Suit dye thoughts

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
pulpadded

Suit dye thoughts

Post by pulpadded »

I bought a pair of mock long sleeve leotard and tights that are 90% cotton, 10% nylon. I bought 8 packs of Rit Pearl Grey and one Purple liquid based on the Batboat site instruction. I realize after reading again the site says to purchase polyester, so the large amount of dye is to cater to fabric that doesn't dye normally with Rit. Should I scale back the amount of dye and use the cotton, or get polyester? I trust cotton more, but don't know what to scale the dye to.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: Suit dye thoughts

Post by Scott Sebring »

What site says to purchase polyester? Because polyester doesn't really take a dye like Rit.
pulpadded

Post by pulpadded »

My mistake, spandex, but still not easy to dye with Rit.

http://giantsquidaudiolab.com/batdye/batdye.html
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Go with Supplex whenever possible these days over spandex for these tights. Anyways, I always do the dyeing by eye rather than a straight formula due to so many variables at any time (ie: water levels, temp, size of garment, etc.). I start with grey until I get it to the depth/darkness I want and then add a little purple to taste. Each step includes a full dye, post wash and dry cycle to check the color. And I've done a my fair share through the years.
pulpadded

Post by pulpadded »

As I said, I currently have cotton. I'd prefer not to do another unless it's needed. I would need to know how to scale it from what amount of dye is used for spandex.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

pulpadded wrote:As I said, I currently have cotton. I'd prefer not to do another unless it's needed. I would need to know how to scale it from what amount of dye is used for spandex.
To be honest, I can't imagine cotton giving you the fit and subsequently the look that the tunic and tights worn on the show have. Cotton would result in a more of a pajama fit?
Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

I've only ever dyed one set of tights and they were supplex; but I think Scott's answer might be the best one for you which is to sneak up on the color you want. I am not sure whether anyone here knows how to adjust ratios to the formulas on the site for fabric type (although the depth of knowledge here is astounding). The formulas here are not really magical anyway and different results come out with the same formula depending on many factors like water temperature and washing machine type. I could be wrong but I would think cotton would absorb dye more readily than supplex and so maybe start with a cautious dose (say 1/4th of the formula) and keep re-dyeing to suit your taste. As I said though, I am a novice at dying.
pulpadded

Post by pulpadded »

Does anyone have comparisons between supplex and other material? I bought the cotton and tried rit with them, it isn't consistent at all, the tights are ruined. My options are order another set of cotton for around $50 or order supplex for around $110, and I risk it with doing dye in either option.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Use the Supplex as Scott said. Anything else will fail by comparison. I did it once and they turned out pretty good.
Darren Nemeth

Post by Darren Nemeth »

I am the dude who wrote the batdye site. :)

Use Suplex Spandex as stated from Onstage Dancewear using the detergent stuff from the Dharma site and you are good to go.
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/
pulpadded

Post by pulpadded »

Be careful ordering from On Stage. The site says 2 weeks. I ordered on the 10th, which would mean they had until yesterday. I called the check on the order, they said "it should say 3-4, but we haven't updated the site." They said they would call to see if the order could be rushed but I haven't heard back, and got treated the same when calling today.

I called back today, the manager told me he would see if the order would be ready. He said that it wasn't, but suggested a size up because that was in stock. I appreciate their responsiveness, but keep the time window difference in mind when you purchase.