Bat Tights

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Larry A.

Re: Bat Tights

Post by Larry A. »

Anytime, My Friend, Anytime. Glad I can help.

Cheers,
Larry
pikwik

Post by pikwik »

Seems JoAnn Fabric no longer sells crepe back satin in Navy Blue? At least not online...

Where are most people buying the material for cape/trunks/gloves these days?
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

You might look for it at Hancock Fabrics, a.k.a. Fabric Warehouse. I don't know where You live, but You might wish to P.M. Chuck Williams on this board and ask him.

Good Luck and Cheers,
Larry
pikwik

Post by pikwik »

Will do; thanks!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

You are Welcome! Another place that You might look, if You have them is "Hobby Lobby". They ususally have a lot of Good Fabrics.

Cheers,
Larry
Parker Gabriel

Post by Parker Gabriel »

Bluth Wayne wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:18 pm Hi all!

I'm new here, but I am in the beginning process of putting together a suit of my own.

FWIW and if folks are open to a suggestion, I Googled "navy blue medium weight bridal satin" based on Lynne Williams' suggestion outlined in dreddbatfan's post above and I came across this:

http://onthegolinens.com/navyblue-brida ... ablecloths

You can order them in "round" which could make the cape that much easier to assemble plus, based on the measurements you'd probably have leftover material for the trunks, cowl, gloves/gauntlets or whatever else you still need.

I haven't pulled the trigger on this yet, but I will report back on how it goes if/when I do.
You could go for this version.
:D
" http://onthegolinens.com/black-bridalsatin-tablecloths ."
:lol:
“To the Batcave--we haven’t ONE moment to LOSE!!!”
ironfist

Post by ironfist »

Hello all! First post. I contacted the glove maker, the shoe maker and Chuck Williams. Still waiting to hear back on 2 of them. As of now I only have the Matty cowl and belt as my starting points. I do plan to upgrade. I saw somewhere a mention of a downloadable file for the chest logo to go have printed on card stock and use double stick carpet tape to adhere to the suit. I'm new so I don't know where to locate the file. Thanks in advance. Theirs so much info here. Ive been reading for 2 days.
-K-
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hello, I.F.
Yep, there's a lot to read here. I can't write for long as there is a storm headed towards Fairborn and I need to get off before it hits. Unless someone on the board can find it for You, it just takes time. You might use the search function at the top of the board.

Cheerts,
Larry
ironfist

Post by ironfist »

Thanks Larry! I'm trying. but not coming up with anything.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

The chest logo was always available here on the board. If you do a quick search, you should be able to find it. I will see if I can find the link for you, or I am sure Scott or Ben has the link. I glued mine to .010 styrene available at any well stocked hobby shop, then used double sided carpet tape to hold it to the tunic.
Frank_The_Riddler

Post by Frank_The_Riddler »

Batfanman wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:31 am Others have said that the gray that they offer is not the correct shade. I got white and dyed them with 2 boxes of Pearl Gray & 3/8 teaspoon of aubergine. Others use purple if aubergine can't be found. Follow instructions on the box.

In case this happens to you, I will add that, in my case, I had to continually tweak the shade on the bottoms as they did not emerge the same shade as the top from the first round of dyeing (both tunic & tights together.) The bottoms came out lighter than the top and I surmised that this was because the top and bottom were not created from the same lot of fabric. So I just had to re-dye them 3 or 4 times, each time adding just a little more at a time of the shade I felt was missing until they matched. So be patient in the process and don't use too much dye if you have to go through this. It's always easier to add a little at a time than to over do it.

Good luck!
Ok I know this is an old post but about to buy my dye to do my costume they now offer liquid dye instead of powder dye anyone have the formula to get the correct Batman colour for the tights and top ? I can only find purple no aubergine.
Frank_The_Riddler

Post by Frank_The_Riddler »

No one ? :(
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Frank_The_Riddler wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:24 pm No one ? :(
Never been a sure fire recipe. I've always had to eye match in small steps load after load. Always had to use mostly Grey with a touch of Purple (never could find the aubergine). Certainly never saw a rough estimate for using the liquid even though it's been around for ages even back when I started nearly twenty years ago. I just stuck with the powders as they were easier to measure and I was used to them. And I've dyed a lot of tights.
Parker Gabriel

Post by Parker Gabriel »

I have little use for the notion of the jackets or trousers of BatCostumes being tinted, shaded, or toned with any infusion of blue, red, or any combination of the two. One of the details of the BatCostumes that has to be considered is that, in the DC Comics, the jacket and trousers are supposed to be dark gray, though the utility belt and the badge on the jacket chest can both be gold. All the other components of a BatCostume--the hood, the cloak, the gauntlets, the shorts, and the boots--are supposed to be bat-black.

For those specific reasons, whenever I have sought to duplicate Batman’s BatCostume, which I have done twice, I have “skeletoned” each of those two BatCostumes around dark gray sweatsuits that have both been smaller in size than I actually wear, have assembled the black hoods and the pairs of black gauntlets by hand, have relied on unlined store-bought black capes with hem scalloping, and have used pairs of high black boots that I have possessed to take care of the rest. In short, lacking similar financial resources to those Bruce Wayne can summon, I have employed whatever I have been able either to find or to construct personally.

To be sure, I am nowhere near as TALL as Bruce Wayne is supposed to be, but what I have managed to duplicate has been good enough to pass muster. Barely. Both times, the results of my efforts have looked like exactly what they have both been--poor man’s versions of what Jan Kemp used at least THOUSANDS of coins to duplicate. Sad to say, I have no surviving photographs from either of those occasions, but hopefully, you DO get the idea.
“To the Batcave--we haven’t ONE moment to LOSE!!!”
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

If you really want to find Aubergine, here's the Bat-industrial size supply - enough to dye until you die (and then some!)

Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66