dying to dye my tights

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Batman65

Re: dying to dye my tights

Post by Batman65 »

The Batker wrote:Rite had a tutorial on how to dye fabric with hot water in a 5 gallon bucket. I dyed it in 3 gallons of boiling hot water. I used 2 things of gray and just a little bit of purple. I'd say I used half of a forth of a bottle... Whatever that comes out to.

I premixed the dye and then stirred it into the water. I paper tested it and it seemed to be a somewhat bluish gray at first. Maybe I used too much purple.
I told you Chuck was the man! Let me know how you come out. Good luck my friend.

Ken
The Batker

Post by The Batker »

So I tried the redye with 2 tbls of orange on the stove and it looks more purple and less dark then it did. Perhaps I did something wrong lol, I'm gonna try the orange again and for longer and if that doesn't work in going to try the color remover.

Thank you so much Chuck for your input and guidance. I really appreciate it.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Happy to help!

Got my fingers crossed for ya! :D
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
batjonsey36

Post by batjonsey36 »

No offense, I dyed on the stove and mine came out a darker grey and I love the color!
The Batker

Post by The Batker »

Haha I think I just put way too much purple
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Greetings Citizens!
I am bumping this thread in the interest of sharing and gaining knowledge and experience, using the same set mentioned in the beging of this thread.
So after approximately a dozen or so outings i decided to re-dye my tights. Color is fading a bit, and I have had little success getting out the sweat stains ( fighting crime is a sweaty business).
I ordered a new set from Onstage. and held off on the old set as I was a little nervous about how the dye would affect the stained area.
So new tights, not as easy and great as first set, must have gotten lucky.
Issue #1 - different colors. Tunic and leggings are different colors. I believe someone else may have had this problem? A possible suggestion at the time, I believe, was maybe the fabric had come from different bolts? Came out of same package, same dye bath, same amount of time. I stirred and lifted, and ran the water thru the garments every 5 minutes during the soaking.When I pulled them from the water, there was a very noticeable difference. My invoice does not say supplex on the order for tunic, However, this one matches old set in texture and color (after dye bath). My invoice does mention Supplex for the leggings, but they are the oddball of the 3 pieces. Both tags say Supplex, but just looking at the texture I can tell they are different fabrics. A touch also confirms this.They have a more synthetic feel. Before I call On Stage, Has this happened to anyone else? any thoughts, or advice? how can i make sure next pair matches?
Issuse #2 spots. I could not have stirred and lifted and made sure everything was evenly soaked. I pre washed as well, any ideas what might have happened?
Issuse #3 does any have experience with the sweat stains? I am having little luck removing them, can i just dye over them?
So, I think I am going to try to dye the 2 tops and 1 leggings together for a match. then maybe order a new set.
Any thoughts or advice sure would be appreciated.
Attachments
pits of justice
pits of justice
20180326_190557.jpg (68.81 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
blotch on new tunic
blotch on new tunic
20180326_190507.jpg (23.71 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
from the top: old tunic, old leggings, new top, new leggings.
from the top: old tunic, old leggings, new top, new leggings.
20180326_190411.jpg (35.84 KiB) Viewed 2865 times