Robin Costume Build

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Surfer_Bat

Robin Costume Build

Post by Surfer_Bat »

Hello,

This is my first post here, hoping that someone can help me out here.

I'm making a Batman costume for my son so we can do cosplay at Terrificon ... meeting Mssrs Ward & Burt, and get photos etc.

Wondering if I can get suggestions for exact materials & specific colours (eg. for the tunic, mars red or scarlet ... for shorts, kelly vs forest green, etc) for the various parts of Robin's costume, that would give the most realistic replica without going through the pros ... I don't want to break the bank but don't want something that looks like it was imported for Halloween.

Especially with regards to:

-Tunic (colour & material)
-Tshirt & Briefs (material & colour) ...? pre-made shorts, briefs vs boxers etc.
-gloves (material & colour) .... suede vs leather vs. pleather etc.
-boots/boot covers (material & colour) suede vs. leather vs felt etc.
-laces for tunic (colour)
-colour for the "R" in the crest

It's been recommended to get a Bridal polyester Satin for the cape, but does someone have a good suggestion for colour

I've already got the belt & mask covered.

Thank you in advance, Darren
rickrickrick

Re: Robin Costume Build

Post by rickrickrick »

I am NOT an expert, but I've done some research, maybe enough to help you with a close-enough for a child.

The original green shirt was an off-the-rack Fruit-of-the-Loom tee. When I went shopping for one, I could not find a good color match to the original, which I assume was dyed, as it's a muted green. Off-the-rack tees are generally very saturated Kelly green. Lots of people use that color - it's what I bought. The original tunic was a wool gabardine, and the color is surprisingly subtle. It's not a blazing red by any means. It's sort of a warm, pinky light red, almost watermelon. I believe the lacing on the tunic was just shoe laces, dyed yellow. The original briefs were a fabric that's impossible to find nowadays - it was a circular ("tube") knit cotton springweave that was dyed a matching green to the shirt. Nowadays, you can only find synthetic springweave, which is next to impossible to dye. Most people just compromise on the briefs and make them out of spandex in an appropriate color. A great idea for a kids costume base might be a short-sleeved leotard, like this, so you don't have to worry about matching separate tee and briefs:

https://www.amazon.com/Danskin-Girls-Sh ... tard+green

The ORIGINAL original gloves Burt wore were knit material, like spandex, but only for the pilot episode. After that, they were leather - and a weird leather, to boot - pecary! How old is your son? It's nigh on impossible to find off-the-rack green gloves for kids that you could add a gauntlet to. Maybe just green gauntlets like the one in your avatar picture would do. The chest emblem was just made of felt, and the R is a deep gold color, not yellow. The cape was, indeed, satin, in a very subdued sort of butter yellow - again, it is not bright, saturated yellow. His boots were obviously suede, but for a kid's costume, making covers for a pair of slippers or sneakers, I would seriously opt for something cheap like felt, which is easy to work with. Faux leather would be totally the wrong texture.

I hope SOMETHING in that was helpful. Good luck!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I believe the Williams Studio 2 patterns have suggestions for material and color references?

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1091411 ... e_active_1
Surfer_Bat

Post by Surfer_Bat »

Thank you RRR,

Indeed I've just ordered the patterns from the Williams Studio, and Lynne has been amazing in helping me out.

I very much appreciate your input and suggestions for ideas to tweak the costume ... and yes, unfortunately not very many wild peccaries in Alberta so finding an affordable alternative is a must.

Not having seen any cosplay /costumes in person it's difficult to imagine what'd look best.

