Batman (finally done!)

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
AndyFish

Re: Batman (finally done!)

Post by AndyFish »

How did you paint the face? Did you Modge Podge it or just paint the fabric? Spray paint or brush?
Nice work.
Catwoman_Jess

Post by Catwoman_Jess »

Chuck Williams wrote:Excellent work Jess!!!

He's certainly rocking the '66 vibe!

I agree with Andy, the best mod of the Matty cowl I've seen.

Congratulations, enjoy and WELL DONE!!!

Chuck...
Thank you, Chuck - your cape and trunks pattern were extremely helpful! You saved me a lot of frustration. :)
Catwoman_Jess

Post by Catwoman_Jess »

AndyFish wrote:How did you paint the face? Did you Modge Podge it or just paint the fabric? Spray paint or brush?
Nice work.
First, let me say - I bought the cowl when it was super cheap around the holidays (got it and the belt for roughly what the belt normally costs alone). We weren't willing to risk a ton of money if the mod didn't turn out well. He eventually wants to get an upgraded cowl, but for now, he can manage with this one.... HAHA

We mainly followed the you tube tutorial others have posted - wiped off the old eyebrows with nail polish remover, a couple layers of black acrylic paint (with a small enough brush that it began to build texture too), modge podge...more modge podge (we used a LOT of it)....sanding...more modge podge and sanding...more black paint... My husband basically added layers (and more layers) and sanded a few times over the course of a few days. (He is far more patient with layers and sanding than I am!)

We did decide to tackle the nose as well - for that, my husband used painters tape to mark where he wanted the new line to be. The trick was blending in the higher section created by the fabric area that we were covering. So he used modge podge to build the area around that up and then sanded so that it was a more gradual transition...repeated as needed...then painted. There is still a slight slope/bump there but you have to be very close up to notice it.

For the eyebrows, I ended up doing a lot of measuring to determine exactly where I wanted the slopes to be, marked them with pencil on the cowl and traced onto a sheet of paper....then used that to cut the shapes out of strips of painters tape that I then positioned onto the cowl where my pencil markings were. That was the *only* way I could them right - I had an entire paper of practice attempts (some were very scary!).

Having braved this process, we then moved on to making armor out of Sintra for my Expanded Universe Jedi, Celeste Morne. :)
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I did the same thing with my nose line, for the same reason, the "seam" . As you found out, with a little patience, it can be fixed to look rather good. I'm glad I did mine. Someday I will upgrade my cowl when funds allow. You did a good job on the mod.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Sanding! Of Course! I've got three more I'm going to do-- bought them during the $50 sale at Xmas. This is a big help.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

AndyFish wrote:Sanding! Of Course! I've got three more I'm going to do-- bought them during the $50 sale at Xmas. This is a big help.

Andy,

I think by the time I was done, I used about 4 coats of the Mod Podge, and about 6 coats of paint, sanding with 300 grit in between. I actually used Testors modeling putty to fill in the seam at the top of the nose, using my finger to smooth out a nice radius at the top then sanding afterwards. After a few applications, the top of the nose will look much better. I applied a light coat of black to see how it looked. If not right, just add a dab more putty and sand until it does. As Jess said, it took me about 4 days of putzing by the time it was all done, but I feel the results are worth it, especially for the price of the cowl.
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

The costume looks amazing. You did a great job.
dell

Post by dell »

Hey Jess,

Are the two of you going to do any photos together? Maybe reenact some poses from the show or movie? Hint, hint. :D
dell
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Nicely done. Great cowl
Captain Batmania

Post by Captain Batmania »

Brilliant and instructive work. Look forward to more of the cast.