Cowl history

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Chuck Williams

Cowl history

Post by Chuck Williams »

Hi All,

I was laying in bed last night pondering a few details of the screen used cowls (what? doesn't everybody obsess over cowls?) , and I think I may have stumbled onto something interesting and I wanted to share it with the die hard batfans here...

The cowls got recovered as needed when the fabric faded or damaged so I have been trying to track the particular shells by eye shape and size and trimming shape.

Having seen a few now and knowing how the foam padding was in the first season versus the hard hat rig used later, I remembered seeing a tiny bit of rotten foam (see photo) on the inside of the Hardeman cowl and the marking ..am 2 which I assumed was Adam 2.
It got me thinking what if the shell was made much earlier than I assumed and it really was the second for Adam!!!???

This morning after checking the trimming and eye size which is larger than the pink cowl by quite a bit and the thickness of the areas below the eyes, I think the cowl Adam is wearing in "Fine Feathered Finks" may be the shell for the Hardeman cowl! It is the second cowl we see him in and the first without the unique pilot look and V shape front.
The center fabric piece is flopped so don't let the way the light is reflecting distract you and of course it's sitting on his head differently due to the hard hat rig installed later.

I welcome second opinions and know the eagle eyes here will help confirm or deny the hypothesis.
I'm looking now for where it shows up in season 2!

If true, it also explains why there are so few real cowls out there if they just recycled the 6 or so made for the first season Mr. Freeze episode...
Attachments
P9210165 (3).JPG
P9210190 (3).JPG
Untitled-1.jpg
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Ben Bentley

Re: Cowl history

Post by Ben Bentley »

Like you said if someone can look beyond the hard-hat rig and the shadows that the S3 "fit" creates and we simply focus on lines and shapes ...Between the sloping shape on top, the kick of the sideburns and then those very distinctive eyehole shapes...I really do think you've got it!
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Thanks Ben!
The eyes are larger than the others and the area under the eyes is narrower than others by quite a bit which made it easier to spot.
It's amazing how much the flopped fabric grain of the center section changes the appearance.

Compared to the first season cowls , S3 cowls are perched on his head and rotated forward.

I'm shooting some images of the shell with the hard hat rig inside and the look of the cowl is completely different when it rides so high and rotated forward...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Chuck Williams wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:22 am Hi All,

I was laying in bed last night pondering a few details of the screen used cowls (what? doesn't everybody obsess over cowls?) , and I think I may have stumbled onto something interesting and I wanted to share it with the die hard batfans here...

The cowls got recovered as needed when the fabric faded or damaged so I have been trying to track the particular shells by eye shape and size and trimming shape.

Having seen a few now and knowing how the foam padding was in the first season versus the hard hat rig used later, I remembered seeing a tiny bit of rotten foam (see photo) on the inside of the Hardeman cowl and the marking ..am 2 which I assumed was Adam 2.
It got me thinking what if the shell was made much earlier than I assumed and it really was the second for Adam!!!???

This morning after checking the trimming and eye size which is larger than the pink cowl by quite a bit and the thickness of the areas below the eyes, I think the cowl Adam is wearing in "Fine Feathered Finks" may be the shell for the Hardeman cowl! It is the second cowl we see him in and the first without the unique pilot look and V shape front.
The center fabric piece is flopped so don't let the way the light is reflecting distract you and of course it's sitting on his head differently due to the hard hat rig installed later.

I welcome second opinions and know the eagle eyes here will help confirm or deny the hypothesis.
I'm looking now for where it shows up in season 2!

If true, it also explains why there are so few real cowls out there if they just recycled the 6 or so made for the first season Mr. Freeze episode...
Looks like Batman fell asleep in the cowl in the lower right. LOL
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!