Batgirl Belt Help

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rsaffle

Re: Batgirl Belt Help

Post by rsaffle »

Lou Szabo wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:54 am This I’ll be a fun build. I plant to use the plans above and in some older threads for the pouches and pouch attachments.
I'm probably right behind you. Do you plan on getting the Williams buckle??
I wonder if the original belt was stretchy or not? It seems to hang off her hips.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

rsaffle wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:15 pm
I wonder if the original belt was stretchy or not? It seems to hang off her hips.
Yes, it was stretchy as these original stock fish scale belts were. Hooks were used on the suit and belt to hold the belt in place on her hips. Same was done for Catwoman.
Note: I could be wrong but I don't think Williams Studio 2 currently offers Batgirl stuff. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

rsaffle wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:15 pm
Lou Szabo wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:54 am This I’ll be a fun build. I plant to use the plans above and in some older threads for the pouches and pouch attachments.
Chuck made a few buckles for a customer’s costume. He know I collect buckles, so I was able to purchase one, and it’s spectacular! Look for his thread in the crafts section from some 4 to 6 years ago.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

You might check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5744

I made a Batgirl belt for my daughter, and the fishscale belt I used is the same one shown in this thread. I believe I purchased it via an online vintage clothing store, but they are still available on eBay and Etsy. The thread referenced above also has drawings of the pouches and buckle design, although I had mine made from acrylic instead of metal. The real buckle appears to have a slight curve to it and in many pictures the belt itself is worn more around her hips than her waist.

Also, is it true that Chuck offers a Batgirl buckle? I've purchased a lot of their products, but I haven't seen any Batgirl products and I check out their store pretty often. I know they offered a Batgirl cape at one point, but haven't seen it in their shop. I just noticed that they are now offering a "Wonder Boy" belt which looks sweet.

Here's how it turned out. I've been touched-up a bit to make the cowl look like it actually fits me and to improve how I look, but my daughter hasn't. You can see the sparkle of the gold fishscale belt and the pouches I made.
Drew and Katie as Batman and Batgirl Med.jpg
Drew and Katie as Batman and Batgirl Med.jpg (57.35 KiB) Viewed 16955 times
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

One more option is to do a 3-D print of the buckle. I found a design on Thingiverse.com for parts for the cowl and utility belt: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3116867
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

DrewMasie wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:40 pm One more option is to do a 3-D print of the buckle. I found a design on Thingiverse.com for parts for the cowl and utility belt: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3116867
I appreciate the help Drew. You and your daughters costumes are outstanding! I didn't see your post when I searched the 1st time. Thanks for sharing.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Hey Guys!
Sorry for being M.I.A. !
I added the Batgirl buckle back in the shop.
It's made just like the real piece .
When I saw the original buckle with my own eyes at the Azarian auction, it was almost a let down since they looked exactly alike!
These are made with custom cut brass parts and the same unique construction.
Chuck
Attachments
WS@BGbelt3.jpg
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

To add to Chuck's message, the belt I bought has the same connection points to it's current buckle, which means Chuck's Batgirl buckle is a Drop In replacement. As soon as I find the box it is in, I'll post a pick. Next step (after finding the buckle) is to add the boxes.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Here is what the back looks like...
It used the original buckle from the belt soldered to the back of the "Bat buckle" as the attachment.
Attachments
DSC_0011 (3).JPG
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Got a few steps further
CFDE4148-1076-4354-BD4A-A5BEEB975111.jpeg
1E9F57B2-71E8-4727-A1BA-CC7722D26283.jpeg
7AB43E74-FAD9-4DEA-8BD0-85324889517E.jpeg
5609ED0C-0083-46B7-BFDE-37D8FA3CFFEB.jpeg
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

8E8D058E-5253-4864-840B-4F0E27E2129B.jpeg
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Looks great! What are you planning for the pouches?
Meule

Post by Meule »

Nicely displayed, Lou
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Thanks guys.
I posted the pictures so you can see if you buy the correct “scale” belt, the attachment for the buckle is already there and correct, as you can see in the pictures. If buying on line ask for a picture of the back side of the belt. Mine was under $10.
The next step is to determine which side of the buckle attaches to the belt. My resident expert said the left side, she thinks.... :lol:
The next step for authenticity is to determine the direction of the scales, left to right or right to left. I forgot to check, so I need to check that.

Finally, the two pouches, these may be wood or foam. I found this website that provides some instructions on how to paint and cut and attach them.
https://www.thefoamcave.com/
I saw a template for vinyl/leather cover pattern somewhere. When I do it, I’ll post a picture or pdf with patterns. I want to keep it light as the belt is stretchy..

And Chuck’s buckle is Spectacular and built like the original. If you can afford it, the 1% of true fans will appreciate it.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Some cool stuff in these two links

Designs for pouches

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5744