Aurora Batman Repro Model Kit?

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
JimmyVale

Aurora Batman Repro Model Kit?

Post by JimmyVale »

I built an Aurora Batman kit in the 1970s. I was just a kid and probably did a pretty bad job on it but it was fun. It’s long gone.

Short of spending $100.00 or more on an original kit from eBay and building it, does a repro or knockoff version of the old Aurora kit exist? The one where he is hanging from the tree.

It’d be fun to re-live that time in the 1970s that I spent making a BATMAN model!
BATWINGED HORNET

Re: Aurora Batman Repro Model Kit?

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Aurora's Batman ("tree") kit was re-released several times over the decades. You mentioned building a kit in the 1970s--perhaps that was Aurora's 1974 Comic Scenes reissue, with updated box art (representing the character as he appeared in then-contemporary comics) and the comic / diorama backdrop?

Take a look at the linked site, and see if your childhood model is among the listed versions under "Product Timeline".

Aurora Batman model kit history: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aurora- ... an--234575
Beneath Wayne Manor
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:47 pm --perhaps that was Aurora's 1974 Comic Scenes reissue, with updated box art (representing the character as he appeared in then-contemporary comics) and the comic / diorama backdrop?

Take a look at the linked site, and see if your childhood model is among the listed versions under "Product Timeline".

Aurora Batman model kit history: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aurora- ... an--234575
Awesome site!

My older sister built the one from 1966 and I built the 1974 comic scenes reissue. I recall she painted the cape and cowl black which was “wrong” because it wasn’t how he looked at the time but I remember that being really cool!

I got the kit and built mine per the instructions. I had it in my room for years. I have no idea what happened to it. The comic was great, too.

I might get an unbuilt one and enjoy the build process again. It doesn’t seem anybody currently makes a reasonably priced reissue.

Somebody mentioned this before but in the ‘70s, if you were into Batman, you had the Corgi Batmobile, the comic books, some records where some group covered the TV theme, and the Aurora model. Maybe those power records with the accompanying comic book and maybe you could find the ViewMaster reels.

That was about it! In a way, less is more.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Just some differences in various years
1960’s had a circle on the chest, Batman script on tree trunk and an owl
1970’s eliminated those items
Later the head sculpts changed significantly
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Lou Szabo wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:43 am Just some differences in various years
1960’s had a circle on the chest, Batman script on tree trunk and an owl
1970’s eliminated those items
Later the head sculpts changed significantly
Yes - I recall reading up on that…

My sister built hers before 1974. I built mine probably in 1977 or 1978 so yes, our kits would be been a bit different.

There’s a ‘70s version unopened on eBay right now for a hundred bucks. I’m on the fence about whether to buy it or not.

I’ll be committing collector sacrilege by opening and building it but to me, it’d be worth it. My preference would be a ‘60s version with the owl but as far as I know, the heads for the 70s and 60s models are the same. I need the classic Batman head. Why did they change the head, anyway??? The model is a classic as is.

And….good job on yours, Lou! Cool avatar!
hisyouthfulward

Post by hisyouthfulward »

The head for both Batman and Superman's release in the 80's was to make them look more like the action figures for the recently released Super Powers toy line. Batman's redesign wasn't bad but the new sculpt for Superman is an abomination, looking like they were going more for Bizarro than the Man of Steel. Another option if you want to save some cash but still have the model is to buy one already built. They tend to be cheaper. It's fairly easy to strip old paint off a model, using either a specifically designed model paint stripper or even by using Pine Sol. After the paint is removed, you can apply your own paint scheme and you've got a masterpiece on your shelf!
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Perhaps I am a fool. I just went ahead and bought the kit on eBay. The heck with it! I just paid a ridiculous price for this but it’s worth it to me. I had this exact 1974 kit a kid. Now, as an adult (sort of), I’m going to build it the best I can. Spray paint, filling, sanding, etc.

I think I’m going to go with the exact color scheme that’s on the 1965 box example.
753EA28D-115D-4C60-AAA8-E67BD83ABACE.jpeg
Classic!

F9C7A944-2E83-4A4C-A2F6-F1D02B4B1984.jpeg
50FD203F-88A2-466E-B44B-E91F56AC7463.jpeg
29F5EFB5-2B38-4372-BCC1-CF21E3A6CBCC.jpeg
Oh - and this record HAS to be played throughout the entire build process for the full effect, Mua ha ha ha!!
49F845C1-DDC0-4FA7-A446-593133606DD4.jpeg
49F845C1-DDC0-4FA7-A446-593133606DD4.jpeg (70.64 KiB) Viewed 17105 times
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

JimmyVale wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:01 pm Perhaps I am a fool. I just went ahead and bought the kit on eBay. The heck with it! I just paid a ridiculous price for this but it’s worth it to me. I had this exact 1974 kit a kid. Now, as an adult (sort of), I’m going to build it the best I can. Spray paint, filling, sanding, etc.

