First post - could use utility belt advice

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Macnmotion

First post - could use utility belt advice

Post by Macnmotion »

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I decided only recently to begin assembling a Batman 1966 costume for Halloween. The reality is that I began too late. The further reality is that I live in Bangkok, so resources here are very lean.

I won't have an authentic-looking cowl. And I can't buy men's tights here, so I'm using gray long johns (not looking forward to wearing long johns in Bangkok's 100 degree heat). But I found some decent fabric for a cape, shorts, gloves and boot toppers (not easy fashioning gloves without a pattern and without sewing experience). I'll do the best I can with those. I plan to continue improving the costume over the next year so that by next Halloween I'm much closer to authentic.

I've been putting together a utility belt, making the best of a complete lack of resources and craft shops here. Most crafty things can be purchased from Ali Express, but they come from China and take weeks to arrive. So I am using 4" velcro as the main belt, balsa wood and dowels for the pouches, and foam rubber and kitchen magnets for the pouch buckles. I drew the belt buckle on the computer, printed to gloss inkjet paper, clear coated, and mounted to foam rubber. And I added in a Shark Repellent canister. I've used hot glue and velcro to attach all of these items to the belt, but I'm having trouble making the canister stay on. There obviously isn't a lot of surface area for the glue to hold on to, and when the belt curves around my waist the canister falls off. I'm including a photo of the utility belt in its current state.

Can anyone suggest some ideas on how to attach the canister solidly to the belt? I thought of trying to fashion some type of clip, so that the clip or clamp (with more surface area) glues to the belt, then holds the canister in place, but I have no idea how I would make something like that, or what materials available here would work.

I appreciate any thoughts. And I'm very happy to join the group here (lifelong Batman 1966 fan - in fact I spend a lot of time watching a 24/7 Batman channel).
SprangFan

Re: First post - could use utility belt advice

Post by SprangFan »

I don't know that I have any ideas to help you, but I wanted to say your belt looks terrific and it's always wonderful to see the kind of creativity that goes into a DIY costume.

I wonder, do you actually want to be able to remove the canister and shoot out a spray? A Google search for "belt clip" shows numerous options you could attach to the canister to slide it onto the belt like a phone or walkie talkie, but they'd all involve drilling into the can, which is obviously not a good idea if there's pressurized substances inside. If the "canister" is just another, fatter dowel, it could work.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Actually, why not more velcro? Isn't that how they did it on the show?
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Macnmotion

Post by Macnmotion »

SprangFan wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:14 am I wonder, do you actually want to be able to remove the canister and shoot out a spray?
Haha, this is a can of deoderant painted and labeled. However, I'm sure some of the people at the Halloween party, including myself who will be wearing the long johns, could benefit from a spray during the evening.

So no way to drill through the canister (at least safely).
Macnmotion

Post by Macnmotion »

SprangFan wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:16 am Actually, why not more velcro? Isn't that how they did it on the show?
Thanks for the reply.

The velcro I used was non-self-stick, so I cut a strip of velcro and used hot glue on both sides to glue the velcro to the canister and to the belt. Maybe the hot glue/velcro combination isn't strong enough. I'll look to see if I can find self sticking velcro which would probably have a stronger bond. My experience in this heat and humidity with self sticking velcro is that it tends to lose its adhesion. But I'd only have to make it through one evening, so it might work.

Thanks again.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Yes, but what if someone shows up in a shark costume? ;)

I guess what I mean is, does the can need to work as a "prop" in itself and be removable from the belt, or would you be okay with leaving it permanently attached?
"Or worse. Let's go..."
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Maybe you could create a holder from nylon webbing like this example. It can loop over the belt if you want to remove it, and you can remove the can if you need to freshen up (or fight off sharks).
Attachments
Flashlight holder.png
Strap holder.png
Strap holder.png (136.32 KiB) Viewed 9249 times
Macnmotion

Post by Macnmotion »

SprangFan wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:05 am Yes, but what if someone shows up in a shark costume? ;)

I guess what I mean is, does the can need to work as a "prop" in itself and be removable from the belt, or would you be okay with leaving it permanently attached?
Haha. I'm not planning to use the canister as a prop. It's meant to be permanently fixed to the belt.
Macnmotion

Post by Macnmotion »

DrewMasie wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:01 pm Maybe you could create a holder from nylon webbing like this example. It can loop over the belt if you want to remove it, and you can remove the can if you need to freshen up (or fight off sharks).
That's an interesting idea. The only downside is blocking the label that says Shark Repellent. But possibly with proper positioning. Thanks!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

If you can get a hold of a neo-dymium magnet (thin rectangle shape) you can attach it to your belt and the Repellent can, if it's metal will do what metal does around magnets!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

What if you used a money clip like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Profes ... 68&sr=8-29

...and wrapped duct tape around it to attach it to the canister? If even just a half inch or so of tape extended past each side of the clip, another thin, vertical strip across those and running vertically down the can could stabilize it and keep it from falling off, maybe?

They do make magnets in strips with adhesive on one side:

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Magneti ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

Maybe if you cut a piece the length of the clip, that would add some strength to the "grip," with the duct tape stabilizing things to keep the orientation vertical.

Anyway that's where I was going: I think it'd keep the can on, but it with the can removed, the "trick" is revealed. One advantage would be that you could slide it on and off after the belt's on your waist. Otherwise the added weight on one side of the belt could make getting dressed a challenge.
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Macnmotion

Post by Macnmotion »

SprangFan wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:41 am
Anyway that's where I was going: I think it'd keep the can on, but it with the can removed, the "trick" is revealed. One advantage would be that you could slide it on and off after the belt's on your waist. Otherwise the added weight on one side of the belt could make getting dressed a challenge.
Thank you for the ideas. I'm looking into magnets. You're right about the weight making it awkward to put the belt on - easier with a second person there to help.

My mother in law has been sewing a cape for me. I saw a photo of it today, now she's shipping it to me from Southern Thailand. Looks nice.

All of this is really fun, but I see an authentic costume in my future :-)
Macnmotion

Post by Macnmotion »

I don't know what the aerosol can is made out of but it's not magnetic. So strong magnets are out.
dell

Post by dell »

An empty can would be easier to work with as it would be considerably lighter. Is the can you are using full or empty?
dell
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Macnmotion wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:29 am I don't know what the aerosol can is made out of but it's not magnetic. So strong magnets are out.
Perhaps find a metal can & do over? Otherwise, I'd recommend emptying the can and then use Velcro but beware where you've placed it, as it might be a problem when you go to sit. It may hit your thigh and/or your stomach & loosen.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66