Just thinking.....

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Larry A.

Just thinking.....

Post by Larry A. »

Hello Fellow Bat fans.
Being retired and disabled, I have time to occasionally surf the web. Today was such a day. I was looking up comments on FTC's Yvonne Craig Batgirl and I noticed that there were (are?) others like myself who really don't care for the face sculpt of Her, the way it was done.

I was just thinking... has anyone one thought of cutting the Barbra Gordon lower face area off of the figure and "transplanting it to the Batgirl figure? I suggest this because the area I have been reading complaints about the BG sculpt is the lower face and jaw area.

Sculpting is one area that I just can't seem to get the hang of.

Thoughts anyone, please?
Larry
AndyFish

Re: Just thinking.....

Post by AndyFish »

The FTC figures as a whole have been tough, I think they struck out with Batman in that line too. The Batgirl was particularly awkward looking to me. Their figures are poorly constructed too- and the women in general have strange hip trouble. Having said that, I'm not the market for these, I don't collect just because it exists, but I wanted to chime in that I agree with you-- not great sculpting.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

They are starting to offer these figures with the S body. That gives you flexibility and reduces the awkward hip. I used that body on my Molly. WGSH offers some 3D sculpts, but just men so far.

Here’s another thought: have you considered using the Batgirl head as a mask, that is cutting out the face and eyes, and sliding it over Barbara’s head, a sort of removable cowl. You can buy the heads separately so you can experiment with both approaches.

The 1/6 scale community offers international head sculptors, but the 1/9 scale community is lacking in real face sculpting. They do cartoon faces (Scooby-Doo villains are great) well.
Part of it is licensing, part of it is interest.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hi Folks,
Lou, I hadn't considered the new "S" Female Body. Actually, I HAD thought about, using the BG head as a mask, none the less thank You for bringing it up. My main reason for not doing it is that dog-gone bun on the back of her head as Barbara. I suppose that I could cut the bun off and then make a replaceable bun. That would give more play value. I'm not into play value. I"I agree with Andy" that the FTC figures are just NOT what I am looking for!. I just want a "decent" figure, Andy. :!:

Thank You both for the comments!

Cheers!
Larry
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

The Barbara Gordon is a great likeness to Yvonne, even when customised green!

Marta custom, Mego Kang and Lokai custom by Ian McLean, on Flickr

I don't mind the 8" Batgirl. I had to trim the hair, and her hips are a problem for those who are not package-openers.

Detective Comics Batgirl issue by Ian McLean, on Flickr

The Hallmark ornament is pretty cool!

Hallmark Batgirl ornament by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Has anyone tried to glue the faces together? If not, I guess that I'll try it. I am not certain which glue to use. Any suggestions?
Larry
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Just an update:
I'm buying the re-release of Batgirl from FTC to get the Purple outfit, then, using air dry clay, making cowl. The Body will be the S-body
with the large chest. Then I can hand stitch down the outfit in size to fit the smaller S-body. Using the air-dry clay, again, I will make the boots and gloves.

Once that is done, I will make the Black outfit from the comic.

Cheers!
Larry
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Larry, Andy Mangel can sculpt the head for you
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Lou Szabo wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:31 pm Larry, Andy Mangel can sculpt the head for you
Ok, Lou,

Thanks! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Larry