Toy Photography with 66 Batman Figures.

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Dave from the UK

Re: Toy Photography with 66 Batman Figures.

Post by Dave from the UK »

I reckon the 6" figure shots would have the most appeal to non-geeks. Because even non-geeks will recognise at a glance that they are toys and therefore get why these picture are so much fun.

Your Hot Toy shot is my favourite. I love it. How did you make the ladder?
KustomJeff

Post by KustomJeff »

Thanks, I already sell the prints of the 6" figures and everyone loves them, but most are "too cool" to actually buy them. :-P I like the shark picture, but my wife doesn't like the background, I think it's pretty good, just brighter than the movie.

The ladder was made using short popsicle sticks from a crafts store that were left laying around from 10 years ago when my stepdaughter was still in school. I taped a bunch together into manageable stacks then drilled holes. Then I used cord that looks like small rope to run down one side at a time. I left a bunch at the end to secure it to the rack then I tied a knot, then figured the distance to the next rung and tied a new knot then put the rung on the string. Basically, I built one side at a time and tied knot where I wanted the rung to be and slide the wood to that point then moved to the next one. For the second side I had to be more careful to keep the rungs even.
I'm on Instagram as kustomjeff if you want to see more toy pics and some motorcycle stuff too. :-P
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

KustomJeff wrote:One of my latest shots with the Hot Toys figure. I'm still not happy with the background, but it'll take a while before I can get a chance to work on it some more.

ImageBatShark2 by Kustom Jeff, on Flickr

A second version
ImageBatShark1 by Kustom Jeff, on Flickr

Let me know what ya think.

Dude, this looks freak'n awesome!! You nailed the pose!!
Keep 'em coming!

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
KustomJeff

Post by KustomJeff »

Thanks Jeremy, I try to either recreate a scene or at least make a scene that would fit into an episode of the show. It took me forever to get the shark right for these shots. I ended up cutting off the the sharks lower jaw and then putting a stick up his hind end and mounting it to a base. I had to use a 2lb sledge hammer to hold the base down because of the angle of the shark leaning way over the base.
I'm on Instagram as kustomjeff if you want to see more toy pics and some motorcycle stuff too. :-P
KustomJeff

Post by KustomJeff »

Just added a few more pictures I've been working on. You can see all of my photography on my website at http://www.whatiseeimagery.com I have a bunch of Batman and Evel Knievel pictures as well as "normal" pictures. :-P

ImageBatmanKnockout WM by Kustom Jeff, on Flickr

ImageBatmanKnockout2 WM by Kustom Jeff, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1226-01 WM by Kustom Jeff, on Flickr

Hope ya like em. This is one of the few places my toy work is actually appreciated and understood. :-D
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

KustomJeff wrote:Just added a few more pictures I've been working on. You can see all of my photography on my website at http://www.whatiseeimagery.com I have a bunch of Batman and Evel Knievel pictures as well as "normal" pictures. :-P

ImageBatmanKnockout WM by Kustom Jeff, on Flickr

ImageBatmanKnockout2 WM by Kustom Jeff, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1226-01 WM by Kustom Jeff, on Flickr

Hope ya like em. This is one of the few places my toy work is actually appreciated and understood. :-D

These are great!! I dig the BIFF!! and the BOFF! Nice touch!

-Jeremy
KustomJeff

Post by KustomJeff »

Thanks Jeremy! Years ago I came across a page that had screen captures of most of the full screen fight screens. Over the years I've been working on recreating my favorites and try to work them in where I can. :-P The Hot Toys Robin that my Wife ordered me for my birthday is supposed to be here today so I'm ready to start planning the next round of pictures. :-P
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

Can't wait to see the photo's you come up with when Robin arrives!

-Jeremy
dell

Post by dell »

Some more good stuff. Well done!
dell
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Love the BIFF & BOFF. Looks great!! Fun fun stuff.
STP Swallowthispill

Post by STP Swallowthispill »

KustomJeff wrote:I would LOVE to do a scene like that. The hard part is finding the right setting that can be made to look like the entrance to the cave. I will redouble my efforts to find a suitable spot though. :-D
I to am interested in seeing a scene like that you may want to try and make the exit of bat cave.
Try to replicate Bronson canyon in miniature and dress it like the scene where the bat mobile comes out of the cave. Would be easy to make a fake canyon with either wood covered with wire then paper Mache and paint.
Or in nature find two big rocks and position them so you will have an gap between them to use as the fake cave fabricate a hinged door that looks like the cave door must open inward though.
Dress the whole area with foliage and add the flip down sign after the bat mobile makes it's signature "S" curve before the flip down sign then the Gotham City 25 miles sign and Voila!

I know you can do it!

Just an Idea by the way love the pictures!
where did you get the figures?

Charles
KustomJeff

Post by KustomJeff »

STP Swallowthispill wrote:
KustomJeff wrote:I would LOVE to do a scene like that. The hard part is finding the right setting that can be made to look like the entrance to the cave. I will redouble my efforts to find a suitable spot though. :-D
I to am interested in seeing a scene like that you may want to try and make the exit of bat cave.
Try to replicate Bronson canyon in miniature and dress it like the scene where the bat mobile comes out of the cave. Would be easy to make a fake canyon with either wood covered with wire then paper Mache and paint.
Or in nature find two big rocks and position them so you will have an gap between them to use as the fake cave fabricate a hinged door that looks like the cave door must open inward though.
Dress the whole area with foliage and add the flip down sign after the bat mobile makes it's signature "S" curve before the flip down sign then the Gotham City 25 miles sign and Voila!

I know you can do it!

Just an Idea by the way love the pictures!
where did you get the figures?

Charles

My problem with making the scene is time and a place to work. Between my regular job, my regular photography work and working on my custom motorcycles and being active in my motorcycle Riding Club my time is tight. I have some ideas in my head I just have to get them out into the world. :-P As for the figures, it depends on which ones you mean, the small ones are the regular Mattel line the next size up are the Figures Toy Co. 66 figures and the larger ones are the Hot Toys Adam West Batman and a generic 21st Century Toys 12" figure dressed like a GOON. Thanks for the support and the ideas, I'll be working on it as much as I can. At least I will once I've worn the new off the 12" figures I just got. :_P
STP Swallowthispill

Post by STP Swallowthispill »

KustomJeff wrote:One of my latest shots with the Hot Toys figure. I'm still not happy with the background, but it'll take a while before I can get a chance to work on it some more.

ImageBatShark2 by Kustom Jeff, on Flickr

A second version
ImageBatShark1 by Kustom Jeff, on Flickr

Let me know what ya think.
Man I tell you when I first saw this I thought it was a shot from the movie it is that good!

Charles
KustomJeff

Post by KustomJeff »

"Man I tell you when I first saw this I thought it was a shot from the movie it is that good!

Charles"

WOW Thanks!!! That put a smile on my face. :-D
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

These setups keep getting better and better, Jeff!