dying to dye my tights

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Jimmy L. 66

dying to dye my tights

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Greetings Citizens...
I have been looking thru the boards and cannot find a definitive thread on dying the tights, although I though I had seen one before.
I am comfortable with all the Rit instructions, mostly looking for the "Color Formula".
I have 2 liquid Pearl Grey, and 1/8 teaspoon of purple, also liquid.
Wash tights, pre mix liquids in jar of hot water, Dye wet, wash after until water is clear, wash washer
some say 1/4 of the purple, but I think that is for powder, correct.
I am hoping to do it tonight, so any help is appreciated.
Batman65

Re: dying to dye my tights

Post by Batman65 »

When mine came from Onstage, I just dove right in and did it myself, yes I said myself. Wife told me I wasn't doing it in her washer, so I did it before she got home, lol. After clean up, all was good. As stated on the old thread, it was EXTREMELY easy. It looks like you have it all down pretty good as far as procedure. 2 pkgs of pearl grey with the 1/8 tsp of purple in a half full washer for 1/2 hr did it for me. Wife said they looked too purple, until they dried. They lightened up a tad and I think I got them VERY close to what they should be. Look at my post in the Matty Cowl mod. thread to judge for yourself.
batfan1705

Post by batfan1705 »

I used the RIT powder for my tights and I was able to do it right the first go. The important thing to remember is don't judge the colour until the tights are completely dry. It always looks way too dark while it is still wet.
Hedji

Post by Hedji »

My 2 cents... Add a little orange. Maybe an eighth of a teaspoon. It'll offset some of the overly blue tint and give a warmer grey. I'm still thinking about adding more orange to mine.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

here we go. one try.
thanks for the tips and support, especially Chuck, and Batman65.
You guys were right, I could not be much easier.
I did not try Orange, hedji, but maybe next time.
I took some pics with cowl fabric from the Williams, and an emblem.
I like the color and may experiment a lil next time with more grey and purple-
but I love how they came out.
What a difference the lighting makes.....
much better than my V.1" stunt" tights.
for the record I-
washer half full, poured in 1.5 bottles of the pearl grey, and a smidge ( 2 small drops fell in washer)
over1/8 purple.
thanks for looking
Attachments
next to stunt tights
next to stunt tights
outside in daylight
outside in daylight
inside flash
inside flash
inside no flash
inside no flash
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Yep the lighting makes a huge difference as Chuck will certainly attest to. Looks to me like you nailed it! Easy wasn't it?
batjonsey36

Post by batjonsey36 »

Good afternoon all! So I have read this and gathered a lot of info. I bought two 8 ounce Rit pearl grey liquid dye and one purple. So I will put my tights together in a half full washer of hot water and add both bottles of grey and 1/8 teaspoon of purple through the soap dispenser and let it wash. Now when do I stop the process and how do I dry?

Thank you!!!
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Run it about 20 - 30 minutes stopping every few minutes to untangle. Wear rubber gloves. You will probably have to adjust the timer during the process. When they are almost done, let them run through the rinse cycle. Wash them first before dying. I let mine air dry. They will look purple ish but will lighten as they dry. Clean up per the instructions on the box. You will find this is really easy. Good luck my friend.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I just saw you have bottles. I used the powder. You will have to adjust because the liquid is concentrated. The ratio may be different. Chuck, do you have any input on this?
batjonsey36

Post by batjonsey36 »

Thank you!!!! So the liquid is concentrated? Thanks for the heads up hopefully if Chuck has time he can advise on using the liquid dye(s) thank you again!!!!
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

I understand the liquid bottle equals 2 packs of powder.
I used 1 and 1/2 bottles of grey, and 1/8 purple.
I did not pour dye(s) into soap dispenser, rather directly into 1/2 full washer, and agitated for a bit to get it mixed.
put in still wet from being washed tights in, I washed for 30 minutes and then let cycle run.
I then ran short wash cycle again to rinse tights.
removed and hung to dry, washed washer using directions on bottle.
It was a lil nerve racking because I didn't want to mess them up, but like Baman65 says it is sooooo easy.
when you are done, you'll be all " What was the big deal yo?"
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Exactly. I was told in no uncertain terms that I " wasn't messing up her washer".. so I did it before she got home.. Lol, no mess at all. It will be easier than you think. Go for it.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Great Job!!! They came out nice and even too.
WELL DONE!!!!

I don't use the liquid so I can't help there in amounts of any additional colors other than a bottle equals two boxes.
I recall seeing that info on the RIT website though. How much liquid equals half a teaspoon of powder , etc.

You ALWAYS want to mix your dyes together before adding your fabric.
I do not recommend adding a color to the soap dispenser.

The biggest tip I can give is to read the instructions on the box/bottle and to follow the directions on the box/bottle.
Everything you need to know for the procedure is right there.

Again, GREAT JOB!!
Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
batjonsey36

Post by batjonsey36 »

I really appreciate the support thank you for the help everyone!!!
The Batker

Post by The Batker »

I've had my tights for three months and still haven't dyed them. Basically the only washer available to me is a front facing washer. I'm very nervous about using a bucket and I'm just not sure how to go about this. Lol with Halloween around the corner I just want to get it figured out.