Surfs Up in Portland!

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
peterparker55

Surfs Up in Portland!

Post by peterparker55 »

Thanks to inspiration from Bat Roy, I decided to do Surfs Up Batman for this year’s Rose City ComicCon in Portland this past weekend. Wow, was it well received! Everybody there loved it!

For the surfboard I purchased a light weight foam board for around $60 and then painted it yellow. I had to use water based acrylic and put on about 12 coats of paint to cover up the existing pattern. I ordered the logo from eBay, I was going to use contact cement to stick it on but instead ended up using blue painter’s tape.

The yellow shorts I purchased from Amazon for about $15, and then made stencils of the different patterns from the original baggies that Batman wore by freeze-framing different scenes from the episode and then free-hand drawing it as close as I could get it. Then I spray painted the stencils using white fabric paint onto the yellow baggies. It’s not exact, but close and ended up looking pretty good!

It was a lot of fun making it, this Saturday is Adam West day in Walla Walla, I’m planning to wear it down there. Should be fun! (Btw, that’s a can of Shark Repellent in the pic :D )
Attachments
06BCE955-458D-4899-B6F9-F5592AA5B1C8.jpeg
John Mack

Re: Surfs Up in Portland!

Post by John Mack »

You did a great job on those baggies! Should have used a stencil from your chest logo for the surf board though (incorrect logo), but other than that a great job! Maybe do the logo change before Walla Walla?
Music. BAT! Music.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Great job! You look to have had some real fun with variation!

Am I right in thinking you bumped into fellow board member Andy Fish? I'm sure I saw some photos of you that he posted on his Instagram over the weekend.
peterparker55

Post by peterparker55 »

Thanks for the kind words!

Agree on the logo, it was the closest I could find at the time. I'll do some more hunting, but probably won't be able to do anything before Walla Walla.
John Mack wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:48 pm You did a great job on those baggies! Should have used a stencil from your chest logo for the surf board though (incorrect logo), but other than that a great job! Maybe do the logo change before Walla Walla?
peterparker55

Post by peterparker55 »

I did get to meet Andy Fish, really nice guy! I also got to meet Allan Quick who's also on this board, and his wife who cosplayed Batgirl. And I got to talk with Burt Ward! Needless to say I had a great time :D
Ben Bentley wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:43 am Great job! You look to have had some real fun with variation!

Am I right in thinking you bumped into fellow board member Andy Fish? I'm sure I saw some photos of you that he posted on his Instagram over the weekend.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

peterparker55 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:32 am I did get to meet Andy Fish, really nice guy! I also got to meet Allan Quick who's also on this board, and his wife who cosplayed Batgirl. And I got to talk with Burt Ward! Needless to say I had a great time :D
Ben Bentley wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:43 am Great job! You look to have had some real fun with variation!

That's great to hear! I always love hearing stories of board members getting to meet up!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I was really impressed with the suit-- he did a great job matching the fabrics and the Mattel Cowl looked the best I've ever seen it in person.

He did a variant-- day one he was straight Batman and day two showed up with the baggies and the surfboard. REALLY rocked it.

The shark repellent was a nice touch too.
batfan1705

Post by batfan1705 »

Great job! I like what you did with the shorts, I just used the closest thing I could find off of the rack! I also just used a small boogie board instead of a full sized surfboard so that I could carry it more easily in a crowded convention hall. And the smaller size of the board meant that I could use one of my chest emblems to decorate it!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

If you have the logo downloaded as a file, you can always adjust the size of the logo and print it out on adhesive paper or label paper. I would imagine that 10-11" wide would be appropriate.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

Haha! Very well done!
- Boy Genius
drucevain

Post by drucevain »

Great job, do you have or could you send me a link to the baggies on amazon as cannot find them, or does anyone know of a pattern i could use to recreate a pair ?
i'll stand at the bar i shouldn't wish to attract attention !