Model Kit Help Needed

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Jim Beard

Model Kit Help Needed

Post by Jim Beard »

For the past year or so I've been doing jigsaw puzzles (and a few Lego sets) to stop myself from falling asleep on the couch while wtaching TV in the evenings. Now I'd like to try my hand at a model kit, specifically the Moebius Batman '66 model.

Bat-Model.jpg
Bat-Model.jpg (32.64 KiB) Viewed 5504 times

Now, it's been a long, long time since I've built a plastic model kit, but in grade school they were my passion. I was always unhappy with the sloppy paint jobs I gave them, so this time around i want to try to do it right.

Please help me by giving me your recommendations for these things on this particular kit:

Brand and type of glue

Brand and type of paint

Specific colors of paint

Brand and type of brushes

And anything else you can think of. Again, I'm not an expert on any of this, so I want to get expert advice.

Thanks,

Jim
My Fiction and Non-Fiction Books: www.amazon.com/Jim-Beard/e/B004UWVOPE
dell

Re: Model Kit Help Needed

Post by dell »

Glue: I have always preferred the plastic glue in tubes (Testors), but liquid brush on glue works well too. It really depends on which one can you apply without making a mess. The liquids I have used are like water and you apply with a brush. I find they run more than I like.

Paint: I always thought Testors regular paints to be thick and difficult to brush on easily. I still do military models on occasion, but Testors announced that they were discontinuing their Model Master paints which I thought were superior to their standard paints. I suggest you go to a store that sells models and look to see what is available and if they have the colors you need. Another option would be to look at craft paints which are sold at Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby. A lot cheaper and a huge selection of colors. I would seal them after the model cures completely as they are water based paints and not as tough as enamels like Testors.

Specific colors of paint: No idea, but the craft paints come in large enough bottles that you could experiment with mixing your own using colors that are close.

Brushes: Again, Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby would be a good place to look. Get sable as they are good for detail and easier to use than synthetics. If this is a one time model build then I would get a variety pack with mostly detail brushes. Probably $% or $6 for a cheapo set. I wouldn't invest a lot in brushes as even the cheap ones will last for a model or two.
dell
Jim Beard

Post by Jim Beard »

dell wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:31 pm Glue: I have always preferred the plastic glue in tubes (Testors), but liquid brush on glue works well too. It really depends on which one can you apply without making a mess. The liquids I have used are like water and you apply with a brush. I find they run more than I like.

Paint: I always thought Testors regular paints to be thick and difficult to brush on easily. I still do military models on occasion, but Testors announced that they were discontinuing their Model Master paints which I thought were superior to their standard paints. I suggest you go to a store that sells models and look to see what is available and if they have the colors you need. Another option would be to look at craft paints which are sold at Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby. A lot cheaper and a huge selection of colors. I would seal them after the model cures completely as they are water based paints and not as tough as enamels like Testors.

Specific colors of paint: No idea, but the craft paints come in large enough bottles that you could experiment with mixing your own using colors that are close.

Brushes: Again, Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby would be a good place to look. Get sable as they are good for detail and easier to use than synthetics. If this is a one time model build then I would get a variety pack with mostly detail brushes. Probably $% or $6 for a cheapo set. I wouldn't invest a lot in brushes as even the cheap ones will last for a model or two.
Very appreciated!

Jim
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Hey Jim
I take all of the kit pieces and I spray them with a base coat. Lay them all out in a well ventilated area, then apply a light coat several times over letting each coat dry before the next, now you have something for the paint to stick to. Sometimes I'll paint the unassembled areas first, like the area under Batman's utility belt.
For paint, I use acrylic which is easy to mix color wise and it's cheap. I've even used neon gauche that I've picked up in Japan and both work well with the under coat. I've used an airbrush in the past but that adds a lot of steps that I can get with a good brush. Speaking of brushes I like Loew Cornell #2 brush for fine details and I use a broader #6 for larger areas.

Glue I'm with Dell, use as little as possible so you're not making a giant mess.
Once it's all put together I spray it with a workable fixative to give the finished work a sheen and protect the paint.

During the pandemic I got a few done including the Aurora Spider-Man (and all those pesky webs) and the gigantic Frankenstein, which I had sitting around forever. I've still got a few more to get done but work has started up again.
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

Have thought about taking on this model kit myself but have not pulled the trigger. Probably worth your while watching Doctor Faust's series of putting together and painting the models for the '66 line. I found them entertaining and informative.

BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast
Jim Beard

Post by Jim Beard »

AndyFish wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:20 pm Hey Jim
I take all of the kit pieces and I spray them with a base coat. Lay them all out in a well ventilated area, then apply a light coat several times over letting each coat dry before the next, now you have something for the paint to stick to. Sometimes I'll paint the unassembled areas first, like the area under Batman's utility belt.
For paint, I use acrylic which is easy to mix color wise and it's cheap. I've even used neon gauche that I've picked up in Japan and both work well with the under coat. I've used an airbrush in the past but that adds a lot of steps that I can get with a good brush. Speaking of brushes I like Loew Cornell #2 brush for fine details and I use a broader #6 for larger areas.

