Batcowl advice

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
BATPRESLEY

Re: Batcowl advice

Post by BATPRESLEY »

Thank you everyone for interest and support, I will be posting concept art and mini comic strip i have done for costume once I have the costume under way:)
BATPRESLEY

Post by BATPRESLEY »

Hello Everyone! I hope you all are doing well. I am sorry for the late post but here is what I decided to go with for my final 1940's batman/ 1950's design for my costume I still am planning on redoing the cowl as an adam west shell but for now I'll stick with the 1940's serial design. I will also be making a belt built from a ww2 utility belt so it is a more realistic look for the 1940's serial approach and then when I have the 1966 batman cowl style ill switch the belt back to this one:) costume drawing and comic to come real soon along with a real photoshoot at the BAT'S CAVE! :)
Attachments
IMG_8916_1.jpg
IMG_8916.jpg
IMG_8918.jpg
IMG_8925.jpg
IMG_8926.jpg
IMG_8928.jpg
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

wow, well done, chum. That project turned out quite nice! Congratulations On the win at Wimbledon! ;)
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
BATPRESLEY

Post by BATPRESLEY »

Lou Szabo wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:04 pm wow, well done, chum. That project turned out quite nice! Congratulations On the win at Wimbledon! ;)
Thank you very much, :) what do you mean congratulations at Wimbledon? lol
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Fantastic work BATPRESLEY!!!
WELL DONE!
Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Very neat! Congrats!
BATPRESLEY

Post by BATPRESLEY »

Chuck Williams wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:32 pm Fantastic work BATPRESLEY!!!
WELL DONE!
Chuck...
Thank you very much!!!
BATPRESLEY

Post by BATPRESLEY »

Ben Bentley wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:38 pm Very neat! Congrats!
Thank you very much!
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Great job!
BATPRESLEY

Post by BATPRESLEY »

Jimmy L. 66 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:56 pm Great job!
Thank you!
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

This turned out really good. Nice job!
Bat-fan01

Post by Bat-fan01 »

floatinjoe wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:41 pm I have used the patterns to make a cowl. I will preface with the fact that the cowl was for my son. He was probably about 3 at the time, maybe a bit older. I reduced the cowl pattern, and then assembled it over an eva foam shell that I made. I'd say, all in all, it came out okay. I've always been tempted to try it again, but honestly I don't have the need to do it. It's possible that I'll make a new cowl for him down the road (he's already outgrown it). I have my WS2 cowl, so I won't need to make one for myself.

Here's the thread I had about making it. The finished pictures are on the second page.
Child/Toddler Cowl

Here's a thread with his first convention cosplay outing. He had a blast walking around as Batman.
Fairfax Comic Con and first outing
Just one question...how did you reduced the cowl pattern? I have done this many times, and I am sure that I was wrong the whole time. I reduced it and when I copied the modificated pattern to see it works, it was way bigger than my shell. So I knew that it was wrong. How have you made it?
Thanks

Bat-fan01
To The Batcave, Batfans! :D https://youtu.be/QMXiXQ8uRoo
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

Bat-fan01 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:20 pm
Just one question...how did you reduced the cowl pattern? I have done this many times, and I am sure that I was wrong the whole time. I reduced it and when I copied the modificated pattern to see it works, it was way bigger than my shell. So I knew that it was wrong. How have you made it?
Thanks

Bat-fan01
I used a reduce function on the copy machine, but it is trial and error. I wound up having to make two cowls because the first one was way too small. As a note, I didn't have a shell that I was trying to cover. I made the fabric cover, and then fashioned a shell out of eva foam to fit inside of it. It had the correct basic shape, but it didn't look spot on.

Mike
Bat-fan01

Post by Bat-fan01 »

floatinjoe wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:34 am
Bat-fan01 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:20 pm
Thanks

Bat-fan01
I used a reduce function on the copy machine, but it is trial and error. I wound up having to make two cowls because the first one was way too small. As a note, I didn't have a shell that I was trying to cover. I made the fabric cover, and then fashioned a shell out of eva foam to fit inside of it. It had the correct basic shape, but it didn't look spot on.

Mike

Holy idea! I should have tried out when I changed the size of my cowl pattern. What i have done was different. I will keep that idea somewhere next time I do another cowl.
Thank you kindly!
To The Batcave, Batfans! :D https://youtu.be/QMXiXQ8uRoo
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

BATPRESLEY wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:50 am Hello Everyone! I hope you all are doing well. I am sorry for the late post but here is what I decided to go with for my final 1940's batman/ 1950's design for my costume I still am planning on redoing the cowl as an adam west shell but for now I'll stick with the 1940's serial design. I will also be making a belt built from a ww2 utility belt so it is a more realistic look for the 1940's serial approach and then when I have the 1966 batman cowl style ill switch the belt back to this one:) costume drawing and comic to come real soon along with a real photoshoot at the BAT'S CAVE! :)
VERY well done, Bat Presley! Your cowl actually looks BETTER than it appeared in the 43 and 49 serial! One small item though as regards the 43 belt. It was NOT a WW2 cartridge belt. It was custom made. Finding the right material for it is what is holding my 43 serial belt up.
Larry