My Batman cowl shell

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Bat-fan01

My Batman cowl shell

Post by Bat-fan01 »

Hello guys!

I made my own cowl shell, but with Papier Mâché.
I am half satisfied, because I am not fished yet, I didn’t bought the inside foam yet and it’s too flexible.
The things on the side are too moving and the lower in the eyes holes, it’s moving. The nose is not staying because of this.
It’s not harder of what I wanted to make.
I want your comments about the shell and suggestion to make it harder on the sides and on the lower section of the eyes holes.

Thank you very much!

Bat-fan01
Attachments
57FB9142-DF50-4CFA-8F58-96920A17FFCA.jpeg
DFF3647F-9A51-46E1-A724-4EBF3AA28DF7.jpeg
E655BBC7-30A4-4354-912A-EAFE1B46805B.jpeg
To The Batcave, Batfans! :D https://youtu.be/QMXiXQ8uRoo
Meule

Re: My Batman cowl shell

Post by Meule »

Looks pretty good, IMO.
I've done a lot of papier mâché and it hardens when it dries out. If it's still too flexible add more layers of paper, that should help.
It will always have some flexibility, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I mean, this is not meant to stop bullets, is it ;)
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Bat-fan01

Post by Bat-fan01 »

Well, I don’t have enough mod podge, when stores are gonna open I am gonna buy and see if it works.
No it isn’t for stoping bullets :lol:
Another thing that I was unsatisfied was the back of the shell, I used cardboard to make it harder.
The problem is it’s to squared because of this. I put one layer to make it round. It was OK, but not round like I expected.
Whenever the stores open, I am gonna try if it works.

Thank you for the tip! I’m glad that you like my shell.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Bat-fan01 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:20 pm Well, I don’t have enough mod podge, when stores are gonna open I am gonna buy and see if it works.
You could try a little 3M Scotchcast Plus Fiberglass Casting Tape or Plaster Cloth Gauze to strengthen it. They use both for casts and its inexpensive.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I’m surprised to hear stores aren’t open for you, everything is open here. You can get modge podge on Amazon. I built a pink and a purple cowl out of duct tape for an exhibit years ago and using that really became sturdy as I added layer after layer on both sides. Came out nice and smooth. I’ve also worked with modge in the past and you can inflate a balloon to your head size and build it up that way. Then pop th balloon when it’s dry.

I think what you have is great, I’d just keep working up more layers for strength.
Bat-fan01

Post by Bat-fan01 »

rsaffle wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:44 pm
Bat-fan01 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:20 pm Well, I don’t have enough mod podge, when stores are gonna open I am gonna buy and see if it works.
You could try a little 3M Scotchcast Plus Fiberglass Casting Tape or Plaster Cloth Gauze to strengthen it. They use both for casts and its inexpensive.
This is a excellent idea. I think it can work well.
Thank you very much for the tips!
Bat-fan01

Post by Bat-fan01 »

AndyFish wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:34 am I’m surprised to hear stores aren’t open for you, everything is open here. You can get modge podge on Amazon. I built a pink and a purple cowl out of duct tape for an exhibit years ago and using that really became sturdy as I added layer after layer on both sides. Came out nice and smooth. I’ve also worked with modge in the past and you can inflate a balloon to your head size and build it up that way. Then pop th balloon when it’s dry.

I think what you have is great, I’d just keep working up more layers for strength.
Indeed more layers would be needed. Where I live stores are closed and Amazon would be a great option, but for some reasons I can’t order it and I can’t achieve the Batman cosplay project for now, but whenever I can, I will buy more mod podge to add more layers.
This is a great idea. Thanks for the tip! :D