Batgirl Belt Modification

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Clavier Ankh

Batgirl Belt Modification

Post by Clavier Ankh »

I just bought the Grand Heritage Batgirl costume for my wife. I plan on making some changes to make it a bit more accurate. One is to re-do the belt and boxes. In searching the correct style fish scale belt, I can't find one large enough to fit. Has anyone ever bought two belts, cut a portion out of one and attached to the other to make a larger version? With the scales I wasn't sure if this was possible. Or if the scales could be pulled off where the new section of belt would need to be attached and sew the belt pieces together. The cape or belt boxes could hide the join if the scales could not be remounted. At least that's my thought at the moment

Thanks
Scott
Larry A.

Re: Batgirl Belt Modification

Post by Larry A. »

Yes, I did YEARS ago for a buddy whose wife wanted to do Catwoman. It was tricky, but can be done.
1st.) Get a seam ripper and remove the stitches on the back of the belt on one end only.
2.) Remove the matching end from the 2nd belt.
Now here is where it gets tricky/sticky/ finicky:
3.) Take the first belt and place so that the scales of the 2nd belt overlap the 1st belt at the point where the buckles were.
4.) Sew the two together with a heavy thread by hand, . Knot off and You are done. I hope that this helps. :D

If you have any ?s, please P. M. me

Happy Stitching,
Larry
Clavier Ankh

Post by Clavier Ankh »

Fantastic!

I'm going to buy two and give it a shot. If I run into trouble I'll give you a shout.
Thanks very much Larry!!

Scott
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Any time, Scott!
Larry
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

Scott, I know this is an old thread, but how did the belt turn out? Pursuing this for my wife at the request of our son.

Mike