Super-powered Batmagnet Prop Replica

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rickrickrick

Super-powered Batmagnet Prop Replica

Post by rickrickrick »

Hello, all.

I just wanted to share with you my most recent hand-made prop replica. I have always thought this prop was very amusing, and was always a little surprised it only appeared once.

It's the Super-powered Batmagnet from the Bookworm episode "While Gotham City Burns," which is Part Two of that Season One two-parter.
croppedbatmagnet.jpg
croppedbatmagnet.jpg (76.85 KiB) Viewed 4489 times
croppedprop1.jpg
IMG_3550.jpg
It is made quite completely from scratch. I cut the body and magnet out of a piece of 1x10 pine shelving, and the "barrel" is a 7/8" dowel. All the disks are cut from scraps of plywood or mdf that I had lying around. The grip is made from ethafoam insulation rod, the sight is welding rod with a circular key ring glued together, and the trigger guard is cut from a piece of craft tin I already had. The coils are aluminum armature wire, and the fitting for the cord is a coax cable connector embedded in the stock.

I really tossed this together quickly, so I could get my photo op at the Chiller Theatre con with it. But I think it turned out reasonably well, seen from a distance, anyway, and I've never seen anyone else make one. When I went in for my photo op with Adam, Burt, and Julie, Fred immediately ID'ed it, and Adam did a "Woah, look at this!"

So, overall, I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. Another obscure prop to add to my collection!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Batfanman

Re: Super-powered Batmagnet Prop Replica

Post by Batfanman »

Looks great RRR. I'm surprised that there wasn't a Bat-logo on the original or something that made it look more bat-like.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I spotted this over the weekend in your photos from Chiller! This came out great, Rick!
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

That's really cool!!

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Cool, Indeed, Rick.
Just out of curiosity, how did You figure out the dimensions for it. It looks like something I could build in my apartment. Come to think of it; What ARE the dimensions of it, if You would, please?

Thanks,
Larry
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

WHOA Indeed!!!!

You knocked this out of the park Rick!!!!
Love everything about it.

WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Thanks, all. If I hadn't been on a deadline, there are lots of things I would have done differently. Making it all from scratch proved to be a bigger challenge than expected. Of course, they probably built it all on an existing prop gun, so they were already halfway there! I didn't have that advantage.

Larry, I tried to estimate dimensions based on the prop's relation to Adam. For example, we know he was 6' 2", and a human head is generally about 9" tall, so how did the prop compare to his height?, etc. And I made estimates based on things like how much room his gloved hand took up on the grip, how big it was compared to the known dimensions of the Batmobile, and so on. It was really crude guesswork based on framegrabs and repeated viewings of the brief scenes in which it appears. My main issues with the final result are that I think the barrel is too long and too narrow, the coils too small, and the body too thin. In the end, I was just thrilled that Fred and Adam knew what it was on sight!

RRR

PS - I think it ended up being about 3 1/2' long.
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

That is an extremely well made prop. You did an amazing job on this! Looks just like the original.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Too cool!
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

very nice. nice pic of you and the gang as well!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Thanks Rick. I've had to do that before and it does help to have a solid baseline measurement, such as Adam's height. I have no doubt about Your doubts, but remember, We are usually our own worst critics. I think You did a great job. I hope that I can do that well on my own Bat Radio.
Glad You are back!
Larry
Meule

Post by Meule »

Absolutely fantastic, I love it. Job well done is an understatement in this case
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
tmmello

Post by tmmello »

Looks fantastic, getting ready to model a mego sized one. ;-)