66 Batman Ideal Playset Recreation WIP

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rsaffle

Re: 66 Batman Ideal Playset Recreation WIP

Post by rsaffle »

The original playset has the Batcave in the center with an Art Museum at left and Wayne Manor on right.

Should I duplicate the original layout with a '66 theme or make them different rooms. Of course, I need the Batcave to stay. Gordan's office instead of Wayne manor? Villain's United lair instead of Art Museum? the McFarlane playset may have taken some of the steam away from that idea.

Is there a room from the series that would be a good fit to replace the art museum as a place for criminals to fight?
Attachments
s-l1600 (1).jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I feel like the obvious choice given the figures available might be to do a Gotham State Pen “Arch Criminal Wing” like we see in “The Entrancing Dr Cassandra”.
4AAD75E3-4F64-4835-8A87-2FB25108DD45.jpeg
4AAD75E3-4F64-4835-8A87-2FB25108DD45.jpeg (109.75 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Or maybe the Penguin's submarine?
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Created the Riddler art. It’s my 1st attempt at using Procreate for something like this.

Learned a bunch. Fun!
Attachments
CD44D4A0-11DE-4B60-BE3B-A98CB9DBC567.jpeg
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

More progress on the art. I'm learning to use Procreate so about the time I get most of these done, I will have learned enough to probably want to do them all again, but better. LOL

I need to remember these will only be printed at about 3 inches tall.
Fyi, I adjusted Riddler's foot and made it not so big.
Attachments
CAST.jpg
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

VERY Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Larry
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

These are looking great Randy, really like the style and the colouration.
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

These are excellent. I especially like the Cesar portrait!
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Appreciate the encouragement friends. I'm having fun dusting off the pencil and painting skills. So far my favorite part was the stripes in Jokers pants, just think they look cool. Also after doing the Riddler first, I've been trying to piece together my figures from multiple references so the poses are fresh looking.

I'm trying my hand at some vehicles right now.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

rsaffle wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:05 pm The original playset has the Batcave in the center with an Art Museum at left and Wayne Manor on right.

Should I duplicate the original layout with a '66 theme or make them different rooms. Of course, I need the Batcave to stay. Gordan's office instead of Wayne manor? Villain's United lair instead of Art Museum? the McFarlane playset may have taken some of the steam away from that idea.

Is there a room from the series that would be a good fit to replace the art museum as a place for criminals to fight?
Very cool idea to replicate the Ideal playset.

If you are going for a '66 motif, I would suggest it has no need for Gordon's office--nothing with play value happens there. Regarding the art museum, I'm of the opinion that both sides should be "scene of the crime" themed; Wayne manor is an important location, but a child would be quite satisfied with the Batcave being the central base of operations / how missions are undertaken. The theme of each "scene of the crime" section would work best being villain-neutral, so a child would get the most out of the figures (IOW, the Riddler would be more or less left out if one of the sections was heavily-leaning in the Penguin direction).

I do not know if you had any intention of creating a Green Hornet & Kato for the playset, but if your going the Dozierverse route, they would be a great addition, and something many a "1st generation" (ABC) Bat-fan would have flipped over seeing in the playset.
Beneath Wayne Manor
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

I’m moving along with this project fairly quickly. I have around 12 or so characters and vehicles done. Here is a GOON for our hero’s :D to punch.
Attachments
1BFA0CA3-FB68-4994-9E4B-F519B68D5388.jpeg
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I'm a broken record, but honestly I really do love the direction you're going with this buddy!
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Ben Bentley wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:40 am I'm a broken record, but honestly, I really do love the direction you're going with this buddy!
No broken record sir... I appreciate the motivation and feedback. Most of my projects are done fast and I knew this one would take some effort to get done so I'm enjoying sharing my progress.

I'm still trying to figure out the "Museum room" or the room for the villains to fight in. At the moment, I'm leaning towards your suggestion for the Gotham State Pen.

Thanks Ben!
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Could you have a room with a black speckled floor (like the soundstage used in the show) - maybe “curtains” depicted as the walls to match one of the common sets (say, Catwoman’s lair backgrounds), but have interchangeable vinyl “set pieces” so that it could be dressed for a variety of lairs and locations, like the show?
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

BiffPow wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:34 pm Could you have a room with a black speckled floor (like the soundstage used in the show) - maybe “curtains” depicted as the walls to match one of the common sets (say, Catwoman’s lair backgrounds), but have interchangeable vinyl “set pieces” so that it could be dressed for a variety of lairs and locations, like the show?
Not a bad idea but I think that would work better on its own instead of in this playset.
Maybe i could work on a room like that next.