Bat Utility Belt Questions

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
floatinjoe

Bat Utility Belt Questions

Post by floatinjoe »

This past weekend, I put on my costume for the first time in a year to go out trick-or-treating with my son. I've lost weight in that time, and the costume fit SO MUCH better. However, I had made my belt with a fixed length, and it is now slightly big, causing it to slip.

So, two questions:

I tried using the velcro on the back of the buckle to attach it to my trunks. I must have been doing something wrong, because it wasn't staying together well. Could someone post a picture of the back of their buckle showing how they attached the velcro?

For those with adjustable belts, what do you think is the best method? I've seen people do elastic or laces. Are there other methods? The elastic seems to be the best idea in my mind. Are there any recommended types or sources for 4-inch elastic?

Thanks,
Mike
Batfanman

Re: Bat Utility Belt Questions

Post by Batfanman »

Hope this helps. Another option would be to also clamp the rear left & rear right of your belt to your trunk waist line - you can use a binder clamp w/ a piece of cardboard to go in between the inner waistband & the clamp to prevent damage to the trunks.

You could also sever the belt at the rear and create a Velcro-ed attached bridge to make an adjustable belt out of it.
Attachments
Bat Buckle Velcro.jpg
Bat Buckle Velcro.jpg (42.49 KiB) Viewed 3535 times
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

Thanks for the picture, but I think it needs to go on the other part of the hook? Where the arrow is will be covered by the belt.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

floatinjoe wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:29 pm Thanks for the picture, but I think it needs to go on the other part of the hook? Where the arrow is will be covered by the belt.
All better! Didn't look close enough when adding arrow!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

Thanks! I had placed my Velcro below the prong, and in-line with the bottom edge. I will get it moved tonight before heading back out tomorrow.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

With regards to your second question, about making the belt adjustable - Early belts from the show used the lace method but eventually they moved on to the elastic option given the additional comfort factor on top of the adaptability that it afforded Adam and Hubie.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I used the lace method on mine also. My belt actually stays snug enough that it doesn’t move much at all, so I never used Velcro. If additional eyelets are needed to snug the belt some, they are extremely easy to install. Your local Hobby Lobby has these for cheap and can be installed in very little time with little effort.