Son’s utility belt upgrade

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
floatinjoe

Son’s utility belt upgrade

Post by floatinjoe »

Last year, I was finally able to make a full costume for my then 4-year-old. The project actually started the previous Halloween, but it took time to assemble all of the pieces.

I had made the belt out of vinyl and craft foam, and also skipped the rods. This year, I felt it was time to upgrade it. The belt is now made with wooden blocks and dowels covered with vinyl. I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out. The hardest part was ensuring that the flaps on the pouches stayed straight.

He hasn’t seen it yet; he’ll see it when he gets home from school. With time, I’ll have to upgrade the rest of the costume too.

Mike
D1272589-953D-4EAF-BA8B-37B72C2E9718.jpeg
floatinjoe

Re: Son’s utility belt upgrade

Post by floatinjoe »

Another picture.
2FD0336F-F061-4004-8C54-3C770E37C21D.jpeg
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

He is going to love this. You did a great job on the upgrade!
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Nice job Chum. What is buckle made of?
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

Thanks. I bought the buckle about two years ago, and I'll have to check and see if I can find the information on it. It is a flat piece of thin metal, and I believe it is thermal printed. Someone was selling full-size ones on eBay and I asked them to scale it down for me. It's attached to the belt with strips of velcro, so he puts it on and off like a normal belt.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Outstanding work!!!
WELL DONE!!
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

Chuck, that means a lot coming from you. I told my wife that this was a good practice round for me making my own belt. However, when I finally order a belt from you (I think it will probably be after the bust, but who knows), I think I want the "vanity" pouches... not sure if you make them that size, but if you do, that's definitely what I want. I really think I like the way they look better.
westbatman

Post by westbatman »

Beautiful work, I'm sure Jack is going to enjoy it!

Andy
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

Looks fantastic!
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

You are an awesome Dad.

I will always remember the Batman costume my Mom made me over 40 years ago, when the only "official" option we had was the flame-retardant, sleeveless, plastic Ben Cooper garbage bag. She sewed mine out of old sheets and died it with Rit to make the "tights" (admittedly baggy) gray and the cape and cowl blue. I probably looked more like "Serial Batman" than Adam West, but I was one proud kid, I can tell you.

All of which is to say, kids always remember things like this that are made with loving care as a one-of-a-kind, personal item, and I guarantee you every minute you put into this was worth it. Kudos to you, sir.

And if you're looking to adopt, I don't eat much.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Great job! This turned out really nicely. It looks like you did a great job on scaling it down for your boy. Top Dad points!
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

That is so great for you to do that for your son!
He'll always remember that.
My cousin had a homemade Batman outfit his mother sewed for him (I was younger so I always had to be Robin) that I loved. I was about 6 or 7 and still remember it.
Actually, my love for that costume 50+ years ago is probably the main driving force behind my buying so many pieces from Williams Studio 2.
Hardeen

Post by Hardeen »

SprangFan wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:56 am You are an awesome Dad.

I will always remember the Batman costume my Mom made me over 40 years ago, when the only "official" option we had was the flame-retardant, sleeveless, plastic Ben Cooper garbage bag. She sewed mine out of old sheets and died it with Rit to make the "tights" (admittedly baggy) gray and the cape and cowl blue. I probably looked more like "Serial Batman" than Adam West, but I was one proud kid, I can tell you.

All of which is to say, kids always remember things like this that are made with loving care as a one-of-a-kind, personal item, and I guarantee you every minute you put into this was worth it. Kudos to you, sir.

And if you're looking to adopt, I don't eat much.
My mom made me a Batsuit and my best friend a Robin outfit in either 1966 or '67 using a pattern she bought from a fabric shop. She used a set of gray pajamas that fit like thermal underwear for the tights. It was complete. Gloves, cowl, cape, utility belt with actual working pouches, even spats that fit over my shoes to look like boots. The Robin costume was the same way. I had mine until I moved away from home. At some point my mom made the executive decision to give it to one of my second cousins, other wise I'd probably still have it.

Like you, I was so proud of my costume (I remember wearing the costume under my real clothes once in the summer "just like Batman" in the comics. I thought I was going to die of heat stroke. Never did that again.) and proud doesn't do justice to how I felt for my mom for making these for me and my buddy.

JMD