Custom Robin boots

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
DrewMasie

Custom Robin boots

Post by DrewMasie »

Greetings Bat-friends.

For some time now I've been trying to assemble an accurate reproduction of Robin's costume. I've purchased everything WilliamsStudio2 offers, but I've never been able to find boots that were close to the real thing.

After (too) many hours of searching I found an artisan in Italy that makes Renaissance type shoes for costumes, and asked if he could make something like these from green suede (fortunately he speaks English). Since I'd exhausted every other source I figured it was worth a shot. He just sent me photos of the finished boots. Frankly I'm astonished how close he came working just from a picture. The reproductions are on top, the real boots below.

I don't have them yet, but I am excited to see them in person. Thought I'd share my small success with like-minded folks who can appreciate the details.
Attachments
20180904_183947.jpg
1535310625778-238.jpg
Jimmy L. 66

Re: Custom Robin boots

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Brilliant!
Can I get more info? Who, and how much? I would be interested in a pair.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

I found the vendor on Etsy.com. His store is called Unzipo. I paid about $172 with shipping.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Thanks, those are really nice.
Etruscan Snood

Post by Etruscan Snood »

I don't know if Duran's custom shoe makers in LA is still in business, but they have the original patterns I believe. Matching the green suede is the biggest issue.
Etruscan Snood

Post by Etruscan Snood »

I do have to say, though, those look pretty nice.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Duran's is still in business, I bought my Batman boots through them. Not sure how accurate they are, but the price is at least double of what I paid. On the plus side they don't have to go through customs and risk getting lost in international mail.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Here's a photo of Duran's Robin boots from one of the other members for comparison.
Attachments
IMG_6496.JPG
IMG_6496.JPG (57.87 KiB) Viewed 7037 times
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

In March 1984, I customized some commercially-available, green suede desert boots for my "Robin the Boy Wonder" costume. I originally saw these Australian-made Latigos desert boots in fashion shoe stores about a year earlier. In the 70s, you could only find them in beige or black suede but, suddenly, you could find them in vibrant pink, purple, red, orange... and green. I went back to buy a pair for my Robin costume but there were no green pairs in my size. I went one size smaller. Without the laces, and when wearing only the thin nylon tights, they fitted perfectly!

Wonder Woman and Robin at Medtrek II by Ian McLean, on Flickr

To create the pixie points, I found green suede elbow patches from a leather store. I was able to cut the pixie points and sandwich them with craft glue around pipe cleaners (to add some flexibility). The points are simply stapled onto the boots. Over decades, the suede tips have curled a little and probably need a spray with Fabulon starch and a quick iron.

Robin boots by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Terrific Trio by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

That was a very creative approach to making your own boots.

I did purchase some green suede with the thought of attempting to modify an existing pair of shoes if I could find the right shape. I've cut women's boots to try and mimic the shape, but wasn't really satisfied with the result.

My problem with this and other projects is that I don't have access to a heavy duty sewing machine that can sew leather or suede. Glue is not strong enough, and I don't have the skills or knowledge to try and sew it by hand. Cobblers are few and far between, and their rates are pretty high.

One can buy shoe covers, or use something like felt instead of suede, but I'm trying to do justice to the high quality vest, cape, and trunks I purchased from our friends Chuck and Lynne Williams.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Those custom Italian boots turned out nicely!
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Those actually turned out really good. They definitely accomplish the look.