Cowl Display / Bust question

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
floatinjoe

Cowl Display / Bust question

Post by floatinjoe »

I am looking to display my cowl, and am trying to determine the best way to do it. My pipe dream is an Adam West bust, but that is probably down the road a few years.

I've tried a couple different ways, but I continue to have a problem with how the skirt hangs. I figure if I can create a support for the skirt at the appropriate height, it won't just hang there and will look better. My question for anyone who has a bust, or has found another way to display the cowl is: what is the distance from the top of Adam's head to his chin and also to his shoulders?

Any thoughts?

Mike
AndyFish

Re: Cowl Display / Bust question

Post by AndyFish »

A Chuck Williams Adam West Bust is your best option-- and it's not that expensive.
You can find wig busts on eBay and the like with shoulders-- that's what the cowl needs to display right-- it needs to drape. I'd put the resources into a Chuck bust, because anything else you're just going to be upgrading later.
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

I agree completely that Chuck's bust is the best way to go, but it won't be in the cards for awhile. Since my painting abilities aren't up to snuff, I'll be getting one of Chucks painted versions, and that rings up at $690.

I have a mannequin torso that I can try it on, but without a head, it just sits there. I need to raise it above the shoulders to get the right look.

I also thought that I could possibly build a stand using a 4" PVC pipe and T-joint. Then I could just paint it black to be "invisible". The cost would be under $20 for the pipe.

As I said, I want to get a bust, but that purchase will be done down the road.
Meule

Post by Meule »

Get the unpainted bust and find someone to paint it for you...
But even an unpainted bust will look better than a stand built from PVC pipes
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Yup-- what Meule said.
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

I agree with you both completely. However, it's not in the cards for right now. Currently, I can either have it sit on a shelf, or in a box. I'd just like to have it look a little nicer on the shelf. Someday, it will have a proper home on one of Chuck's busts, but until then, I'd like a better option. No idea as to how I'll make a stand, the PVC was just a thought I was throwing out there. I just wasn't sure what type of dimensions I should be looking at to give it the best appearance possible at this time.
svl

Post by svl »

Look online at wig shops, they have plenty of inexpensive stands (with rounded tops to better support the cowl) that will accommodate the height of the skirt. :)
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Hi,

The cowl on the display is just over 16" tall.
The front of the skirt is 1 inch above the ground and the back of the skirt just touches the ground.

There is a bit over 6" from the chin to the ground in the front.

For everyone wanting cases, the head and cowl size is 16.25" tall x 12" x 12" . Add at least an inch in every direction to find a case with room that fits it.

I like the stands they used on the original and have one in my case. It's made from a wooden dowel, plywood base, a wooden circle covered in foam, fabric and gaffers tape to hold it together. You can see one in the uncropped photo of the three original cowls photo at the far left next to the Robin gloves .

I'll look for it but I'm pressed for time...

Chuck...
Attachments
3 cowls reduced.jpg
DSC_0021b.jpg
Size1.JPG
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

Chuck,
Thank you for the information. Making something similar to the original would work in just keeping the skirt off the shelf/table/ground. We'll see what I come up with.
Mike
Randy

Post by Randy »

I never noticed the utility belt in the bottom of the box
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

Well, I decided to make an attempt at my PVC cowl stand. All told, the cost was about $10, and for another $5 I could make another.
Supplies:
2-foot section of 2" pvc
3" to 2" reducer
2" cap
Black felt I had in the house.
image1.JPG
I started by cutting the pipe into two 12" section (if I bought a second cap and reducer, I'd have a second stand).
image2.JPG
Then I put on the cap and reducer, and the structure was done.
image3.JPG
As a test, I pulled a black sock over it, and it worked fine.

I then cut a section of felt, and sewed it into a sleeve. I slid the sleeve over the pipe and reassembled it. Stand is complete. If I get ambitious, I may cover the cap and reducer, but neither are seen with a cowl on it.
image4.JPG
As I said in an earlier post, this is a temporary solution until I cash afford one of Chuck's painted busts.
This is a picture of my 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Cowl on the stand. Let me know what you think.

Mike
image5.JPG
westbatman

Post by westbatman »

A nice, inexpensive, well made display stand.
TysonL

Post by TysonL »

That looks quite nice. I currently have a foam head I found at Hobby Lobby that I display mine on. I don't care for the white foam though so I may try something like you did or just spray the foam head black.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Excellent!
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
The Batker

Post by The Batker »

Chuck quick question, do you guys still produce the rigid foam version of the bust? I noticed it's no longer listed, so I'm assuming no.

Just curiousity

Admin note: All "Merchandise" inquiries belong in the Merchandise section, never in the Craft section. This one really should be handled via PM.