Batcharge Launcher

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Larry A.

Re: Batcharge Launcher

Post by Larry A. »

Absolutely AWESOME!!!!!!!!Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Larry
rajung

Post by rajung »

Thanks for the pictures,wish I would have seen these sooner, but then again I don't know if I were to have done exactly anyway, such as the front bolt and the like on the rocket part, never could see that mount on any screen grab I did unless it was added later for stability.
Also, the rear yellow hose looks much smaller going into the metal fittings but I guess that is all in the way they are filmed.Funny how so many things look different up close.I did assume the bats on the blaster were originally really thin,also for the reason I thought some of the tips were broken off-now that you mention they were bent makes it clearer on material used.
I decided to go a little thicker for that reason.
The issue with that is that I knew the blaster is molded/glued solid so the bats I had to split at the bottom from center up into the main hole ,but that still didn't flex and open far enough so I split again at the top, cutting bats in half.
The top cut was made off the side from top center as not to be as noticeable with the fins hiding it.
After the 3 bats were cut I spaced them on the blaster and used a plastic resin bonder to seal them together again with a brush to apply and also around the barrel part to keep from sliding back and just before it set up in minutes I leveled smooth as best I could.After hardened I sanded flat and then I used latex caulk on both sideds of each to give them a nice clean smooth finish then painted all the black.
I did try to bid on a blaster scope that just showed up, but at my moms 92 Bday party and spaced it off and I missed it.mobile ebay I hate!Going back and looking at those pictures I notice the red missle was tapered at the back, so they must have used a slightly larger diameter dowel than I did and tapered to fit the back mount area.Maybe sometimes originals aren't good enough.But the bolt on front with the spacer rubber just doesn't seem right ?Seems like that would have been visible and the yellow wrapping to me seemed to have dead ended up underneath the rocket section instead of from the top down into it.
Pat The Batman Fan

Post by Pat The Batman Fan »

Yeah I wouldn't sweat it. You did an incredible job and without using detailed photos. There may have been variations between the original ones anyway... and in the end as long as you're happy with it, who cares? It looks fantastic. I can't imagine anyone would have any complaints about it.

Funny, I wondered about the support under the rocket and was toying with leaving it off myself. Hell, I am considering adding a custom engraved metal badge on it that said "Bat-Charge Launcher" with a small bat symbol on mine. There's a space on the blaster behind the scope where it looks like it naturally belongs... certainly not authentic, but authentic to the spirit of the props IMO. Plus, you never see that side of the blaster in the film or on the show as far as I remember...

Again, congratulations on an amazing job. Thanks for the info on the fins too! Good stuff.
And why doesn't Batman dance anymore? Remember the Batusi?
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

The prop from that auction you cited has never been proven to be a screen used prop. Burt said it was one given to him by a prop guy. I seriously doubt it is screen used. For one, it's black. The prop as used on screen is clearly deep blue. Many of the other details don't match up with what can be seen on screen, either. Leave yours alone rajung - it's well done.

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Pat The Batman Fan

Hmm... Interesting rickrickrick. I pondered the color being blue or black. Went back and forth for quite a while and then finally decided the blue present on the prop in the film must be the result of the bright blue of the BatBoat reflecting off the black of the prop. My second point of reference was the studio picture of Robin and Riddler... the prop looked black to me in the picture. That, combined with seeing what I thought was an original prop finally sold me on black.

But now that you mention it again, I took a closer look at a pic of Robin and the Riddler... I found one a little higher res than the one I'd referenced before... and I do see some blue in the highlights. So I'm inclined to agree with you, and it definitely looks like it must be a much darker blue than the usual used on many of the show props.

That's a real bummer that the prop can't be certified. Pretty slipshod for a classy outlet like Bonhams. Man, you can't trust anything, huh?

Thanks for the info!
rajung

Post by rajung »

I assume the bottle cap is at the end by the nail,What type of sprinkler head? yard or ceiling? you have half the scope, Wish I had a fragment of it.Looks very good
Pat The Batman Fan

Ooof... I don't even remember which bits are which anymore. I basically just went to Home Depot and scoured the lawn irrigation aisle for things that were the right size and shape. The sprinkler piece is the sloped bit. I think the bottle cap is near the end, and the other end was a piece of the cylinder of the Estes rocket I used for the rocket topper.

Something I thought about doing, and might be a good solution if your scope is completely missing, is just replacing it with an actual scope. You can get ones that are very close to the look of the one on the toy for about $30 on eBay.
rajung

Post by rajung »

I got bored and decided to make a scope completely out of wood except for the aluminum straps and old school wood screws.Comb. of craft wood,dowels,mini wood flower pots,dowel hole plugs,Miller Lite.
scope.JPG
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Looks flippin' GREAT!!!! WELL DONE!!! What a great prop!
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Chuck Williams wrote:Looks flippin' GREAT!!!! WELL DONE!!! What a great prop!
What Chuck said?