Batgirl Costume question

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
supaht76

Batgirl Costume question

Post by supaht76 »

Hello good citizens!

I am hoping to get some advice on the chest emblem for my DIY 66 Batgirl suit.

For my current suit, I cut out an adhesive-backed vinyl sticker (see photo). It has served me well for 12 years, but when removed the adhesive slightly damages the suit. I had to take care to cover the damage each time a new sticker was used.

I am in the process of making a new bodysuit, and wanted my bat-emblem to be removable to make washing easier.

Any suggestions on the best way to attach the emblem? Thin velcro? Snaps? Something else? Of course, I don't want whatever I use to be visible, so the emblem should lay as flat as possible.

Any help would be appreciated!
Attachments
14717095_10154130092402476_5100526870073538375_n.jpg
14199733_10153987978417476_2843310686735980419_n.jpg
Batfanman

Re: Batgirl Costume question

Post by Batfanman »

Velcro would create a raised effect. I'm not sure if magnets would work - perhaps a thin flexible magnet sheet cut to fit on the backside of the emblem and then affixed with some strong neodymium magnets inside the suit? Perhaps worth a try using a paper emblem as a test.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Therin of Andor

Re: Batgirl Costume question

Post by Therin of Andor »

Battalion by Ian McLean, on Flickr

We used yellow vinyl that was not self-adhesive, then mounted it to the costume with rubber cement.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)