Bat Oxygen Mask

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
slybatman

Bat Oxygen Mask

Post by slybatman »

Hi gang,

I'm looking at creating the oxygen masks and was wondering if anyone new what the components were that they used in the 60's? I was going to sculpt the face mask and vac form or cast it but thought I would throw the question out there as I cant find a mask that matches it close enough. The braided hose is easy enough but the cylinders I can either model and cast or find something that matches
CbdKtoHWEAYT6tG.jpg
CbdKtoHWEAYT6tG.jpg (42.42 KiB) Viewed 23251 times
A. Pennyworth

Re: Bat Oxygen Mask

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Not sure of the component parts or where they may have come from? Here are some more photos that might help.Image
slybatman

Post by slybatman »

Thanks heaps :)
Meule

Post by Meule »

Cool, really looking forward to this
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

This is cool. Looking at AP's images, it occurred to me for the first time that there's no obvious means of attaching the apparatus to the hero's face. I'm guessing there must've been some kind of tab inside the plastic facemask that the actor bit down on to hold it in place? That would've made it impossible to speak while using the thing, of course.

Anyone know anything more about that?

Thanks,

Jim
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Jim Akin wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:22 am This is cool. Looking at AP's images, it occurred to me for the first time that there's no obvious means of attaching the apparatus to the hero's face. I'm guessing there must've been some kind of tab inside the plastic facemask that the actor bit down on to hold it in place? That would've made it impossible to speak while using the thing, of course.

Anyone know anything more about that?

Thanks,

Jim
The dialogue from that shot was definitely ADR. I suspect they were biting down, although even if they were attached via a different method, I still think they would have overdubbed the dialogue regardless.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Some good photos of an original bat-respirator prop that went unsold at a recent memorabilia auction. They include views of the inside of the mask, revealing the tab the actor bit down on to hold the it in place.

https://propstoreauction.com/view-aucti ... respirator
slybatman

Post by slybatman »

Jim Akin wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 am Some good photos of an original bat-respirator prop that went unsold at a recent memorabilia auction. They include views of the inside of the mask, revealing the tab the actor bit down on to hold the it in place.

Awesome thanks heaps :)
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

slybatman wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:01 pm
Jim Akin wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 am Some good photos of an original bat-respirator prop that went unsold at a recent memorabilia auction. They include views of the inside of the mask, revealing the tab the actor bit down on to hold the it in place.

Awesome thanks heaps :)
Oh man, I wish I had remembered that you were on with this project! Scott and I actually got to examine the auction respirators up close/in person at San Diego Comic Con back in July.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Cool that you got to check out the respirators, Ben.

I was surprised to see the slots in the upper "tank;" when I looked at photos of the Duo wearing those masks, I for some reason inverted the slots in my mind's eye, envisioning the "vents" as the edges of knurled dials protruding *out* of the brass cylinder -- kind of like the tuning knobs on Shame's pocket radio. Now that I see the slots for what they are (and the paper baffling inside them), I think that component might be an automotive fuel filter. The paper core is definitely consistent with that, but a real fuel filter wouldn't have "vents" -- someone would've had to add those. When you looked at the piece, did those slots look like they were prop-shop handiwork, or do you think they were original to the part?
rajung

Post by rajung »

I kind of thought the same thing with an older fuel filter from something,but looking at the grills behind the slots does not look consistent as a paper filter media would.
They would have a continuous folded edge from end to end, not stopping at each slot opening.
They seem to have a strange bent resemblance to a home wall mounted air return register.
More metal like than paper.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

I see what you're getting at; they're definitely stamped metal (probably aluminum) with the louvers punched in. That tiny size makes them look like the finely-louvered back panel on the outside of an old window-mounted air conditioner, possibly?
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

The inner grill appears to be a small piece of this vintage 50's-60's aluminum roll down shade screen used in cars and campers. This screen was also used in the Green Hornet's Black Beauty by Dean Jeffries as speaker grills, and also a similar version was used on the TIE Fighters wings in Star Wars.
Attachments
22218660_1091439784324188_6090807871281927111_o.jpg
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Brilliant deduction, A.P.! :mrgreen:
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Wow! Incredible, A.P.!