Starting a Robin

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Ryss

Starting a Robin

Post by Ryss »

Hi everyone!

As the title says, I'm about to embark on putting together a Robin costume. I've been recruited by my friends the wonderful Ruby and Jen (congrats again, by the way!) since they lack a sidekick. I'm something of a convention newbie but I've done a bunch of Star Wars costuming, and some other fun things for my first Dragon*Con this year, so I kinda know what I'm getting myself into...
I'm still in the research phase, so no fun progress pictures or anything yet, but I wanted to introduce myself! (And, of course, your favorite helpful resource links are always welcome.)
Ryss aka Rachel
Bat Roy

Re: Starting a Robin

Post by Bat Roy »

Hey :) welcome to the most awesome place on earth for a batman fan :D
starting a robin costume is way fun hope your really successful with it alright
some important stuff I can tell you to help you out first if you want you should
definitely purchase a accurate costume pattern off an awesome very talented member
on this board Chuck Williams it will help you out a lot if your going to make it yourself
http://www.etsy.com/listing/91651157/ws ... ef=pr_shop
also just look around and you will find a lot of helpful and useful info to help you on your costume good luck and can't wait to see you complete it :D
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Hey and welcome to our board!

Williams Studio Patterns are definitely the way to go. I'm sure Ruby can point you in the right direction!

Good luck with your build, make sure you share the photos of the fun along the way! :)
Lewis Tully

Post by Lewis Tully »

Welcome to the Cave! (I, too am a new guy around here.) So is this a Boy Wonder, or a Girl Wonder you are working on??? I am in the process of doing a take on the '66 Robin for my girlfriend as well. We have started with Chuck's pattern and are working towards altering that pattern into a female friendly version. I will post any progress along the way. Good luck with your build!
Ryss

Post by Ryss »

Ooh, thanks for the pattern link! That looks fantastic.

Lewis Tully wrote:Welcome to the Cave! (I, too am a new guy around here.) So is this a Boy Wonder, or a Girl Wonder you are working on??? I am in the process of doing a take on the '66 Robin for my girlfriend as well. We have started with Chuck's pattern and are working towards altering that pattern into a female friendly version. I will post any progress along the way. Good luck with your build!
Technically I'm a Girl Wonder, but I want to stay pretty accurate, so I don't plan to change anything to make it more female. Robin and I share a pretty androgynous look. Looking forward to seeing your progress too!
Ryss aka Rachel
rubinekso

Post by rubinekso »

Good work old chum! I'm glad to see I have a future sidekick in the works!!! Gotham city needs you!
Bat 66

Post by Bat 66 »

Any new developments ?
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

The original pattern is pretty "Female Friendly" as it is if you ask me!

Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Ryss

Post by Ryss »

Bat 66 wrote:Any new developments ?
Thanks for checking in!

Not much new to report -- been busy with other projects too -- but I've been doing my research and have a plan for most parts of this costume. Progress may be slow, but it'll happen. Especially thanks to that awesome pattern.
Ryss aka Rachel
rubinekso

Post by rubinekso »

Rachel... did you get the pattern?
Ryss

Post by Ryss »

rubinekso wrote:Rachel... did you get the pattern?
I did! And it's a great pattern. The cloth parts will be pretty easy, I think. Apologies for lack of updates to this project, though... Without Dragon*Con looming, my costume-making speed slows down. :?
Ryss aka Rachel
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

Does anyone have a clear photo of the back of Robin's cape when it is folded over the shoulders in the typical style?
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Here's one I had handy. Replica cape, same size and shape, with the snaps all in the same position as the original.

Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

Perfect, thanks!
Aussie Batfan

Post by Aussie Batfan »

Chuck you are the best!