Batgirl costume build

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
DrewMasie

Batgirl costume build

Post by DrewMasie »

My daughter has decided to be the classic Yvonne Craig Batgirl for an upcoming fund-raising event to fight cancer. I have been scouring the boards here but I'm having trouble finding some specifics. I wonder if anyone on the board can help. We intend to make the costume ourselves, and I ordered a Batgirl-like cape on Ebay (not accurate, but it is a start).

I'm looking for a diagram or measurements for the utility belt. I found one image in a posting by "Etruscan Snood", but the image in the forum is all hosed up. I don't think the design should be too difficult to make, but the proportions of the gold fish-scale belt to the pouches would be a total guess. I'm guessing the pouches are about 3 - 3 1/2 inches tall, and the belt is about 1 1/2 inches, but I just don't know.

Also looking for a diagram/measurements for the chest emblem. I am considering making the emblem out of yellow vinyl or leather, but I want to make sure I get the right size and shape. I've also searched online to see if I can just buy one but no luck so far.

Finally we're also looking for advice on how to construct the Batgirl domino mask. Greg at GVM Designs makes a nice one, but it's not in the budget. Any help is appreciated!!
Batman65

Re: Batgirl costume build

Post by Batman65 »

This sounds like a job for Chuck Williams.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Yes, I'll bet Chuck knows all the secrets. He and Lynne are the experts!
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

How big/old is your daughter? Ideally, the belt will be scaled to her size, not necessarily Yvonne's - unless she is an adult.

Here's what I can tell you from my research - and this is just estimates based on making photos true to scale as much as possible...

The vintage fishscale belts that Batgirl (and Catwoman) wore are a known 1 3/4" wide. If you take a photo of Yvonne and scale it up until the belt is the right size, that makes her buckle approx. 3 7/8" wide, and 2 7/8" tall. The pouches end up being just about 2 3/4" tall, and about 2 1/4" wide. Proportionally, that makes her chest emblem a little bigger than 5" wide and 3" tall.

Hope that is helpful.

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Thanks Rick! She is about 5'4" and a little heavier than Yvonne, but the same dimensions should work. I will give your measurements a try. If anyone has a vector graphic of the chest emblem or knows where I can buy one that would be helpful too.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Here's a chest emblem.
Attachments
Batgirl chest emblem.png
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

Here's my take on the belt buckle. I made it perfectly symmetrical which probably is not accurate to the original but was my preference.
Attachments
batgirl-buckle.jpg
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Thanks everyone! These images will really help. After studying the reference photos I made a template for the pouch. I think the proportions are about right, but I'd welcome any feedback.
Attachments
Batgirl-pouch.png
Batgirl-pouch.png (6.01 KiB) Viewed 8976 times
Surfer_Bat

Post by Surfer_Bat »

I might looking at making pouches for my daughters costume and came across an old post from May 2009 Re: "Batgirl Belt Pouches" where Chuck W. notes the vintage YC pouches were 3" tall x 2 3/4" wide x 1/2" thick

Another of his posts says buckles were 4 x 3"

I saw a close up of one of her pouches and appears it was just a painted wooded block with a leather flap added over the top.

My old Batmam belt belt has painted blocks with the leather flap. Would be interested to know how easy it is to get a "tight" looking box using vinyl or faux leather approach, what people use for glue etc
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

I saw a post someplace where the pouches were made from 2 pieces of thick craft foam glued together and a thin piece of craft foam used for the flap. Those "google-eyed" craft eyes were used for the snap buttons. The pouches are coated with Plati-Dip, then painted yellow and affixed to the belt using elastic waist band material.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Update: We completed my daughter's Batgirl costume and premiered it Saturday at a small convention in Pasadena. I also completed my first Batman suit, but need to make some changes before I wear it again. Here we are with a young fan. Thanks to all of you that helped by posting the images!
Attachments
20171001_063815.png
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Wow. Everything looks great! Fantastic job!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Double Bat-tastic!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

You guys look great!
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

Both costumes look excellent. Great work!