Identifying Bat Label Fonts

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
dreddbatfan

Identifying Bat Label Fonts

Post by dreddbatfan »

I had a pair of Bat Cuffs and a Bat Laser Gun made by tmmello and I'm having some pouches made out of aluminmum then covered in yellow leather for my Clint young 66 Batman Utility Belt.What I need is identifying the fonts for the labels to put on them and how should I do them,a label,paint,marker,etc.If anybody has any suggestions on how to do them let me know.I'm hoping to hear from tmmello about making me a Bat Hook and a pair of Bat Ear Plugs.I've trying to reach him but I haven't heard from him in a long,long time.Has anyone heard from him?Anyways take a look at the pictures and let me know about the fonts.Thanks for anyone who can help me,I really appreciate it.
tumblr_nzl3bggF7f1ultu3qo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_o08c2mS0Km1ultu3qo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nxmquwq2Yo1ultu3qo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nxkchyl14Z1ultu3qo1_1280.jpg
images.jpg
batbeltboxes-1.jpg
mwilbury

Re: Identifying Bat Label Fonts

Post by mwilbury »

Perhaps someone on the board (like Chuck) will be familiar with vintage letter transfers which may lead you to a precise answer.

In the meantime, I've looked at some of my condensed, san-serif fonts. Conveniently, the best match in my collection is a free font called League Gothic.

It is a very good match for the condensed type on the Laser Gun and Bat-Hook labels. If you widen it a bit, it can also pass for the Bat-Cuffs.

The ear plugs pouch is almost certainly hand-lettered. It begs the question as to why they gave it a stenciled appearance.
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

Oh, and the type on the Mini-Charge includes various weights of the Futura font.

I don't know an excellent match among free fonts off the top of my head, but you might try Google's Raleway, Roboto or Muli.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Better shot of the MINI-CHARGE
Attachments
vlcsnap-2017-07-10-22h43m27s191.jpg
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

That's the Hardeman buckle with the mini-charger... :)
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

I notice how they dirty it up (the buckle) so the studio lights don't glare off it.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

mwilbury wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 am The ear plugs pouch is almost certainly hand-lettered. It begs the question as to why they gave it a stenciled appearance.
To me it looks like the propmaker stenciled it as far as "BAT EAR P", then realized there wasn't enough room to finish so they hand-lettered the "LUGS".
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I seem to remember Batman using that mini charge activator from a seated position in another episode. Does anyone know what episode that was and what the death trap was?
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Chuck Williams wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:28 am That's the Hardeman buckle with the mini-charger... :)
Hi Chuck,
I have no doubt you can tell, but how?
Can I ask what identifies it as the "Hardeman"?
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

batrunner1966 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:21 am
Chuck Williams wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:28 am That's the Hardeman buckle with the mini-charger... :)
Hi Chuck,
I have no doubt you can tell, but how?
Can I ask what identifies it as the "Hardeman"?
The pattern of the engraving is like a fingerprint. The patterns of starting and stopping lights up in a particular way.

Hey Boss, during the Ma Parker episode, he used an electric cable an to send a message to the Batcave from the electric chair. Is that what you are thinking?
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Meule

Post by Meule »

chrisbcritter wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:23 am
mwilbury wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 am The ear plugs pouch is almost certainly hand-lettered. It begs the question as to why they gave it a stenciled appearance.
To me it looks like the propmaker stenciled it as far as "BAT EAR P", then realized there wasn't enough room to finish so they hand-lettered the "LUGS".
If it was a stencil the A's would be the same, but they're completely different... the curves on the B are also thicker and uneven... pretty sure that's hand-lettered
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Looks to me like: "We don't have enough time to get a label made up, do it by hand!"
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Meule

Post by Meule »

Batfanman wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:08 pm Looks to me like: "We don't have enough time to get a label made up, do it by hand!"
Here's an interesting question: If you were to replicate this, would you do it with labels, so it looks good (like what was intended) or would you write it the way they did on the show? It would be a perfect replica then, but it wouldn't look that good really...
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

That is a good question. I guess it all depends upon the perspective of the end user. For instance, the mfg. of the Lost In Space B-9 robot replicas make what they feel is a visually accurate representation of the character of the Robot as opposed to making a screen-accurate version that would show dents and other flaws or construction aspects that allowed for on-set functionality. The same could be said for something like this.

That said, I'd probably do a version in a stencil font that was consistent.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Just my opinion but I would go with the labels. IMO the stencil looks to clumsy for such high tech Bat Equiptment.