Suit salvage

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
pulpadded

Suit salvage

Post by pulpadded »

So I first ordered a pair of 90% cotton 10% spandex tights. Several here said it would not look correct so I purchased from OnStage and got a supplex suit. Based on instructions to use 8 boxes of pearl grey and half a tablespoon of purple, I used 7 boxes and 3/8 of a tablespoon. It came out extremely dark. It is mostly dry and you can see, compared to the cotton suit dyed with one box of grey, the difference.

Would anyone suggest using Rit Color Remover to lighten it? I was told it would look less dark when dry but it dried overnight and is only slightly damp.
Batman65

Re: Suit salvage

Post by Batman65 »

I would try color remover. someone else here can help here, but I believe RIT makes a color remover? I only used 2 boxes of grey and a pinch of purple. 8 was way too much.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Before you try any remover's - Can we see a photo of the two outside in daylight?

It's hard to tell a true color from the photo you posted due to shadows etc. The actual color of the screen worn tights may look darker to you in person the first time you see it versus the preconceptions many people have.
pulpadded

Post by pulpadded »

It's quite dark, in some lights also appears black. If I use the Hot Toys for reference, the one on the right is probably closer.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Hot Toys is too light, FYI. Horrible reference as is most toy replicas out there for color.

Also, I suggested that you work your way to the color and not use a pre-measured "recipe." I don't think I ever used 8 boxes of grey on a single set of tights and tunic. Just saying. The grey tights done with one box are way too light as well.

I'm with Ben, I'd like to see that set completely dry, in a better light and next to cape fabric if you got some. It looks closer to being right than the light pair (although maybe a bit dark in this pic).

Might need some remover but remember that the tights are much darker than you may "think." It reads lighter when put next to the cape, cowl and so forth.
tights_compare.jpg
pulpadded

Post by pulpadded »

Here it is outside with the cape.

Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Not bad. The cape is reading a little light but that could be the nature of that satin outdoors. To be honest, the tights look really , really good to me but could survive being taken down a notch if you'd like. Do you have a cowl? If so which one?
I hope you did your tights at the same time as the tunic.
pulpadded

Post by pulpadded »

The cape and shorts are from On Pleather Wings, this is their photo with the Mattel cowl, which is what I have. The suit was dyed with the tights, yes.

http://www.onpleatherwings.com/gallery/4588238652
Randy

Post by Randy »

I would wash it a couple times before making any decisions
pulpadded

Post by pulpadded »

I washed it in boiling water last night, then a normal wash. Hasn't changed.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

I'm familiar with the shade of navy of the cape you have - it is a bit lighter than WS2's cape material and although the picture is still a bit bright due to the lighting, I'm in agreement that you've got a good shade there.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I think Chuck gave you some great tips and advice over on Facebook, but seeing the photo of the tights outdoors with the cape, I honestly think that the shade you currently have is nearer the screen-used ball park than a lot of the guys who are out there barring a few.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

I agree, they look pretty good.
pulpadded

Post by pulpadded »

Prior to these comments, I put the suit in Rit color remover to lighten it, only a bit. Darren Nemoth was kind enough to send me a swatch to color match. It's pretty near the correct color.

Parker Gabriel

Post by Parker Gabriel »

pulpadded wrote: Tue May 31, 2016 2:22 pm The cape and shorts are from On Pleather Wings, this is their photo with the Mattel cowl, which is what I have. The suit was dyed with the tights, yes.

http://www.onpleatherwings.com/gallery/4588238652
Great Scott! ANOTHER dead link!
“To the Batcave--we haven’t ONE moment to LOSE!!!”