Mr Freeze rifle prop question

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rsaffle

Mr Freeze rifle prop question

Post by rsaffle »

I'm planning on making a Mr Freeze rifle and I was wondering if anyone can answer this question. The clear discs on the barrel have a orange goldish tint on the edges. I don't know how this was achieved. I asked a friend with a prop replica if it was a gold tape or painted and he says it looks like part of the acrylic. I work in the sign industry and I am not familiar with a product like these and It had to be something around in the 60s too.

My best guess is they tinted the edges that way? Maybe stain glass paint?

Anybody else made one of these or bought one? The photo is my friends prop.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210428-141444_Instagram_compress95.jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Jim Akin

Re: Mr Freeze rifle prop question

Post by Jim Akin »

I'm excited that you're making a freeze gun. It's probably my favorite bat-prop.

I wish I had an explanation about the orange-y tint on those acrylic discs; I've wondered about it but have no idea what causes it. Your inquiry did bring to mind a long-buried memory, however, that (I promise) leads up to a potentially relevant suggestion:

Back in the mid-1990s, I was a computer-magazine editor. CDs were the dominant musical media, and their lookalike cousins, CD-ROMs, were the chief delivery vehicles for software, including a host of interactive books, documentaries and other digital diversions. The Web rendered it all obsolete within a few short years, but for a while there was a huge ecosystem of CD-ROM-related products. A lesser one of those was a felt-tip marker that purported to improve (or maybe preserve?) the quality of CD media. The notion was that you'd trace the marker around the outside edge of a disc, and it would provide a filtering effect that kept the CD reader's laser beam from scattering and mucking up the signal.

Anyone who knew how CD readers worked knew this was nonsense, but users (including fellow editors who'd been sent miracle pens to sample) swore the ink improved sound and image quality. We dutifully tested it out, on the odd chance it worked, albeit for reasons other than those the makers claimed. It didn't. (The placebo effect is truly remarkable.) But what the marker did do was give CD-ROMs a greenish halo effect when you held them up to the light.

IMHO, the copper tape in the photo is overkill; the orange cast on the freeze-gun discs isn't opaque like the tape, it's transparent. You might be able to duplicate it by running an orange highlighter or Sharpie around the edge of laser-cut discs.

Good luck!
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

I attended the Batman exhibit at the Hollywood Museum a couple of years ago. Here is a picture of the Freeze costume they had on display. Hope this helps.
Attachments
Freeze-Hollywood.jpg
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I'm going to reach out to our pal Troy who I believe made the one shown above in the Hollywood Museum photo...
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Ben Bentley wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:26 am I'm going to reach out to our pal Troy who I believe made the one shown above in the Hollywood Museum photo...
Actually, I think it was our buddy, Malachi.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Correct. My costume, but Malachi's gun!
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

I found a Krylon paint that might be worth a try. Semi-transparent orange.

There's also one called Tamiya PS-43 Polycarbonate Spray Translucent Orange Paint 3oz TAM86043 which might be more appropriate for plastic.
Attachments
Stained Glass Orange.png
Stained Glass Orange.png (163.6 KiB) Viewed 3695 times
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

DrewMasie wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:23 pm I found a Krylon paint that might be worth a try. Semi-transparent orange.

There's also one called Tamiya PS-43 Polycarbonate Spray Translucent Orange Paint 3oz TAM86043 which might be more appropriate for plastic.
Thank you all for the help. That is probably the answer Drew! I want to knock this prop out of the park because it will be one of my holy grails. Thanks Bat fans!
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/