Robin trunk material?

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
yodakiller

Robin trunk material?

Post by yodakiller »

Was considering doing a Robin costume after I finish Batman. Does anyone know where I can get the material that was used on the trunks? Or is that another RARE impossible to find material like the stuff used on Batman's costume.
Chuck Williams

Re: Robin trunk material?

Post by Chuck Williams »

Of course it is!!!! :cry:

The dyeable version that is.

The fabric is called springweave and the old dyeable version made with cotton is like finding gold.
It disappeared about 4 years ago.

Don't be fooled by the easily available modern versions that look almost the same but are polyester or acrylic and not dyeable.

Best bets are older local fabric stores. I can tell you for sure that the larger shops and any online shop that shows in the first 1000 pages of a Google search won't have it.

Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Lewis Tully

Post by Lewis Tully »

Holy Impossible Google Search, Batman! :)
yodakiller

Post by yodakiller »

I did find the acrylic version of the fabric. According to a few articles I've read it might be possible to dye acrylic fabric using a chemical dye raither than dyes such as RIT. I'm going to do a little more research on this as a viable option and see what I come up with.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Polyester or acrylic can be dyed but not easily at home.
I should have been more clear.

Some dyehouses in the US will say they can dye the fibers but will only use products similar to idyepoly and deliver a pastel shade at best.

To really dye the fabric properly takes some nasty chemicals that the smaller dyehouses won't touch.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Chuck...

Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Lewis Tully wrote:Holy Impossible Google Search, Batman! :)
Artistic licence.
I only meant to imply I've been down this road before and to POSSIBLY save someone hours of searching. ;)

Lewis Tully

Post by Lewis Tully »

(I have been dying to use the "Holy ___________, Batman!" line since I joined the board. This was the first pseudo-clever [I'm not that clever, let's face it] opportunity I had. Not trying to be a Smart-Bat at all.) :)
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

No worries!!!

chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

I have a possible solution, way out of left field: I had to match the color of some windlacing (the part that looks like cloth wrapped around a piece of rope) for a car I was working on. I ended up using vinyl dye for auto upholstery in a spray can. It left the material still flexible if somewhat stiffer; might be worth experimenting with if you can find a color match.
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
TheGirlWonder

Post by TheGirlWonder »

I know I'm bumping a very old thread, but I just found this:

http://www.afc-fabrics.com/page112.html

I wonder if the Kelly Green would be passable for a Robin costume...or is it too bright? I requested a sample of it.
yodakiller

Post by yodakiller »

Only problem is you have to buy 15 yards. The green looks pretty good. Wonder if the white could be dyed if sent somewhere? That is the acrylic fabric I found and mentioned earlier in this thread.
If it was possible to get this dyed the correct color maybe we could do a group run for those interested.
TheGirlWonder

Post by TheGirlWonder »

A 30 yard minimum actually, at $9.55 per yard, since it is a special order color (I heard back from the company regarding my sample request this morning). I'm interested if we get a group order going, I'd probably take a couple extra yards just to have it on reserve.
yodakiller

Post by yodakiller »

They must have raised the minimum. I looked at the site and it still had 15 yards listed. I asked for a sample so if I get one I'll compare it to the sample card that I have with the Hardeman patterns and see how close the color is.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

The acrylic is not dyeable.
I asked the owner of the dyehouse I use about it and it's the one thing they won't touch.

yodakiller

Post by yodakiller »

Just got an email from them , so I'll be getting a sample of the Kelly Green. I'll let you know about the color match as soon as I get it.