Ben's IKEA customized Bat-Signal

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Troy

Re: Ben's IKEA customized Bat-Signal

Post by Troy »

Great, now I want one....

Great job Ben!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Troy wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:20 pm Great, now I want one....

Great job Ben!
Whoops, sorrrrrrry! ;)
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

The mini-version has found a nice home this holiday season - Happy Holidays everybody & thanks again, Ben for the inspiration!
Attachments
Bat display.jpg
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Meule

Post by Meule »

That looks cool
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Batfanman wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:30 pm The mini-version has found a nice home this holiday season - Happy Holidays everybody & thanks again, Ben for the inspiration!
Oh sweet! The smaller version turned out great! I've still not gotten around to making my smaller one. Is that a Samy Bat-Phone btw?
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

I love it! Half the size of the larger light so it fits nicely atop a table, etc. Going to make a large one also. That is a Samy batphone. Unfortunately, most of the incoming calls are from telemarketers and not Cmsr. Gordon... Got to change the number (once I figure out the number!) :)

Happy New Year, all!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
AgentZekeKelso

Post by AgentZekeKelso »

Hi Ben,
I saw this project on your blog and I had to get more info about it. This is just to cool, well done! I am purchasing this lamp for my batcave as well and I was wondering where you got the new plastic for the cover along with the signal. Also, what are the dimensions of the plastic top. Thanks for any help you can provide and Happy New Year!
Alex
allknighters

Post by allknighters »

Your room looks amazing!! great job!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

AgentZekeKelso wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:50 pm Hi Ben,
I saw this project on your blog and I had to get more info about it. This is just to cool, well done! I am purchasing this lamp for my batcave as well and I was wondering where you got the new plastic for the cover along with the signal. Also, what are the dimensions of the plastic top. Thanks for any help you can provide and Happy New Year!
Alex
Hey Alex! Thanks for the kinds words and also thanks for checking out my blog.

The diameter of the clear plastic lens I had made is 435mm. The Bat-Logo I had cut out was 300mm from longest point to longest point.

Below is a link to the Adobe Illustrator file for the logo that Scott kindly re-created for me from a screen capture:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/de1wfj78mn8zg ... in.ai?dl=0
AgentZekeKelso

Post by AgentZekeKelso »

Thanks for all the info. I got the lamp from Ikea after a delay in them getting out to California. Found an acrylic company to to the heavy lifting, but I wanted to ask you, were your screw mounts in the lamp centered. I noticed that mine are slightly off and I'm gonna have to take that into account when I glue on the bat insignia. Still should turn out great, but I'll have to eyeball it.
AgentZekeKelso

Post by AgentZekeKelso »

Got my batsignal all finished. Thanks for all the help Ben! It really was a wonderful idea on your part, and fairly easy and fun to execute. So much so that I probably have my brothers' birthday presents nailed down now ;).
Attachments
batsig42.jpg
Caped_Crusader

Post by Caped_Crusader »

I'm glad I found this thread. I've finally found a local acrylic company and can't wait to put my own Bat-signal together. I currently have the lamp in a hallway and I have it on a timer so that it's on in the morning and at night. It's just going to make me all the happier to see it functioning as a Bat-Nite-Lite!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I need another light in my studio for one of the corners-- this is a brilliant concept Ben! If one has access to a sign company they could also cut the symbol in heavy adhesive vinyl if you had the vector image.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Caped_Crusader wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:17 am I'm glad I found this thread. I've finally found a local acrylic company and can't wait to put my own Bat-signal together. I currently have the lamp in a hallway and I have it on a timer so that it's on in the morning and at night. It's just going to make me all the happier to see it functioning as a Bat-Nite-Lite!
Awesome! I'm glad people are still digging this project a few years down the line - really happy to be able to help!

Be sure to share a photo of your finished Bat-Signal!