My Utility Belt

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Batdave

My Utility Belt

Post by Batdave »

I've started working on a utility belt. Thanks to all the information on this board it is not the impossible task it once seemed to be. I bought a piece of 12 x 6 inch brass made by K&S. They make all kinds of hobby metal if you are looking for anything. Bought mine from Tower Hobby, but plenty of places sell it. After cutting it to the correct size (thanks to the info from the resources section), I used a grinder to get the correct shape, then used an orbital sander to smooth everything out w/ 220 sand paper. I use 400 then 800 sandpaper to get the front polished, after that I used buffing compound on my orbital car waxer to give it a mirror finish. At first I attempted to solder the belt hook and belt attachment part, but that was a disaster. I consider myself very handy but I cannot solder. So instead I used Gorilla epoxy. Holds great and much easier. I was concerned about how best to etch the bat symbol and outline, but once again I found all the info i need on the board. I made a template from a thin piece of plastic and used double sided tape to adhere it to the buckle. Using the engraving bit on the dremel I did the outline and then went up and down making vertical lines. I am happy with how it came out. Now onto the belt and pouches...
Finished Buckle
Finished Buckle
Buckle.jpg (93.64 KiB) Viewed 8795 times
Dark Detective

Re: My Utility Belt

Post by Dark Detective »

Very nice. Can you provide a picture of the back of the belt buckle?

Thanks,

John
BatBob

Post by BatBob »

Nice work, Dave! ;)
Batdave

Post by Batdave »

Heres a shot of the back. Not too pretty, but should do the job. Had a heck of a time bending the hook part. It all about the right tools for the right job. I have just about everything for wood working, but not much for metal working...yet.
Buckle back
Buckle back
Buckle back.jpg (96.34 KiB) Viewed 8730 times
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Looking good so far!

I love watching peoples projects come together.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Looking good!!

Nice solution to the soldering.
WELL DONE!!

I look forward to seeing it come together!!

Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
ghostdog

Post by ghostdog »

Looks good to me!!! :-)
What a GREAT place to be!!!
Meule

Post by Meule »

Sweet looking belt buckle
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Batdave

Post by Batdave »

I have the leather. I am just deciding what thickness the wood blocks should be 1/2 or 3/4. I feel like 1/2 is too thin and 3/4 maybe too think. What have others used ?
UltraBat

Post by UltraBat »

Excellant work on the buckle!