Fabric Dyeing Question and Introduction

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Lauralot

Fabric Dyeing Question and Introduction

Post by Lauralot »

Hello, everyone! I just discovered this wonderful forum a few days ago, and I've been reading through the archived board ever since.

I've been a fan of Batman since I was very young (Batman: The Animated Series premiered when I was two) but I only recently got into the 66 show when a college friend showed me the movie a few years ago. Since then I've fallen in love with the campy fun and the gorgeous costumes, and finding your amazing and detailed resources inspired me to try my hand at making my own Yvonne Craig Batgirl suit. I've done costuming in the past, but never something this complex.

This leads into my question: On the advice of the Batgirl Costume FAQ thread from the archived forum, I ordered several yards of royal blue stretch lame from Spandex House, along with several bottles of Fuchsia RIT dye to alter the color. The boards told me that I needed plenty of boiling hot water for the dye to take, but does the dye need to be heated as well, or just poured into the hot water right before the fabric? Would heating the dye help the fabric take it, or lessen its potency? This is my first real experience with dyeing fabric, so I thought I'd ask the opinions of the talented posters here.
Chuck Williams

Re: Fabric Dyeing Question and Introduction

Post by Chuck Williams »

Hi Lauralot! Welcome to the cave!!!

I personally have not dyed this fabric but I do know that when you are using any dye, the dye itself does not need to be preheated before adding to the hot water.

Follow the directions on the box to the letter for best results.
I haven't read that thread in a while but I do remember the need for lots of boiling hot water and that the fabric takes a while to take the color. Be careful!!

There are better purple stretch lame's out in the market now compared to when that thread was written. I think CatGreg has purchaced enough lame' to effect the market!! GO GREG GO!!!

I know you have already purchased the blue but you may want to keep an eye out for some purple that could work or need less dye to shift the color.

All the best and welcome,
Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Lauralot

Re: Fabric Dyeing Question and Introduction

Post by Lauralot »

Thanks for the advice!

Since I have the dye on hand already and the fabric should be arriving in the next few days, I'll try my hand at it and see how things turn out. It's good to know that there are now alternative fabrics available if this one doesn't work out. I'll be sure to seek those out!