Batman Birthday Bash! (Party like it's 1966)

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
mwilbury

Batman Birthday Bash! (Party like it's 1966)

Post by mwilbury »

A few months ago, my son decided he wanted to have a Batman-themed party for his 3rd birthday. I knew right away that I was going to go overboard and, of course, take all my inspiration from our favorite TV show. I’ve finally recovered and spent time polishing some photos.

I made a ton of custom designs for party favors and decorations, more than I could finish. I’ll include additional pics and details below, and you can see even more photos in my Flickr photo album.

We hosted the party at a children’s gymnasium, and the kids had a great time. Instead of the drab blue/black/grey used for most Batman-themed parties, I went bold and colorful like the show. I used predominantly bright blue, yellow, and lime.

As I mentioned in another thread, my son’s homemade costume has a pretty cool story.

2018-11-17-Andy_Birthday-Andy_swing.jpg
2018-11-17-Andy_Birthday-Icing.jpg
2018-11-17-Andy_Birthday-Betty.jpg
2018-11-17-Andy_Birthday-cookies.jpg
2018-11-17-Andy_Birthday-Costume.jpg
2018-11-17-Andy_Birthday-group.jpg
mwilbury

Re: Batman Birthday Bash! (Party like it's 1966)

Post by mwilbury »

Invitation and Thank-You Card

I posted another thread around Halloween with my son’s Bruce Wayne hotline photo. I’ve included some outtake photos in the Flickr album. I stayed mostly faithful to the TV show with colors and type, but I couldn’t resist including a Super Friends homage.

I ended up doing only web-based invitations, so that I could animate the card and save money. Still, I created a mockup of the paper invitation.

View the animated invitation here.

2018-11-17-Andy_Birthday-Invitation-Mockup.jpg

I designed custom Thank-You cards, of course. I printed, trimmed, and folded them by hand and fed the envelopes on a LaserJet. One version is designed for hand-delivery and the other uses a classic Batman typeface for the address and return address.

2018-11-17-Andy_Birthday-Thank_You_Card-1.jpg
2018-11-17-Andy_Birthday-Thank_You_Card-2.jpg
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

Dinnerware

I designed parody plates, napkins and cups. The plate is made-to-order, digital print. The cup is plotter-cut vinyl, and it was a hassle, so I only made a couple. That worked out, as the kids drank from juice boxes. The napkins are made with a custom stamp that I had made from my own vector file. I spent 30 minutes or so stamping dozens of blank napkins from Party City.

2018-11-17-Andy_Birthday-Flatware.jpg

I made a special plate for the birthday boy. I VERY carefully applied plotter-cut, adhesive vinyl to a plastic plate. It looks like great, even up close. Ten weeks later, it’s still being used, though the tiny corners are showing signs that they will finally begin peeling.

2018-11-17-Andy_Birthday-Bat-Plate.jpg
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

Decorations

My wife found a really cool cupcake display online. It was only $20 or $30, made from coated, corrugated cardboard. It’s HUGE and looks like a skyscraper… very much like the one in the Batman credits! All I had to do was add the Bat-signal which I printed and mounted to foam core.

2018-11-17-Andy_Birthday-Cupcake_Tower-1.jpg
2018-11-17-Andy_Birthday-Cupcake_Tower-2.jpg

I made Bat-Labels, LaserJet prints mounted to card stock, to adorn the snack areas.

2018-11-17-Andy_Birthday-Signage.jpg

I made a layered foam sign depicting the ’66 Bat Signal. You can see it in the Flickr album.

2018-11-17-Andy_Birthday-Sign_Bat-Signal.jpg

Two years ago, I created a POW cutout for The Bat Swings! jazz concert. I repurposed it for my son's party, but failed to get a photo of it during the party. Here it is in 2017 at Dr. Phillips Center for Performing Arts in Orlando.

2017-04-14-POW_Matt_Andy_3.jpg
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

Cookie Favors

I’m probably most pleased with the custom cookies I designed as a party favor for the guests. They were baked and decorated by Bunny Boots Bakery.

As you can see from my Photoshop mockup below, she did an exceptional job bringing them to life.

I intended for Catwoman's mask to be dusted with sanding sugar for that sparkly look, but I forgot to specifically request it. I had to add it to one example in my photo collection.

2018-11-17-Andy_Birthday-Cookies-2.jpg

I originally planned to produce a mask that would double as Robin and Riddler, but dropped those to save money. I figured the kids wouldn't find them as exciting anyway.

2018-11-17-Andy_Birthday-Cookies-Mockup.jpg
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

Unused Concepts (Holy Outtakes)

I created a custom version of the main TV logo with my son’s name. My intent was to create another layered foam sign, but I dropped it to save time.

Batman_TV_Logo-ANDREW.jpg

When she’s planning a party, my wife does a lot of browsing on Pinterest. She introduced me to 'cupcake wrappers' (sleeves). They are a popular way to decorate cupcakes without putting so much effort into the icing and such. You print and cut them from cardstock. I put extensive effort into these designs but ran out of time. If he has another Batman-themed party, I will be sure these make it to the table. This is one of my favorite bits out of the whole suite of designs.

2018-Andy_Birthday-Cupcake_Wrapper_Concept.jpg

I also designed foil confetti to spread around the tables. I planned to cut them from foil-coated paper with a craft-cutter. Again, I ran out of time!

2018-Andy_Birthday-Confetti_MOCKUP.jpg

I also made a concept image for Green Hornet and Kato cookies. I never considered spending the additional money on them, but it was a fun exercise.

2018-11-17-Cookies_Concepts-Green_Hornet.jpg
Lee Kirkham

Post by Lee Kirkham »

Um...WOW
I find you to be odious, abhorrent and insegrevious.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Wow is an understatement! My first thought is why wasn't I invited?? ;)
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

Holy birthday bash! Such fantastic ideas and execution!
Meule

Post by Meule »

That is friggin AWESOME
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

This is amazing! What a great party!
dell

Post by dell »

Wow. Great job!
dell
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

It’s official: Every other birthday party - forever - will be just OK. 😄

Oh, and mask cookies for the win. Those things are awesome!
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

That is amazing! Boy, would I have loved that when I was a little kid! Boy...I would love it now!!! :D
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
hmartinsfilho

Post by hmartinsfilho »

Fantastic!