Mad Hatter Contaminated Cowl Prop gun & retriever

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rsaffle

Mad Hatter Contaminated Cowl Prop gun & retriever

Post by rsaffle »

The Mad Hatter crashes a party and uses his "Reliable Ruby Retriever" to steal a Ruby from a hat. When Batman tries to stop him he gets sprayed with the Hatter's "Plastic Gun Filled with Radioactive Spraaay" turning his cowl bright PINK with radiation!

“The Contaminated Cowl”
Season 2, Episodes 35

I tried to search the internet for what this prop really was based on and couldn't figure it out. I tried looking up vintage make up sprayers, Perfume and Air Brushes and I had no luck. I remembered this episode of course, but I admit I couldn't have told you what the gun actually looked like.
Here you go in all its 3D printed glory. The Ruby Retriever is pretty funny, what this does more than just using his hand to grab the ruby still has me confused...but its still cool! LOL

My Bat props #59 & #60

Attachments
Cover B.jpg
Cover A.jpg
BBB.jpg
271751814_10159674396848629_1689182233602873056_n.jpg
271741733_10159674397013629_7796350436892769306_n.jpg
271744723_10159674397078629_3108783255794509731_n.jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
svl

Re: Mad Hatter Contaminated Cowl Prop gun & retriever

Post by svl »

U never cease to amaze...
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

This is another iconic prop combo to me given the hundreds of times I watched "The Contaminated Cowl" on my home recorded VHS tapes growing up.

Fantastic work as always my friend!
Meule

Post by Meule »

I never got the Ruby Retriever... Just use your hands, right? :lol:
Having said that, it's an awesome reproduction, as is the gun. I should get me one of those, to go with my pink cowl ;)
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Chazbat

Post by Chazbat »

For anyone that knows me, I have been researching this spray gun on and off for years, desperately trying to crack the code on what they used for this, with no luck either. I can't even begin to say how overjoyed I am that you've tackled this prop! Incredible. I simply must have one!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

My first impression from seeing this photo is that the base could be a wooden knob of sorts affixed to various pieces of metal based upon the Bat laser pistol and other custom parts.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Love hearing everyone's ideas. The search continues.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Chazbat wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:25 am For anyone that knows me, I have been researching this spray gun on and off for years, desperately trying to crack the code on what they used for this, with no luck either. I can't even begin to say how overjoyed I am that you've tackled this prop! Incredible. I simply must have one!
I started looking It actually sprays a fine mist in the show so I think it's a modified sprayer of some type but I have been looking to see if the base was possibly a salt shaker of some short too. I spent some time researching vintage air brushes which look the closest but I don't see anything with a sliding pull lever like this one appears to have. Also, the spray actually comes out of the bottom front tube and not the middle one with the bigger hole.

Just now I may have stumbled on the closest match yet!

This photo is a Vintage DEVILBISS NO.15 Small Glass Metal Nasal Atomizer Spray Bottle
Looks awful close to me! Cut this nozzle shorter and add the extra tubes and lever at top. The bottle shape looks right and the bottom tube comes out front and backside of the chrome cap. They could have concealed the squeeze bulb for the money shot.

There are many versions of the same thing. Rewatching the scene when it sprays I don't think the lever actually sprays the gun. The Hatters hand doesn't move at all like someone is working it off screen.

What do you guys think?
Attachments
Antique-USA-DeVilbiss-Clear-Glass-Nose-Throat-Atomizer.jpg
Antique-USA-DeVilbiss-Clear-Glass-Nose-Throat-Atomizer.jpg (15.48 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
test.jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

That definitely looks like the real McCoy!
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Meule

Post by Meule »

I don't know how you do it, but it looks like you're on to something there with that spray bottle
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Didn't see your Saturday post till today, looks like the nose/throat atomizer bottle is the prop with some added tubing! Nice detective work.
Attachments
hatter.jpg