Vader1974's Bat Cuffs Build

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Vader1974

Vader1974's Bat Cuffs Build

Post by Vader1974 »

I needed another Batman 66 prop to go with my Bat Radio and Batgirl Walkie for the DFW Prop Party. I figured the Bat Cuffs would be a fun and relatively easy prop to tackle. So here it goes!

After a bit of research on the web and on the forums, I decided to start from scratch. I dug up some screen caps, still photos, other replicas, and even toys. I kept coming back to this B&W Still of what should be the actual prop and this compilation of Batman.
Batman-TV-Series-Handcuffs-8x10-Photo-N1571.jpg
Batman_BatCuffs-Ref.jpg
Batman_BatCuffs-Ref.jpg (60.07 KiB) Viewed 8144 times
I completed a couple of quick drawings in Illustrator and then off to the local library for a little private time with the laser.
On the Laser
On the Laser
The cuffs are designed in six total parts (3 layers each for the top and bottom). The prototype looked pretty good but too thick! I designed them to use a bar magnet for closure.
Bat Cuff Magnet Closure
Bat Cuff Magnet Closure
I changed the outer layers to a 3/32" board and was able to get the total thickness to about .4".

Here is the version that will be making the DFW Prop Party, might try going thinner next time. Chain is 9 links of 5 gauge jack chain. I have not attached yet, waiting on the paint to dry.
Bat Cuffs Closed
Bat Cuffs Closed
Bat Cuffs Open
Bat Cuffs Open
"The cigar is a sign of relaxation. The cigarette is a sign of tension." Red Auerbach
Meule

Re: Vader1974's Bat Cuffs Build

Post by Meule »

Wow, those look fantastic, job really well done
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

A great addition for any good crimefighter's utility belt.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Have you considered an aluminum pair? It looks like the laser might be able to do it if turned up to "11"

It would be 1 way to get to a thinner set.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Vader1974

Post by Vader1974 »

Yeah, I could easily get it thinner using aluminum, but I like the idea of getting as close to the original in terms of materials as I can. BTW - the laser at my library cannot cut aluminum.

I ended up using a painted jump ring to attach the chain to the cuffs. I might end up trying to build a thinner set and moving the chain attachment point closer to the edge, so that I don't have to use a jump ring. While I believe the 5 gauge chain is correct it is a bear to open and close a link.
"The cigar is a sign of relaxation. The cigarette is a sign of tension." Red Auerbach
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

First, very cool and well done. Second, your library has a laser??? Now that's awesome!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Those turned out wonderfully! Also, I think you did right going back to that image of the original - quite a lot of the replicas over the years have taken some pretty interesting liberties.

BTW..."Libraries with Lazers" is a B-movie I would totally watch! :D
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Ben Bentley wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:40 pm
It’s one of my favorites, sorry I couldn’t resist! :D
Attachments
0DEBF3BD-1803-49C4-9019-9631E1B67D8A.jpeg
0DEBF3BD-1803-49C4-9019-9631E1B67D8A.jpeg (41.49 KiB) Viewed 7843 times
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

THE BATPHONE! wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:18 pm
Ben Bentley wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:40 pm
It’s one of my favorites, sorry I couldn’t resist! :D
Ahahahaha!
Troy

Post by Troy »

I WANT!!!!!