Upgrade to the McFarlane Villain’s Lair cat food GE monitor refrigerator.

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
BiffPow

Upgrade to the McFarlane Villain’s Lair cat food GE monitor refrigerator.

Post by BiffPow »

I got inspired to start upgrading the villain’s lair. To that end, I’m starting with the retro GE monitor refrigerator. Found a new color that seems to match the screen color pretty well. While it looks pink in the film, none of the pink paints seem to be a match. Then I found this newly released Rustoleum paint: gloss dreamy lavender, which appears to be the closest to the shade used in the movie. All that’s left is to create the decals to add to the door.

The refrigerator I used is a diecast, very heavy duty miniature, probably from the 1970s. You can find them easily on eBay. It’s an impressive miniature, 1/12 scale. Perfect for the lair.
Attachments
950AB7A1-3F4F-4EA3-8DAE-9A376CCF91F0.jpeg
3A3FA6E9-CABE-4455-A74D-C6B4602409A1.jpeg
D2EE231E-249E-4208-842A-5E79B9926FAA.jpeg
434AB89B-C5D0-4636-9DE1-97A54EFC0944.jpeg
4C141553-2CC7-42F4-9916-44F9B68F1F26.jpeg
Lou Szabo

Re: Upgrade to the McFarlane Villain’s Lair cat food GE monitor refrigerator.

Post by Lou Szabo »

Wow, great eye for detail with that find and modification!
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Thanks, Lou!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Totally agree with Lou, great eye!

Do you have any more upgrades planned? I started designing a wall panel to extend out and incorporate the window above the bookshelves a while back but with the shelf my play set is displayed on it wouldn't really get seen, so I abandoned the idea for now at least.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Thanks, again, Ben.

Yes, I am thinking of re-creating the room backdrop, too, instead of using MacFarlane’s version. Adding a few things as I go along. But, I do like the other accessories that comes with the set.

One of the things I am considering: painting one of those old miniature metal gramophone record player pencil sharpeners as a prop for the gramophone seen sitting on top of the bookcases in the movie. It’s a little large for the plastic bookcases, but if I re-create the backdrop, and extend the top of the bookcases further toward the wall, it should fit fairly well. Would like to find a mini gramophone that’s just a bit smaller, though.
Attachments
ED4011F6-03B4-41BF-BEEF-553B5A67BCA4.jpeg
163388D6-6811-400D-8463-B692878B7CC6.jpeg
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

antman67

Post by antman67 »

Your attention to detail is impressive
I'm a fan of Batman 1966 and other Batman movies too
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Lou Szabo wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:11 am
That’s it. Good price, too!
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

antman67 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:14 am Your attention to detail is impressive
Thanks, Antman! There are so many people on this board that truly have incredible eyes for detail.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Not me I guess because I have never even noticed that washer in the movie and now I look up pictures and it's all I see. Lol

I enjoy watching the Bat craftiness displayed on this forum.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

rsaffle wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:44 am Not me I guess because I have never even noticed that washer in the movie and now I look up pictures and it's all I see. Lol

I enjoy watching the Bat craftiness displayed on this forum.
LOL. I hope it didn’t ruin that experience for you. One of the things I enjoy doing when I watch old TV shows and movies is identifying props and art and their real counterparts. I’m guessing that’s true of many people here, including you.

Decades ago, when the Cincinnati RKO theater closed for good, my parents went to the auction. The walls were decorated with artwork that had been used in some of the old studio productions and in television shows. They purchased one antique print and I have since seen that print in different productions, including “Hogan’s Heroes.”

When McFarlane released this set, I was just happy to have a representation of something unique from the show/feature length movie, but I kept wanting to add to it. I’ve seen what other members on this site do, so I think I am not alone in this regard.

BTW: It does favor a washer, but it is actually an old refrigerator, what they call a “monitor refrigerator.”
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125768406506
Another fridge. Not cheap, and doesn’t keep stuff cold either
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Yeah, because they are vintage, they’re getting a bit pricey now. With patience you can get a good deal. There’s one that’s quite reasonable and in nice shape that has a bid (hopefully by someone on this board).

I also saw one for $15 but with significant paint loss. But if you don’t mind sanding…
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Finished the refrigerator and added a styrene extension to the top of filing cabinet for my version of the Metallic Confetti sign, as Ian has previously highlighted. The sign in the film is taller than the blank tab on McFarlane’s cabinet. I wanted to make a version that matched the film prop a bit better. You can see what I did to add the extension. Not difficult - just measure carefully.

I noticed, as well, that the McFarlane set spells “catnip” as two words, for some reason. I corrected that.

The refrigerator labels are good, clean and straight, but because of the low res image, they may appear to be a little bit jagged.
Attachments
CA3F64AF-4121-4E95-86E3-59F560A03ECA.jpeg
C98E004F-A4F2-4C1C-AA8A-19FB18D2BB49.jpeg
9C125CBA-FC88-4953-8661-532E824F0144.jpeg