Sticking Those Chest Emblems

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Batman65

Sticking Those Chest Emblems

Post by Batman65 »

Ok guys, quick question here for those of you that have "been there". What are you using to attach the bat emblems to your tunics? For my pics, I just stuck it on with Scotch dbl sided tape, but that was only for the photos. I have read about the Krylon temp stick stuff but I'm not sure if I want to use that stuff or not. What works best without messing with the tunic?
rajung

Re: Sticking Those Chest Emblems

Post by rajung »

I would use double sided carpet tape.
no aerosol
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hi, Andy,
According to my 30+ year old notes, I did what rajung suggested; double stick carpet tape, preferably a thin one.
Cheers
Larry
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Yeah, be careful with carpet tape - some varieties leave gooey residue on your tights. If anyone has a specific one they like that DOESN'T leave residue, please post your findings!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

rickrickrick wrote:Yeah, be careful with carpet tape - some varieties leave gooey residue on your tights. If anyone has a specific one they like that DOESN'T leave residue, please post your findings!

RRR

And that is exactly what I am hoping to avoid here. Thanks RRR
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Just a thought; If the double-stick carpet tape did leave a mark, and You cannot get it off, use the mark to show You where the emblem goes. What ever brand I used all those years ago obviously didn't leave a mark. If it had, I'd have left myself a note about it.

Cheers
Larry
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

What about painting a smaller oval in fabric paint to give the tape a better surface to grab to? Any goo on the paint would clean up better on a painted surface than on the raw fabric and if the emblem is going in the same place , no worries...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Morning, Chuck, and Lynne,
That is a terrific idea. It's one of those, IMO, ideas that I wish I had thought of! Your idea is one I'd recommend to all Bat-philes. Great catch, Chuck!

Cheers,
Larry
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Can't take credit for this. They were doing something like it 50 years ago! :D
This is the Hardeman original costume...
Attachments
emblempaint.jpgb2.jpg

Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Ha ha, that's because that screened on one looked all wrinkled. :)
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Howdy fellas,
Chuck, that is a good photo!. B-65, You're right! Believe it or not, I've actually seen copies of A.W.'s Bat Suit that have had the insignia sewn on.....and I don't mean Rubies. One fellow actually had a well done embroidered emblem sewn on! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Larry
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

I think the idea of creating a fabric paint area for the emblem is great, but have a question: what kind of paint would be flexible enough to go on a leotard that gets stretched so much? I'm not being a contrarian, I'm really asking that question. What would be flexible enough? I have no experience with any fabric paint that would take the wear and tear of stretching that much AND survive repeated washing.

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Here's a thread that deals with this subject:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=155249
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Rick, I just remembered something and checked my notebooks from my costuming business day and I used a good acrylic fabric paint from Wally World on a Superman outfit for a guy and I first sewed a heavy non-stretch fabric in the shape of the shield to the underside of the leotard with a tight straight stitch. I, then painted on the "right" side of the fabric, the "S" shield, although it could have been a sewn on "S"....similar to what I plan to do for my "Bat-Sprang" suit.
Hey Batfanman...Thanks for the link, after reading this link, some of it WAs stuff I used, so to speak, but had forgotten to write down. I am writing it down this time,
I hope that this helps, Rick,

Good Luck, and as always, Live Long + Prosper.....OOOPSSSS! Wrong 60s show :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . I mean, Cheers,
Larry
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

rickrickrick wrote:I think the idea of creating a fabric paint area for the emblem is great, but have a question: what kind of paint would be flexible enough to go on a leotard that gets stretched so much? I'm not being a contrarian, I'm really asking that question. What would be flexible enough? I have no experience with any fabric paint that would take the wear and tear of stretching that much AND survive repeated washing.

RRR
The link to Dharma seen above gives you all the info about the possible fabric paints.

I think even if it cracks it's just a base. Looks like the the material under the emblem I posted is cracked and has irregular edges.

As long as it's a better surface for the emblem/tape/glue to stick to than fuzzy fabric , a crack shouldn't matter.

Here is a tunic that shows just this technique used. It was probably second season due to the velvet collar.

Some folks have stated that they started placing the attached emblem over the screen printed tunic but here you see that they also created the area minus the bat art.

I think for this very issue.

But you also have original tights without this area filled in so it's still a mystery!

Chuck...
Attachments
Batman Original Costume 02 3-17-5.jpg
Batman Original Costume 02 3-17-5.jpg (10.87 KiB) Viewed 4810 times