Bat Mobile J Model

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Larry A.

Bat Mobile J Model

Post by Larry A. »

Hi Folks,
I just picked up the back issue of Batman 66 wherein Bat Man and Bat Girl go to Japan to confront Lord
Death Man and I saw the Bat Mobile J. I'd like to build a model of it, but I need the advice of the readers of the forum. The front of the vehicle looks for all the world like a Datsun 260 or 280Z. The back of the car is what puzzles me. Any idea Bat Fans? I am looking to build it in 1/24th scale to match my Johnny Lightning 1950 Bat Mobile and 1966 Bat Mobile. I've picked up a set of Tamiya racing figures because it has not only 2 or 3 seated male figures, but a seated Female figure that I thought I would modify to Bat Girl.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Larry
Larry A.

Re: Bat Mobile J Model

Post by Larry A. »

Hi All!

I'd like to publicly give a Great Big 'THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! to Lord Death Man for clearing up the answer to my question listed above! The Batmobile-J is Yellow because in Japan the color Yellow means "Courage"!

Thank You again, Lord Death Man!!!!!!!!! I am MOST Gratefull!!!!!
Larry
Waterratt

Post by Waterratt »

I was unfamiliar with this car, as I stopped collecting comics many years ago, but did find a picture which I attached. It looks very much like a 1960's Datsun 240Z, which I also attached a picture of. It can be done, but would need a lot of body modifications, which can be very intimidating to a novice builder. I don't know your skill level, but if you are comfortable, have at it, it looks like it would be great fun. If there are no pictures of the back of the car, use your imagination, you can't be wrong until they draw it. I would probably leave the back as is, maybe modify the tail lights. Youtube has plenty of custom model car building tutorials, I would also check out Scale Auto Enthusiast, it's a great magazine for model car building.

Revell-Monogram produced a kit of the 240Z, which you can probably pick-up on ebay between $10.00-$30.00.

Good luck, have fun and post pictures.
Attachments
LDM02.jpg
827792f6f91eb0e8ebc73b6564cd2e3a.jpg
827792f6f91eb0e8ebc73b6564cd2e3a.jpg (46.41 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
Waterratt

Post by Waterratt »

Looking at it more, it also has the front look of a 1960's Porsche 911. It is going to require a lot of kit bashing.
Attachments
Porsche-911.jpg
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Thanks Waterrat! The comic does show the rear end of the Batmobile J. That's where Your picture came from, BTW.
I do also thank You for the info as to which model I need to buy. I hope it's in 1/24lth scale so I can use the figures I bought to use in my Johnny Lightning 1950 Bat Mobile. Since Lord Death Man was kind enough to explain to me why the Batmobile J was painted yellow, my model woll also be yellow per the comic book.
If I had the monies and space to do it, I'd love to built a full size car of the J model. Now THERE would be a sight: the full size 1950 Batmobile and the 1966 Batmobile J car side by side. (sigh!)
BTW, Thank You again, Lord Death Man, for helping me out about the color. Thank You too, Waterrat!!!

Cheers,
Larry
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hey Waterrat! I just found the book that I was looking for. It is an old (1952) book on hobbies one can do at home and it covers in one chapter, model car making from scratch. I can use the parts from the Z machine and build the body my self. I won't be able to start for a few months, as I have a few other projects going on as well as Christmas and such. But I plan to make a copy of the J, sooner or later.

Cheers,
Larry
Waterratt

Post by Waterratt »

I looked up the Datsun 240Z model kit, it is 1:25th scale, which is close enough to 1:24th. I've built a lot of car models, you won't know the difference. Good luck with the project, looking forward to seeing pictures.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Thanks, Waterrat. Much obliged!
Larry