Aurora Batman Repro Model Kit?

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Lou Szabo

Re: Aurora Batman Repro Model Kit?

Post by Lou Szabo »

I wish I would have known those pro tips when I was building these in’74. Instead of satin or matte spray, I let dust do the work

Not a fan of dust
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Lou Szabo wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:23 pm I wish I would have known those pro tips when I was building these in’74. Instead of satin or matte spray, I let dust do the work

Not a fan of dust
I hear ya. I used to complete models and put them in individual display cases to keep the dust off. Then I’d end up with little display boxes everywhere which didn’t look good.

What’s worked well for me is leaving them out and using some keyboard cleaner compressed air and/or a soft dry paintbrush to dust them off once in a while. The dry brush works best, I’ve found.

Thanks for the modeling tips, I’m a bit rusty. I’ve been building tank models and that’s similar, but pretty much everything is painted flat.

The colors have to be right and the sheen has to be right for my Aurora Batman project. It’ll take some time for me to get the paints together and test compatibilities if I’m going with any kind of clear coat. Good idea having the clear coat determine the sheen!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

JimmyVale wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:20 pm

I’m going for a pre-TV show, comic book based look. The eyes will be white, no brass belt buckle.
Good! In all likelihood, the model was based on the impact of the comics' "New Look" Batman, from 1964 (hence the timing of the kit's production), not the TV series. Up-thread, you mentioned wanting to use the box photo as your guide, and I believe that's the way to go, as it was one of Aurora's product builds (for boxes, ads, dealer catalogs, etc.), which was close to their intention as anyone can get.
Beneath Wayne Manor
hisyouthfulward

Post by hisyouthfulward »

So, this isn't for your Batman model, Jimmy, but it's a great resource to see how one modeler updated the Robin kit. An incredible amount of work went into the rebuild and there's also a section on how he restored the Aurora Batman and Penguin kits. You'll find these at the end of the Robin section, just keep scrolling down. I hope you enjoy as you work on your kit.

Robin, the Boy Wonder kit restoration
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Here's a great image for the 1965 Aurora version - restored

JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

hisyouthfulward wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:16 pm So, this isn't for your Batman model, Jimmy, but it's a great resource to see how one modeler updated the Robin kit. An incredible amount of work went into the rebuild and there's also a section on how he restored the Aurora Batman and Penguin kits. You'll find these at the end of the Robin section, just keep scrolling down. I hope you enjoy as you work on your kit.

Robin, the Boy Wonder kit restoration

That was an interesting read! The story about adding lighting to the machines in the Robin model is inspiring!

Great photos, too!

I am re-thinking how I’m going to build him. I think I’m going to stay within my ability and build the kit as suggested by the instructions after all. This would be a model that a 12 year old boy would build, but spray painted, and as flawless as possible. I’m not going to do any radical upgrades.

Looking at all the photos of the other Batman builds, mine might not turn out quite that good, but I’m going to put on some music - BAT Music, and have fun working on it.

Thanks for the info, guys!
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Lou Szabo wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:44 pm Here's a great image for the 1965 Aurora version - restored

Oh man - that’s at another level!!!!

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Jimmy - I just bought that on ebay. Been looking for years and always outbid. Can't wait until it arrives. I have to get a compressor....
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Lou Szabo wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:45 am Jimmy - I just bought that on ebay. Been looking for years and always outbid. Can't wait until it arrives. I have to get a compressor....
That was built and painted by an expert modeler. Enjoy!

I’m doing research on how I’m going to paint my model when it arrives. I’ve gone back to the photo on the 1964 box and am going to replicate that with the 74 model:

Apparently there was a “prototype” of this model, with a smaller base!

Even though the cape and cowl don’t look like the same color, I think it’s just from the photos and I suspect they’re the SAME model!!! Check the detailing on the cape! It matches!

Fascinating!

The research continues….this is fun!
hisyouthfulward

The story with the smaller base was that it was done so that most of the focus was on the figure of Batman. However, it was too small to accommodate the weight and leaning of the figure and that made the model tip over too easily so a longer base was added.
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

I am awaiting the arrival of the best Tamiya lacquer spray paints I could find before I begin on this historic kit. I bought an owl from eBay. I also got some modeling putty.

There are just 2 things remaining for me to convert the ‘74 kit to the original ‘64 kit:

1. The “BATMAN” lettering on the tree.
2. The embossed Bat emblem on the chest. I think that’d be superior to the sticker.

I might try sculpting the emblem with Sculpey or modeling putty somehow. This is risky because I’ve never done any sculpting but - I think it depends on how bad one wants it. I want this model to look right!!! 👍🏻

The same approach might work with the “BATMAN” tree lettering. Man, this might be a challenge!

I am open to suggestions.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I'm interested in learning the process so please document it as much as you can. you might find letter molds at hobby lobby. I'd also keep my eyes on ebay for parts - that's how I got mine. sometimes its just the tree or just the torso.
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Lou Szabo wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:23 pm I'm interested in learning the process so please document it as much as you can. you might find letter molds at hobby lobby. I'd also keep my eyes on ebay for parts - that's how I got mine. sometimes its just the tree or just the torso.
Will do!

I’m still just researching and ordering supplies. Every time I build a model, I forget about the enamel vs lacquer compatibility potential problems. This time, I just decided everything’s gonna be Tamiya spray lacquer - no enamel.

While waiting, I'm planning how to do this build. The goal is - create a 1964 kit from a less expensive 1974 kit. And just for the fun of it, I’m going to try to recreate the 1964 example build picture on the box. Complete with orange background!
69AF9B4A-73F9-42B1-865B-DB25455C4EFD.png
And - absolutely, I will document this build and will make a slideshow at the end.
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

68A04D5C-C2B8-4970-931E-58664E72EFEB.jpeg
The dominant colors will probably be this. Not comic book accurate but neither is Aurora’s example!
hisyouthfulward

Jimmy, thin sheets of styrene plastic are available for modelers. You could get a fairly thin sheet, trace out the letters, use a nice, sharp Exacto knife and make your letters that way. If you look real closely at the tree trunk for your kit, you may be able to make out where the original lettering was placed before they retooled the kit. If you look below the "knot" at the top of the trunk, you can see that the texture of the bark isn't the same as the rest of the tree. If you look closely at Batman's chest, you can make out the circle for the original bat-insignia that was removed for the Comic Scenes repop back in the 70's and all further reissues.
I'm in the slow, slow process of kitbashing a Nightwing kit from a Batman repop. As you can see, the styrene letters you make can be added to the trunk. Good luck!
Attachments
IMG_4681.JPG