I think I’m going to go with the exact color scheme that’s on the 1965 box example. 753EA28D-115D-4C60-AAA8-E67BD83ABACE.jpegClassic!

F9C7A944-2E83-4A4C-A2F6-F1D02B4B1984.jpeg50FD203F-88A2-466E-B44B-E91F56AC7463.jpeg29F5EFB5-2B38-4372-BCC1-CF21E3A6CBCC.jpeg

Oh - and this record HAS to be played throughout the entire build process for the full effect, Mua ha ha ha!!

We all need something to look forward to. I predict you will get much more enjoyment from it than what it cost.

Have fun Jimmy!
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

rsaffle wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:39 pm
JimmyVale wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:01 pm Perhaps I am a fool. I just went ahead and bought the kit on eBay. The heck with it! I just paid a ridiculous price for this but it’s worth it to me. I had this exact 1974 kit a kid. Now, as an adult (sort of), I’m going to build it the best I can. Spray paint, filling, sanding, etc.

I think I’m going to go with the exact color scheme that’s on the 1965 box example. 753EA28D-115D-4C60-AAA8-E67BD83ABACE.jpegClassic!

F9C7A944-2E83-4A4C-A2F6-F1D02B4B1984.jpeg50FD203F-88A2-466E-B44B-E91F56AC7463.jpeg29F5EFB5-2B38-4372-BCC1-CF21E3A6CBCC.jpeg

We all need something to look forward to. I predict you will get much more enjoyment from it than what it cost.

Have fun Jimmy!
I agree with Randy, he hit the nail on the head as far as cost versus enjoyment. Have fun and show let us know how it turns out!
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Absolutely - no buyer’s remorse!

Now to get him built and painted up just right. I might deviate a little from the example. Here’s the plan:

1. Almost everything will be spray painted. Exceptions are the eyes and face. This is because I used a brush as a kid and it didn’t look as good as it should have but hey - I was probably 12 the 1st go round! I bet it was my first model, too!

2. Inside of the cape, semi gloss or satin black. I think that’s what’s on the 1964 box example, and regardless, that’ll look cool.
3. Outside of the cape, satin or semi-gloss dark blue. The example on the 1964 box is too light for me.
4. Gloves, briefs, cowl - satin or semi-gloss blue. The example on the 1964 box is too light for me.
5. Bodysuit - flat Matt dark grey. I think the example is too light. I’m going to keep it grey, no blue tint at all.

Satin, semi-gloss on the cowl with the black part on the front being flat black.

That’s the plan. I consider this to be a do-over of what was a sort of botched job done as a kid.

I’ll post the finished result but I think it’ll be a while before I can even start on it. Yeah…Im really looking forward to this!!!
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Will the eyes be white, or painted in eyes? Brass belt buckle, chest emblem..holy can of worms.

By the way, I was able to buy an owl, and occasionally someone sell the trunk with the Batman script
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I found a link to a Batman model reference. http://theclubhouse1.net/museum/batman2.htm

Great variety of paint and finishes
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Lou Szabo wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:49 pm Will the eyes be white, or painted in eyes? Brass belt buckle, chest emblem..holy can of worms.

By the way, I was able to buy an owl, and occasionally someone sell the trunk with the Batman script
I’m going for a pre-TV show, comic book based look. The eyes will be white, no brass belt buckle. IMO, the example on the original Aurora box doesn’t quite depict Batman in the comics correctly, so I guess I’m going for a “comic accurate” look. The example is a light blue. I’m going a little bit darker to match the comic panels a little better.

And yes, getting the owl would be a nice touch.
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Lou Szabo wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:52 pm I found a link to a Batman model reference. http://theclubhouse1.net/museum/batman2.htm

Great variety of paint and finishes
Very nice!! Thank you!
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

I paint most of my 3D props with spray cans. I use a clear satin and matte spray to modify my finishes and get nice looks. Glossy paint always seems to show too many flaws and looks a little unnatural to me. What's neat about doing it this way, is not all spraycan colors are available in all the finishes so I buy whatever is available and modify the appearance after with the clear sprays.

I also use Bondo Spot putty and Filler Primer to level everything out.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/