Bat-Hook Prop

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rsaffle

Bat-Hook Prop

Post by rsaffle »

Another one of those wonderful gadgets Batman pulls from his Utility Belt.
The Bat-Hook! 3D designed & printed. As seen in the premier episode. Robin would have been fine dropping the heavy metal window bars from several stories up but Batman knew better and is prepared for everything.

"Hi Diddle Riddle"
Batman: Season 1, Episode 1
Attachments
HOOK A.jpg
HOOK D.jpg
HOOK B.jpg
HOOK.jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Meule

Re: Bat-Hook Prop

Post by Meule »

Such a simple design, but bang on. I always thought the hook was black, but I can indeed see a blue shine on the original.
Did you print that Batarang as well?
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Holy Pedestrian Safety! You're really storming through these projects! How did you scale this prop out of interest? Am I right in thinking that's the Mattel belt and Batarang?
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Ben Bentley wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:55 am Holy Pedestrian Safety! You're really storming through these projects! How did you scale this prop out of interest? Am I right in thinking that's the Mattel belt and Batarang?
Ben I looked at the video source and compare Adams hands to the prop and print out the image on paper full size or sketch it on paper and then measure it to see if it looks correct. Just comes down to a guess. Most of the props are being held and that is always my way to compare them and then put them at the closest inch or inch and half scale for uniformity.

Yes that is the Mattel belt and Batarang.

I have considered slowing down just because I'm worried I'm flooding the message board with these too much. I'm working from home during these Covid times and the printer is sitting right there calling my name and I'm getting faster and faster with the designs. I'm about to switch gears though and I'm teaching myself 3D sculpting with hopes to start creating custom action figures. I would love to create the packaging and stuff.

I plan on doing some custom Hornet and Batman 3 3/4" figures in the vein of the Funko line. I would love to hear ideas on who I should try and create?

My brother just bought all the gear to be able to make full color Tshirts and mugs and stuff. So I will have tons of custom Batman stuff to create with those new toys too. I have so many ideas already.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Meule wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:59 pm Such a simple design, but bang on. I always thought the hook was black, but I can indeed see a blue shine on the original.
Did you print that Batarang as well?
Yeah i debated on the color too but mine are actually a very dark blue with lighter blue accents but the photos make it look lighter and it was more fun to paint it a little worn looking to me. Batarang is the little Mattel one.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Dark blues seems to appear black sometimes - the Bat Gauge is another one that was dark blue. Great job on the prop - did you put a suction cup on it?
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Batfanman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:59 pm Dark blues seems to appear black sometimes - the Bat Gauge is another one that was dark blue. Great job on the prop - did you put a suction cup on it?
Thanks! I bought a suction cup to make one that way but this one is all printed.
BTW I've got a Bat-Gauge coming soon and it looks cool already.
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

rsaffle wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:25 am I have considered slowing down just because I'm worried I'm flooding the message board with these too much. I'm working from home during these Covid times and the printer is sitting right there calling my name and I'm getting faster and faster with the designs. I'm about to switch gears though and I'm teaching myself 3D sculpting with hopes to start creating custom action figures. I would love to create the packaging and stuff.

I plan on doing some custom Hornet and Batman 3 3/4" figures in the vein of the Funko line. I would love to hear ideas on who I should try and create?
I don't think it's possible to have too many quality Bat-Props anywhere, let alone on this board!

More 3.75" figures would be especially tantalizing... Green Hornet and Kato are the first that came to mind. There are a lot of villains that were not produced by either Funko or (soon to be) Mezco, but #1 on my list is Riddler in his tights. The suit-and-bowler Riddler that Mezco is about to release is very cool, but perhaps weakest looking in their line. It's too bad NJ Croce couldn't turn their bendies into action figures, because their likenesses, even in that soft robber, are superior to anyone outside of Hot Toys.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

rsaffle wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:38 pm
Batfanman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:59 pm Dark blues seems to appear black sometimes - the Bat Gauge is another one that was dark blue. Great job on the prop - did you put a suction cup on it?
Thanks! I bought a suction cup to make one that way but this one is all printed.
BTW I've got a Bat-Gauge coming soon and it looks cool already.
Cool! How about a flat neo-dymium magnet for metal surfaces? You could always also put a suction cup atop the magnet for other surfaces.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

More 3.75" figures would be especially tantalizing... Green Hornet and Kato are the first that came to mind. There are a lot of villains that were not produced by either Funko or (soon to be) Mezco, but #1 on my list is Riddler in his tights.
[/quote]

Thanks. Yeah Hornet and Kato may be 1st for me. I will see how they go. Its probably not realistic to think I can match the look of a Funko on my 1st attempts but we will see. Love the Riddler idea too. Im leaning towards a non articulated figure that would be more of remain on the card type. It will be fun to attempt it.