Robin's utility belt - small detail

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rickrickrick

Robin's utility belt - small detail

Post by rickrickrick »

Howdy. I'm in the process of making a Robin costume, and while I was making utility belt parts, I came across a small detail that I had a question about.

I looked at all the photographic evidence I could scrounge up, but didn't see the info I was looking for.

Who here has seen the Hardeman suits in person? Does anyone know if the "cylinders" - aka wooden dowels - on Robin's belt have slightly flattened backs, to make them a bit more secure? Or are they completely round?

I know, a tiny little detail, not really worth thinking about. But, you know, OCD, and all that.

Many thanks!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Therin of Andor

Re: Robin's utility belt - small detail

Post by Therin of Andor »

I went to a stationery store in the mid 80s and bought six felt-tipped finepoint pens with yellow plastic caps and barrels. I clipped the caps onto the belt - and sewed those clips onto the belt when they kept sliding up.

Me as Robin by Ian McLean, on Flickr

A year or so later, when my mother wanted her belt back (above), I created a new faux buckle with a miniature gold-edged picture frame (below), slid gold-coloured card behind the glass as the "photo", and glued a yellow vinyl disc to the front of the glass. The real belt clasp is at the back, under the cape.

Me as Robin by Ian McLean, on Flickr

At the "Supergirl" premiere in Sydney, Australia, 1984:

Battalion, Australian Legion of Batman fans by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Hi Rick,

Full round. When they get snugged into the belt, they can look like they have been shaved,

This one has a chip in the front but it's the only photo I have where the back is in full view.
Attachments
robin belt.JPG
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Thanks, Chuck! I can sleep peacefully now! ;)

Those were really creative solutions, Ian.

BTW, this belt will in NO way be screen accurate - I'm making my own faux belt buckle, and the belt will snap together in back, like my "stunt" Batman utility belt. It's just for fun. But it's nice to know real details.

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

My pleasure Rick!
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Frank_The_Riddler

Post by Frank_The_Riddler »

What is the correct width of the robin belt and tube sizing ?
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Batmanwest66 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:59 pm What is the correct width of the robin belt and tube sizing ?
Chuck and Lynne have made of all that great info available in their pattern set:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/109141169/ ... _active_19
Frank_The_Riddler

Post by Frank_The_Riddler »

Thanks I will look in my storage I used to have that info somewhere in a book someone published I don’t need the all the patterns just the belt.