Matty Cowl Costume Matches

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
ArmyWarrant66

Matty Cowl Costume Matches

Post by ArmyWarrant66 »

Looking for fabric type, color, and vendor to purchase fabric to make Cape, shorts, and gloves to match Matty Cowl. Is the Cape the same color as all the other items in costume? I have ordered the patterns from Williams studio and they will arrive this week. Thanks
Ben Bentley

Re: Matty Cowl Costume Matches

Post by Ben Bentley »

Welcome to our board!

I can't help directly with fabric recommendations but I can tell you that the cape was a different (and heavier) silk to the material used for Cowl, Trunks and Gloves.
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

The cowl, briefs, and gloves of the original costumes were all made of a stretch satin material, while the cape is not stretch fabric, just regular woven satin. Matching colors is one of the hardest parts of the process. If you are serious about matching, I suggest you do not order fabric online - unless you are prepared to be disappointed. There is absolutely no way to get a true representation of a color online - every webmaster's computer, and every viewer's computer are going to be calibrated for color differently. I suggest you take the cowl with you when you shop for fabric, if at all possible.

I made my briefs and gloves from jumbo spandex. The cape is bridal satin. So, between my cowl (which is made from Chuck's original lastex material), my briefs/gloves, and my cape, I had to color-match THREE different materials! Took a lot of searching!

Good luck!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
peterparker55

Post by peterparker55 »

Looks like you are on the same journey I began last December! I ordered the Matty Cowl and utility belt, tried them on, and just had to make the rest of the costume. I ordered the Williams patterns too. I just tried to get close in my color matching. Bought the stretch fabric from Joann’s, and tried to match it as closely as possible to the cowl. Ended up buying the cape material from Walmart, it was called costume satin and was $1.99 a yard I think. It was a lot of fun watching the costume come together.
ArmyWarrant66

Post by ArmyWarrant66 »

peterparker55 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:33 pm Looks like you are on the same journey I began last December! I ordered the Matty Cowl and utility belt, tried them on, and just had to make the rest of the costume. I ordered the Williams patterns too. I just tried to get close in my color matching. Bought the stretch fabric from Joann’s, and tried to match it as closely as possible to the cowl. Ended up buying the cape material from Walmart, it was called costume satin and was $1.99 a yard I think. It was a lot of fun watching the costume come together.
What was the color/type fabric you got from Joanns for the Cape? I was just shopping and could not find a good match.
peterparker55

Post by peterparker55 »

I think it was Navy Blue Satin, the four-way stretch kind, that was for the trunks and gloves. For the cape, I got Costume Satin from Wal-Mart.
ArmyWarrant66

Post by ArmyWarrant66 »

Thanks guys. I finally found a perfect match after looking for a week. Cape is being made now.