Batman (finally done!)

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
User avatar
Catwoman_Jess
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:42 pm

Batman (finally done!)

Post by Catwoman_Jess » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:56 am

Whew! I'm finally done with my husband's 66 Batman. Thank you, Williams Studio 2, for the amazing Caped Crime Fighter cape and trunks pattern, and the emblem - they made things much easier. :) Leggings and shirt were made using patterns I've done for my husband in the past for other costumes. Cowl is a modded Matty. The boots are premade and painted - not a great match but they'll do for now.


Image

Image

Meow!

Jess

User avatar
Scott Sebring
Site Admin
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Batman (finally done!)

Post by Scott Sebring » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:35 am

Splendid!
ImageImage

User avatar
burkestudio
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:43 am

Re: Batman (finally done!)

Post by burkestudio » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:14 am

Fantastic!!

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio

User avatar
dell
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:12 am

Re: Batman (finally done!)

Post by dell » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:16 am

Looks great. Too bad you have to kill him now!
dell

User avatar
Batman65
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:09 am

Re: Batman (finally done!)

Post by Batman65 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:15 am

You did a fantastic job!

User avatar
Catwoman_Jess
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:42 pm

Re: Batman (finally done!)

Post by Catwoman_Jess » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:51 am

Thanks, all! :) He's having fun with it....while I plot how to deal with that darn Bat.... *meow haha*

Our son is still refusing to be Robin. However, he does like Catwoman's henchmen. (Score one for me!)

User avatar
Ben Bentley
Moderator
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:31 pm

Re: Batman (finally done!)

Post by Ben Bentley » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Cool! I'm sure he'll have great fun!

Idea/tip with those boots - I did the same thing for my very first pair of boots, but I then cut them down to a height and shape that I felt was a little more reminiscent of the look I was hoping for.
Ben-First Boots-SDCC.jpg

User avatar
Catwoman_Jess
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:42 pm

Re: Batman (finally done!)

Post by Catwoman_Jess » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Ben Bentley wrote:Cool! I'm sure he'll have great fun!

Idea/tip with those boots - I did the same thing for my very first pair of boots, but I then cut them down to a height and shape that I felt was a little more reminiscent of the look I was hoping for.
Ben-First Boots-SDCC.jpg
I'll suggest that to him. Thank you! I'm also not entirely happy with the blue, but it was the second shade we tried (and far closer than the first, which was labeled "Navy" but looked like a powdery purple). Any thoughts on good dyes and color?

User avatar
Mike Mulitsch
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Re: Batman (finally done!)

Post by Mike Mulitsch » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:35 pm

Look really good

User avatar
Ben Bentley
Moderator
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:31 pm

Re: Batman (finally done!)

Post by Ben Bentley » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:09 pm

Catwoman_Jess wrote:
Ben Bentley wrote:Cool! I'm sure he'll have great fun!

Idea/tip with those boots - I did the same thing for my very first pair of boots, but I then cut them down to a height and shape that I felt was a little more reminiscent of the look I was hoping for.
Ben-First Boots-SDCC.jpg
I'll suggest that to him. Thank you! I'm also not entirely happy with the blue, but it was the second shade we tried (and far closer than the first, which was labeled "Navy" but looked like a powdery purple). Any thoughts on good dyes and color?
My boots were plastic so I had little choice but to paint. The color I chose in the end was actually an automotive color (unfortunately I can't remember nearly 7yrs later exactly which! :( )

User avatar
Batfanman
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: Batman (finally done!)

Post by Batfanman » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:43 pm

Is that the color of the boots were when you bought them? They look like the Funtasma superhero boots I had only in black and those are made of fake leather which can be difficult to paint.

I first used Melotonian Nu Life in Navy. It covered very well and did not appear to crack anyplace but looked too Blue/Greenish to me.

I then settled on Rustoleum Ultra Cover 2X Gloss Navy Blue and it covered good but not as good as Nu LIfe. It cracks at the various stress points after a while of wearing. They also make a non-gloss Navy which may be a better finish choice.

Note that I had to strip off the Nu Life before I could repaint w/ Rustoleum because the 2 paints would not stick to each other as Nu Life caused the Rustoleum to crack all over. So keep this in mind in case you experiment with different paints. I was fortunate that warm, soapy water helped take the paint off. Still a very tedious process though.

Links for references:

http://www.amazon.com/Meltonian-Shoe-Co ... paint+navy

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... er+2x+navy

Good luck!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66

User avatar
Catwoman_Jess
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:42 pm

Re: Batman (finally done!)

Post by Catwoman_Jess » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:05 pm

Batfanman wrote:Is that the color of the boots were when you bought them? They look like the Funtasma superhero boots I had only in black and those are made of fake leather which can be difficult to paint.

I first used Melotonian Nu Life in Navy. It covered very well and did not appear to crack anyplace but looked too Blue/Greenish to me.

I then settled on Rustoleum Ultra Cover 2X Gloss Navy Blue and it covered good but not as good as Nu LIfe. It cracks at the various stress points after a while of wearing. They also make a non-gloss Navy which may be a better finish choice.

Note that I had to strip off the Nu Life before I could repaint w/ Rustoleum because the 2 paints would not stick to each other as Nu Life caused the Rustoleum to crack all over. So keep this in mind in case you experiment with different paints. I was fortunate that warm, soapy water helped take the paint off. Still a very tedious process though.

Links for references:

http://www.amazon.com/Meltonian-Shoe-Co ... paint+navy

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... er+2x+navy

Good luck!
Thanks - we started with Nu Life as well - on black Funtasma boots. :) The newer paint was Krylon. I don't think he stripped the Nu Life first, though....hmm...

User avatar
AndyFish
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:42 am

Re: Batman (finally done!)

Post by AndyFish » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:21 pm

Looks great! That's the nicest Matty Cowl Mod I've seen.
Kudos

User avatar
Catwoman_Jess
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:42 pm

Re: Batman (finally done!)

Post by Catwoman_Jess » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:37 pm

AndyFish wrote:Looks great! That's the nicest Matty Cowl Mod I've seen.
Kudos
Thank you - I got to the point of using painters tape with the eyebrow shape cut out to do the eyebrows, because I was worried I'd never get them correct otherwise. LOL

Image

User avatar
Chuck Williams
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:57 am

Re: Batman (finally done!)

Post by Chuck Williams » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:03 am

Excellent work Jess!!!

He's certainly rocking the '66 vibe!

I agree with Andy, the best mod of the Matty cowl I've seen.

Congratulations, enjoy and WELL DONE!!!

Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!
http://www.williamsstudio2.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info

Post Reply