I appreciate all the input

Darren
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Here is my Robin.
We are upgrading almost everything, but here he is as of WonderCon.
Rubies Teen Titans go Gloves $11
Body wrappers athletic briefs- $8
Tshirt ( found one tof match shorts) $7
Boot tops made from faux leather $15
Belt is wood and vinyl, stitched according to Williams patterns, buckle made out of wood. $20ish.
Tunic and cape made from Williams patterns. $60ish for materials.mask is from Williams Studios $35, but you can make your own for $5. If you can see it he is holding a CY robin rang, I would recommend.
Pretty inexpensive, looks good we think.
Attachments
Boy wonder
Boy wonder
Surfer_Bat

Post by Surfer_Bat »

Thanks for the recommendations, it's really helped.

Have materials purchased for pretty much everything ... did find some very old "spring weave" material similar to the original robin tights but it's yellow and will not take dye unfortunately, but found a pair of Kelly Green Danskin shorts that'll do the job ... makes it easier now just going to source a Hanes Kelly Green t-shirt for him.

Have some nice heavy cotton that is pretty much a match to the original tunic, along with a lining that compliments it.

Actually found just enough glove leather (basically for nothing) that is similar to the dark green (Agave) to the original robin gloves, and have an aunt that will be making gloves out...we were originally just going to use his vinyl halloween robin gloves, so the find is great.

I'm having a pair of Batman boots made by Duran's in Los Angeles, and Isabel (what a sweet lady) is going to sell me a bit of the suede material for the Robin boots ... found a great How-To video made by Scott Bayles to make replica's of the boots on youtube ... just using old slip on shoes, and basically gluing the material on to the shoe like a veneer... pretty easy.

I have a leather Robin utility belt made by a fellow from this site from years ago ...real leather & brass ... it's pretty cool.

We bought a Williams mask as well as the patterns. However the only problem we're having is sourcing a "champagne or butter" like fabric for the cape. We have a swatch of the original material from Williams but cannot find it here and/or local fabric stores can't/won't order it. I've seen some samples on line but I really can't tell the feel or real colour of it ... would really like it to be as close as possible to the original cape.

Has anyone found a fabric store & a fabric name/number etc., that would meet these needs? Looks like I'll have to be ordering some anyway. I'd appreciate any info on this last piece of the puzzle so to speak.
Surfer_Bat

Post by Surfer_Bat »

Still wondering if anyone has a source for the bridal satin material that as closely matches the swatch from Willaims Studio (the champagne colour) for the Robin cape? Thanks
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Matching a color is nigh on impossible unless you do it in person, so I recommend seeking out a local fabric store. If they don't have what you want, there are lots of places online you can order, but all bets are off in terms of matching colors. All computers are calibrated differently, so no scanned color sample can be absolutely vouched for. I ordered a couple of different things online when I, too, had trouble finding a good color locally, and never got close. I got what felt like a good match to me from a jobber in the fabric district in NY that has since gone out of business. If you want to take your chances online - fabric yardage is cut to order, so is never returnable - here are a couple of good-looking possibilities that are reasonably priced:

https://www.denverfabrics.com/p69184_us ... echarmeuse

https://www.denverfabrics.com/p208238_4 ... back-satin

https://www.denverfabrics.com/p107090_3 ... llow-satin

Good luck.

RRR

PS - These are all described as "dress weight" - probably a little lighter than bridal satin.
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Surfer_Bat

Post by Surfer_Bat »

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated!
Surfer_Bat

Post by Surfer_Bat »

Just thought I'd add an update ... was a bugger sourcing all the materials for the costume but it turned out excellent. Attended Terrificon and my boy received a lot of positive attention and compliments on his costume. Would have liked to have entered him in the kids cosplay contest but we left the convention early to catch a baseball game in Boston
Attachments
Terrificon_Lee _M.jpg
dino_robin.jpg
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

He looks great!!
You both look great, and great photo with Ms. M.!
May I ask where you got gloves and covers? Did you make the tunic?
Well done Chum!
Meule

Post by Meule »

His costume looks fantastic
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

He looks great. You did an outstanding job putting this all together.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Great job! The suits turned out really nicely!
Red Phone

Post by Red Phone »

Beautiful, nothing beats sharing a passion with his children!