I Made the Robin Costume - First sewing project!

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
potterlad

I Made the Robin Costume - First sewing project!

Post by potterlad »

Ever since I was a kid, I fantasized about being the Boy Wonder. So in the three months leading up to Halloween, my husband and I got to work on creating the Robin costume.

It was a big endeavor for us, since neither of us have ever sewn before. So, we ordered the super awesome Williams Studio blueprints from online, and watched A LOT of Youtube tutorial vids. Everything in the costume was made by us (with the exception of the gloves, which are Rubie's costume gloves I ordered from Amazon).

I know it's not perfect, and certain details (and colours) are off. But I intend on refining the costume before wearing it to Fan Expo here in Toronto this summer.

Here are pics of me from Halloween night. There was a big costume party at the Royal Ontario Museum, so it seemed a suitable setting for the Boy Wonder to appear, in case any villains showed up to steal a priceless artifact :)

[imghttp://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w628/badlactose/James%20and%20I%20Robin%20red%20carpet_zpslztmvdj8.jpg][/img]

dell

Re: I Made the Robin Costume - First sewing project!

Post by dell »

Wow, looks good.
dell
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

You did an amazing job for a first sew job. I had no idea how to sew either and I did the same as you, watched a lot of you tube vids and learned, then I made my own bat boots. They turned out great. Congrats on your new found skill. It looks fantastic!
tmmello

Post by tmmello »

Looks fantastic, great job. :-)
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

WOW!!!!! You have done a Magnificent Job! Now, what did Your Husband go as or will go as? There is absolutely nothing so fun as when spouses get involved and the two of You use the same theme for costuming as many of us on this board can tell You.
May You both have a safe and prosperous New Year and Merry Christmas.

Cheers,
Larry
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

Wow! Really great job!!

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
Catwoman_Jess

Post by Catwoman_Jess »

Great job! You look purr-fect! :)
Hedji

Post by Hedji »

Really well done! You make a great Boy Wonder!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Very sharp, old chum!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
potterlad

Post by potterlad »

Larry A. wrote:WOW!!!!! You have done a Magnificent Job! Now, what did Your Husband go as or will go as? There is absolutely nothing so fun as when spouses get involved and the two of You use the same theme for costuming as many of us on this board can tell You.
May You both have a safe and prosperous New Year and Merry Christmas.

Cheers,
Thanks!

My husband actually went as a steampunk airship captain, so nothing Batman related. We spent so much time working together on my costume, that there was really no time to work on his costume. Perhaps next year we will be brave enough to make a Batman costume for him. Although that cowl sure looks intimidating to make.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hey Potterlad! You are welcome.
Let me suggest that You buy the Batman pattern from Williams Studio 2 for Your husband. It is AMAZING!!!!!! I Highly recommend it! I really think You both will enjoy it!

Peace to You both! And as always.......
Cheers,
Larry
batfan1705

Post by batfan1705 »

Well done, old chum! It looks great!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Congrats on finishing such an ambitious project and kudos for learning a whole new skill set along the way!
Waterratt

Post by Waterratt »

Looks great!! Those patterns by Chuck and Lynne Williams are awesome! I did the same as you with plenty of youtube videos, I also took a sewing lesson at Joann Fabrics. Keep up the great work!
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Amazing job - you got the look, proportions and fit spot on. Just goes to show what you can do with the right preparation and patterns (and some serious talent!).
Lucky you for having an understanding hubby - hope he's a good sport about having to lose the beard and mustache when you get his Batsuit done! ;)
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."