Building My First 1966 Batmobile Replica

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Mark Racop

Building My First 1966 Batmobile Replica

Post by Mark Racop »

Bat 1.jpg
I've been asked to tell the story of building my first 1966 Batmobile replica. I hope you enjoy it. I am a huge fan of the original Batman television series. I was two-years-old when I first saw Batman in 1967. I fell in love the show, with the action, the color, the music–-everything–-but the best feature was seeing the Batmobile, speeding out of the Batcave. I will never forget that iconic moment. From that moment on, I had always wanted to drive the Batmobile. Fifteen years later, several friends and I built our first Batmobile replica from a 1974 Monte Carlo in my father’s garage.

The year was 1983. “Come on Eileen,” “Hungry Like the Wolf,” and "We Built This City" were the popular songs of the day. I had made two Batman fan films while in high school, and was gearing up for an ambitious third while a filmmaking student at Ball State University. In the previous two I had inserted footage of the original car from the TV show. This time, things would be different. I had built numerous props, costumes, and sets for plays and movies, and thought the car would be difficult but not too far outside of my comfort zone. Boy was I wrong!

My Dad and I bought a 1974 Monte Carlo, and along with four other crazy seventeen year old buddies, we tore the car down and began working. We had no automotive experience, we had no automotive tools. We didn't even have an air compressor! We had some advice from a guy that had built derby cars using wood and fiberglass, so we set out to do the same.
Jeff and Jill in Fiberglass.jpg
Jeff and Jill in Fiberglass.jpg (454.53 KiB) Viewed 7045 times
Armed with only a toy Corgi Batmobile and four dark photos that my father took of the #4 Barris built dragster car (and a black and white side view photo of the #1), we started work. We cut most of the Monte Carlo top off the car and started adding wood, foam, and steel to create the shape of the car. With no molds, no tools, and no autobody experience, we taught ourselves fiberglassing and bodywork. Using plywood, paneling, angle iron, nails, screws, and pop rivets, the car began to take shape. The hood scoop was made from layers of plywood, covered in bondo. It weighed a ton! We willed the car into being. It took three summers to finish the car.

In March of 1986, the car was complete enough to use for making my third Batman fan film, “The Eyes of the Cat.” We built sets, built props, made new costumes, hired actors, and made a fun 45 minute movie. With love scenes, fight scenes, and even a car chase with the Batmobile, the movie a David Letterman Scholarship award.

But the car wasn't right.

The TV series hadn’t been on the air in the area for a long time. Shortly after completing Bat 1, version 1, my dad was able to record all 120 episodes on VHS. I studied every single shot of the Batmobile, frame by frame, to try to get the shapes and proportions of the interior and exterior details as close as possible. The station ran the series a second time, only now with nearly uncut episodes. As much as five minutes more screen time was afforded. My father recorded the entire series again. I studied every single shot of the Batmobile, frame by frame, again. I made dozens of drawings based on this research, and I use these drawings even today. It didn’t take long for me to realize that Bat 1 was inaccurate.
Rear Fiberglass.jpg
A few friends and I tore off the back half of the car and rebuilt it. Along with a professional bodyman friend of mine and a fiberglass expert, the car started to look much better. We completed Bat 1, version 2, in time for parade season, in 2000.
Side nearly done copy.jpg
Three years later, I launched Fiberglass Freaks. And the rest, as they say, is history...
Batman65

Re: Building My First 1966 Batmobile Replica

Post by Batman65 »

Mark,

Even not being quite right, that simply looks FANTASTIC! That a few kids could fabricate this iconic car as you guys did and have it turn out as good as it did is mind blowing, that along with the fact that it is built on an old Monte Carlo..all I can say is OMG...WOW! I don't think anybody here would ever turn down a ride in that car.
chetchumley

Post by chetchumley »

great story MARK..man would have loved to been involved in your pet project back then..owning a replica is also a dream of mine,,,heck i don't need an original,, ;) ..anyway hopefully one day??? i will be able to commission you to build me one from your fiberglass freaks factory,,,as ADAM once quoted on BATMAN !!! "HOPE SPRINGS " :D ETERNAL"
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I'll never get tired of listening to stories like yours, Mark! A true testament to what can come of "heart and soul" projects.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Fantastic Mark!!!

Passion at the core of any endeavor is the heart of art.
You have certainly made replica Batmobiles rolling art pieces!

Well Done my friend and continued success!!!

Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

Thanks much for your kind words, folks.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Great story Mark. If it doesn't exist make it yourself.
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

Mark,

What an inspirational story.
I love to hear stories of people setting their minds to something and just going for it!
Bravo Sir!!

If I may ask (I don't think it was mentioned), but whatever became of your "Bat 1"? Do you still own it?

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

burkestudio wrote:Mark,

What an inspirational story.
I love to hear stories of people setting their minds to something and just going for it!
Bravo Sir!!

If I may ask (I don't think it was mentioned), but whatever became of your "Bat 1"? Do you still own it?

-Jeremy
He actually mentioned it in his podcast on a different thread.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4782

Here's the link to the interview.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

I still own Bat 1 and use it for local appearances, mainly for charities or groups of kids.
batfan1705

Post by batfan1705 »

Awesome story! Nothing like hearing about someone making their dreams come true with a passion!
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

Mark Racop wrote:I still own Bat 1 and use it for local appearances, mainly for charities or groups of kids.

That's really cool!

I was hoping you still owned it.

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
SaintsPreserveUs

Post by SaintsPreserveUs »

Very cool story. Any plans to do a bat boat?
Begorra!
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

I started a Batboat buck and was 75% completed when I got the license from DC Comics. I had to mothball the project because my license is just for the 1966 Batmobile. It is interesting to note that no other DC vehicle has been licensed. Hopefully that will change some day. ;)

PS: I have stories upon stories--the Batboat buck was stolen and ended up in England. I found out when the buyer offered to sell me my own Batboat back to me, not realizing it was mine to begin with! Fact is so much stranger than fiction. You can't make this stuff up!