuck's his own interpretation, or was his also based on a screen-used emblem, but a DIFFERENT one from the "Resources" example?

My thanks in advance for any info anyone has! Cheers!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
hobbybuilder01

Re: Whence those chest emblems in the "Bat Resources" sectio

Post by hobbybuilder01 »

the resource one is the symetrical one Chuck's were derived from the Hardeman suit
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

hobbybuilder01 wrote:the resource one is the symetrical one Chuck's were derived from the Hardeman suit
Correction. The Resource section has both a symmetrical one and the one from the Hardeman suit. Somebody did vectors of both. The Hardeman one was based on the scan that Wally did of it eons ago.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

The closest to one of mine is definitely the asymmetrical emblem but even it has been cleaned up a bit, similar to my first emblems where I touched up things like making the ears the same size and smoothing bumps and divots in the line.

My original was also created by the same source, Wally's scan.

My later and final emblem was created after I had access to Marks original suit and is much more irregular and untouched.
I'm happy to say that after seeing the Azarian emblem up close in the photos from the museum, a lot of those irregularities are in the screen and seen on both emblems.

Sorry I had to stop selling these. It was the first thing we made available to the Bat-Fans here,
but we were tapped by WB so it is what it is.

At least there is a source for the art here and a darn good place to start to create your own for your personal use.
Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Okay, many thanks for the clarifications, all.

I'm assuming the originals were silk-screened, and were all pretty much the same. Judging from the zillions of PR photos and screen grabs I've looked at (unlike the cowls and belts and pretty much everything else) the chest emblems were fairly consistent!

Cheers!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Chuck,

Yours were printed on fairly rigid adhesive stock - would you mind telling us what type it is?
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Just something the printer had that was the right weight and adhesive.

I don't have a brand name for anything.

rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Maybe this should be a new thread, but it is related to the original topic, so...

I'm pretty excited about these. Not perfect by a long shot, but for a first try, I think they are all right.

I drew up my own version of the chest emblem, based mostly on photos of the emblem on the Azarian collection suit, and had vinyl stickers printed up.

To compare them with Chuck's, the yellow is a bit dark, the black is not as saturated, they are much thinner, and they are more reflective, but not out-and-out glossy. Also, the adhesive is not as tenacious. Will they stand up to the heat and sweat of a long-term wearing? Don't know. I was pleased that it peeled off my leotard without leaving residue, which was a major concern.

As someone who generally expects his first crack at something to be terrible, these are not a bad first effort.

I'm going to try to treat one with matte clear coat and see how that works. Cheers!

RRR
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Looks very good!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Congrats Rick!

Looks very similar to one of my first emblem screens.
WELL DONE!!

Chuck...

rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Thanks, Chuck. The stupid bat took forever to draw! I really wanted it to reflect the weird irregularities I saw in the screen used ones. I knew it was asymmetrical, but never fully realized how much so until I tried to replicate it!

RRR
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Well, I got to road-test one of my new chest emblem stickers today. Sadly, it was very humid, and it started to peel off before I even left the ready room!

Very disappointed. They look okay, but the adhesive is not tenacious enough to withstand a sweaty leotard.

PS - I tried to matte one down with matte clearcoat, but it made almost no difference - still a bit too shiny.

So, back to the drawing board. At least these will make nice handouts to kids at events. :roll:

RRR
rickrickrick

Re: Whence those chest emblems in the "Bat Resources" section?

Post by rickrickrick »

Just a super-quick followup to this thread.

My first experience was disappointing, but it was an unusually humid day at a mostly outdoor event. I wore these emblems very successfully while at SDCC, and have used them in three other appearances, all of which were indoors with well-regulated climate control. I am actually VERY pleased at how well they've worked. No fussing with carpet tape, no sticky residue on my tights - just peel, stick, and go. Are they as thick as Chuck's vinyl emblems? No. Are they as matte as I'd like? No. But for an inexpensive (less than $1.50/each when bought in bulk) experiment, they have been great. And after re-watching bluray episodes, and seeing how absolutely crumpled Adam's emblems were at times, I'm less critical of the little bumps and wrinkles mine sometimes get.

I will continue to search out a thicker option, but in the interim, I have come to feel really good about these.

Cheers!

RRR
westbatman

Post by westbatman »

I believe the art in that section might be mine or Lee's. I'm not positive as it was a long time ago.

Andy
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

westbatman wrote:I believe the art in that section might be mine or Lee's. I'm not positive as it was a long time ago.

Andy
Neither. But I'm spacing on the who the member was now.