Glue I'm with Dell, use as little as possible so you're not making a giant mess.
Once it's all put together I spray it with a workable fixative to give the finished work a sheen and protect the paint.

During the pandemic I got a few done including the Aurora Spider-Man (and all those pesky webs) and the gigantic Frankenstein, which I had sitting around forever. I've still got a few more to get done but work has started up again.
This is fantastic, Andy. Huge thanks.

Jim
Jim Beard

Post by Jim Beard »

BAT 77 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:22 pm Have thought about taking on this model kit myself but have not pulled the trigger. Probably worth your while watching Doctor Faust's series of putting together and painting the models for the '66 line. I found them entertaining and informative.

Cool! I will watch! Are his videos for experienced modelers, or does he include neophytes like myself?

Jim
hisyouthfulward

Post by hisyouthfulward »

Jim, you might also want to wash the pieces in a gentle soapy wash to eliminate any mold release that might still be on the plastic pieces. Your paint will go on in a smoother coat. Also, I prefer acrylic paint as you can thin it with water to make it easier to brush onto the model. Take a quick look at any tutorial videos if you want to incorporate either washes or dry brushes to bring out the details, like folds in the costume or craggy ridges in the rock base to elevate the realism of your paint job. Good luck!
Jim Beard

Post by Jim Beard »

hisyouthfulward wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:55 pm Jim, you might also want to wash the pieces in a gentle soapy wash to eliminate any mold release that might still be on the plastic pieces. Your paint will go on in a smoother coat. Also, I prefer acrylic paint as you can thin it with water to make it easier to brush onto the model. Take a quick look at any tutorial videos if you want to incorporate either washes or dry brushes to bring out the details, like folds in the costume or craggy ridges in the rock base to elevate the realism of your paint job. Good luck!
Thanks! Seems like acrylic is a favorite of a lot of modelers. I used to paint in acrylics (paintings), so maybe that will be a good avenue for me. Do you do a base coat, too?

Jim
hisyouthfulward

Post by hisyouthfulward »

Yep, a light gray usually does the trick for me. It helps the paint stick better to the plastic and if you're using Squadron putty to even out seams between the pieces, it will even out the difference in color between the green putty and the original color of the plastic so you won't see those seams when you're putting on the final coat of paint, if that makes sense.
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

Jim Beard wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:33 pm

Cool! I will watch! Are his videos for experienced modelers, or does he include neophytes like myself?

Jim
His expertise is painting miniatures, and in the first part he goes over how he had putty the seams, sand and prime at least three times. I would be no where near this guy's level, but the Batman model itself seems to be the easiest of the set to put together and paint.
BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast
Jim Beard

Post by Jim Beard »

hisyouthfulward wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:41 pm Yep, a light gray usually does the trick for me. It helps the paint stick better to the plastic and if you're using Squadron putty to even out seams between the pieces, it will even out the difference in color between the green putty and the original color of the plastic so you won't see those seams when you're putting on the final coat of paint, if that makes sense.
Whew, I got a lot to learn here!

Jim
dell

Post by dell »

One trick I have used is to put a white glue (like Elmer's) on the areas where the plastic glue will go. Model glue won't work on painted surfaces. Then you paint the model. When ready to assemble just chip off the white glue (and the paint covering the glue) and you have bare plastic for the model cement. An extra step, but you don't have to sand any paint off the joints to use your model cement. Just make sure you put the white glue only on surfaces that won't be seen once the model is assembled.
dell
Jim Beard

Post by Jim Beard »

dell wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:50 am One trick I have used is to put a white glue (like Elmer's) on the areas where the plastic glue will go. Model glue won't work on painted surfaces. Then you paint the model. When ready to assemble just chip off the white glue (and the paint covering the glue) and you have bare plastic for the model cement. An extra step, but you don't have to sand any paint off the joints to use your model cement. Just make sure you put the white glue only on surfaces that won't be seen once the model is assembled.
A great pro tip! Thanks!

Jim
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

What I used on the busts to get as close as I could to the look and color of the satin was a fairly even mix of Jacquard's "Lumiere" metallic "Indigo" and Jacquard's "Neopaque" in "Navy". You have to use Dull Cote over it or it's too shiny and you just see white highlights. The matte finish allows the metallic flake to work and shift with the light.

As far as the "grey" , the 66 suit matches the comics color pretty close with it's warm "Pinky Grey". These two book covers are a perfect "Color Card" to match at the paint shop.

Enjoy!!
Chuck...
Attachments
DSC_0019 (2).JPG
DSC_0056 (2).JPG
DSC_0197 (3).JPG
DSC_0005 (2).JPG
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info