Tights/Glove Fabric Recommendations

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
hopkinsjeff

Tights/Glove Fabric Recommendations

Post by hopkinsjeff »

Hi Batans!
I appreciate this helpful supportive community!

I've purchased Chuck and Lynn's patterns, and am hoping to start on some new gloves and briefs (is that what you call them?).

I've picked up the Admiral Blue swatch from Home Depot and am going to head off to the fabric store...but wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on fabrics, with product numbers/purchase info. I'm in Los Angeles, so we have Joann Fabrics and many other options.

Thanks very much in advance!
Jeff
DrewMasie

Re: Tights/Glove Fabric Recommendations

Post by DrewMasie »

Hi. I don't have any specific recommendations, but depending on how accurate you want to be you may have to purchase more than one type of fabric. Gloves are difficult to make, and the "real" Bat gloves are satin with a leather palm. You may be able to get by with a stretch satin. Some satins don't have any stretch, which are good for capes, but you'll probably want a 2-way stretch satin for the trunks. The hard part is matching the color from different fabrics.

Joanne's probably won't have the color you're looking for, but since you're in LA, you might consider a visit to the Fashion District. Maybe go with someone that knows the area so you don't get overwhelmed by the number of shops and choices. Prices are probably better too.

You can also order samples of fabric online from many suppliers.

Good luck!